Partition with Leopard Disk Utility BEFORE install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nomad98, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Nomad98 macrumors newbie

Is it possible to partition your drive, booted from the Leopard Install disk using the Leopard Disk Utility before you install Leopard? I don't want to overwrite my current OS setup and don't presently have a partition.

Thanks

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I believe you will be able to do it.

From the way Disk Utility appears to work, you'll have to do it in two steps. First, resize the original partition to create free space. Then, create a new partition in the newly created free space.

Remember to first make a full backup of your current drive, before doing any repartitioning. Mistakes are very unforgiving.

3. Nomad98 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried and it won't do it? Failed... ? Tried to resize my drive to make room for the partition and got this error... I have also tried to just add the partition and get the same error?

"Filesystem repair or verify failed!"

I am on a 17 inch Macbook Pro with 10.4.9...

4. Nomad98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Am I the only person that has thought of using Leopard's disc utility to partition the drive BEFORE I install? It seems like a no-brainer since Leopard is supposed to partition on the fly...

Boot up from the install disc, partition your drive, then install Leopard on the new partition so you wont loose your old OS!

OF COURSE I CAN'T GET IT TO WORK!!!

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Unless I missed something, I believe that Leopard will only partition the boot drive on the fly - not another volume (as booting from the DVD and partitioning the HDD is attempting to do). Also, this is from a Leopard boot drive, not 10.4.x.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Worked fine on my external drive.