Partitioning problem with Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by knobtwiddler, Oct 13, 2007.

1. knobtwiddler macrumors regular

knobtwiddler

Alright, I'm trying to set up bootcamp 1.4 with the bootamp assistant and when I try to partition the disks it keeps on saying "Verification failed. This disk could not be partitioned. Use disk utility to repair this disk". So, I repair the permissions on my disks and try again, same error message. DO I need a lot of free space? In the partition options its set at 50GB/10GB free for the mac and 5GB for windows. I have 15GB free on my mac. What's happening here? I really don't wanna have to go back to virtual pc.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Repair disk is different than repair permissions. To do a repair on the boot volume, you need to startup on a different volume (like the OS-X restore disk).

If there wasn't enough space, you probably would have seen the "can't move file" error.

edit: I'm not sure what you mean by "go back to Virtual PC", as it won't run on an Intel Mac. If your machine is a PPC, you can't boot to Windows using BootCamp.

3. knobtwiddler thread starter macrumors regular

knobtwiddler

to startup from a different disk, don't I restart and hold in c? Also, will repairing the disk erase everything?

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes, hold c during startup. Repairing the disk erases nothing :)

5. knobtwiddler thread starter macrumors regular

knobtwiddler

I don't currently have my OSX restore disk? Can I boot from some kind of disk repair cd? Like disk doctor?

6. knobtwiddler thread starter macrumors regular

knobtwiddler