Partitioning Problems

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Martytiptoes, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Martytiptoes macrumors newbie

Hi, I have two problems with my MacBook right now. I'm sure these problems are somehow related, so please read them both.

A few months ago, I successfully made a 50GB partition on my MacBook with Boot Camp to install Windows XP on it. While this was running fine, I did not need to use it anymore after a few days, as it is annoying to have my MacBook start up to Windows XP if I forget to hold the Option key down during a boot up.

Naturally, I just opened up Boot Camp Assistant and simply deleted the partition. Now here is the problem: Though I have the memory back, every time I reboot my MacBook WITHOUT holding down the Option key, it attempts to start up Windows XP and gives me an error message about no Boot Disk.

Now that's the first problem. Though it is a small problem, it is still a nuisance.

Now for my SECOND problem: I need to have Windows 7 on my computer now. But every time I try to make a new partition, I get an error. "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved."

I have a strong feeling this has to do with the past partition I deleted, but I have no clue how to approach this. I googled the problem, and saw some answers but none work for me. I backed up my drive on an external hard drive with Time Machine, and then I erased the free space in Disk Utilities, but it did not work. I even tried verifying/repairing disk permissions.

So if anyone here could offer any help at all, I would very much appreciate it.

2. Martytiptoes thread starter macrumors newbie

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

In both situations, open System Prefs > Startup Disk and set it to your OS-X partition. With the BC partition gone, there shouldn't be any other boot volumes available. After installing Windows in BC, I'd suggest using Startup Disk to set the default back to your OS X volume. Then, when you want to boot to Windows, you can use the OPT key on startup. Next restart will boot to OS X.

There shouldn't have been any virtual MBR volume left after deleting it with BC Assistant. Weird.

Erasing a partition won't affect any others, so if there is still a problem with the partition table, it won't fix it. You need to delete the current partitions and create a new, single partition using Disk Utility (double check the table type is GUID by clicking the Options button from the Partition tab), then Restore from Time Machine. I assume you're using Disk Utility and TM restore when booted to the Recovery Partition.

(Creating a new partition table won't affect the Recovery Partition. It will be recreated when OS X is restored onto the drive. Any time you Restore/Install OS X through Disk Utility (TM restore) a new Restore Partition will be created. It's hidden in Disk Utility, as you probably know.)

The reason you got the error from BC Assist is pretty much what the error message said - there are files located in the sectors BC Assistant needs for the new partition. Restoring from TM should consolidate files eliminating those in conflicting areas. Using something like iDefrag would also fix it.

4. Martytiptoes thread starter macrumors newbie

How do you restore from Time Machine. I'm sorry for these stupid questions.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Don't feel like they're stupid questions. There are some here, but yours definitely is not among them :)

I had the impression that after you erased the partition, and said it didn't work, that you had tried Restoring from your backup (since it's part of Apple's fix for the "can't move file" issue).

When you startup on the Recovery partition, the first screen you see should have Restore from Time Machine as one of the choices (same place I assume you ran Disk Utility from). From there, you should be able to select your Time Machine drive and which specific backup you want as a source.