Partitioning with Disk Utility

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iZac, Oct 28, 2007.

1. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

I have a lil problem that i hope you could help me with:

I wrote out a longer query and just deleted it to keep my question short and sweet:

I have two partitions on my boot disk made using disk utility, one partition is empty. Can i merge the two partitions non destructively using disk utility? (boot camp wont recognise the smaller partition)

EDIT: im running retail Leopard

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You should be able to delete the unneeded partition, then resize the main one to reclaim the free space.

I did a bit of playing with the on-the-fly partitioning and Disk Utility is very verbose about which partition will be unaffected and which will be erased or deleted. edit: But, just in case, you should still have a complete backup before attempting any repartitioning.

3. iZac thread starter macrumors 68000

iZac

Cheers :p im backing up 60 gig as we speak. Im a bit more confident about doing things like this when i have a bit of a consensus ...

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Sounds good.

As I mentioned, i played a bit with it and did several resize, add, delete, and recover the space. All worked fine. The only thing you can't do (that I know of) is move a partition. For instance: starting with 2 partitions, you can't make the 1st one smaller, then increase the 2nd to recover the free space.

5. iZac thread starter macrumors 68000

iZac

Ace, from the main disk partition menu, it let me erase the smaller partition, (small +/ - sign under the disks graphic representation) then resize my boot partition to recover the space by click dragging the main partition around. I'm quite impressed it let me bugger around with the disk while im booted from it!

cheers! for pointing me in the right direction