Partner wants a new PC, I would like another MAC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macfem, Jan 14, 2010.

1. macfem macrumors member

He's very technical and I'm having a hard time winning him over [​IMG]. Any talking points that might help me win him over?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Let him try it out with yours?

Other than that it is his choice.

Look around with MRoogle to find many threads about Windows vs. Mac OS X.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

As he's very technical that should be irrelevant ;).

Completely agreed, you should at least let him make an informed choice.

4. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Is it a joint computer or is it his or yours. If it is joint let him know that you are happier with a mac, but point out that you can add windows with bootcamp, so it would suit the both of you. If it is his let him buy what ever computer that he wants. If it is yours get what you want.

5. alywa macrumors 6502

If you are going to share, get a mac, run windows 7 via boot camp. Win-win.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How is "spending time protecting against malware" vs. "not spending time protecting against malware" solved by being technical?

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No sure what you means when you say your partner is very technical. There are plenty of technical people on the Mac side too.

1) Macs and run Windows, PCs can't run OS X

2) Macs are easier to maintain and have less downtime = greater productivity

3) Macs are more secure

4) You are more comfortable with OS X, which means you'll be more productive

5) If your company is already using a Mac it doesn't make sense to split OSes. The bulk of the company should be on one system, going to the other only when s/w isn't supported by the other.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because if you know what you're doing you don't need to spend a great deal of time protecting against Malware. Windows Vista/7 have much better security than earlier versions so you don't have to try as hard.

On Windows 7 its probably worth running a firewall and checking what you download and keeping your software up to date - but you have to do those things on a Mac too.

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Tell him "You enjoy f***ing around with a bloody computer all the time, I don't. I want a computer that works. And this one that you picked is so bloody ugly, it won't come near my living room, it won't come near my bedroom, if you want to use it, you can use it in your garden shed".

With this kind of person, trying to win on technical points is pointless. He knows better. He thinks fixing a broken computer shows his superiority, when buying a computer that doesn't need fixing in the first place would have been a lot more clever. Your point should be: You want what you want, and if he doesn't agree, that is just tough. If he loves you, he'll buy a Mac. If he doesn't buy a Mac, it just shows that he doesn't care about you. Mac + bed vs. PC + sofa, that is an argument that he will understand.

(And from experience, truly technical people all use Macs. The ones that use PCs are the wannabees who think they are clever because the can install anti-virus software. Rocket scientists and brain surgeons spend their time doing rocket science and brain surgery, not messing around with their computer. :D )

10. guyofgoscote macrumors newbie

guyofgoscote

Be careful what you wish for?

In my house I am the techie who prefers the MAC, and my spouse uses the PC.
    I prefer the MAC because it works, and I can use it instead of constantly mending it. IT is also better at decoding all of the obscure files that people send me from around the world.
    At least you are confident that your MAC, no matter how old, will just keep working.

11. macfem thread starter macrumors member

HA!

12. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If you "talk him into a Mac" he will always be finding a reason to complain about it.

Switching is a personal choice and the adjustments involved will take longer if the user is not personally convinced of the benefits.

If he'd rather use a Windows PC, let him use what he's comfortable with.

13. macfem thread starter macrumors member

I think one of the issues is what our children will be learning to use. That's a tough one for us both [​IMG]. The other is cost.

14. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Many children are raised bilingual why not with two OSs?

I don't know how old your children are or if you have any, but one can always wait with the purchase if money is a factor.
    Or buy refurbished or used.

As far as I know, there are only few people (maybe only one) who want to have a computer for their three months old child, but there are quite a few who introduce their children to computers at the age of two to four years.

15. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Go this route. Mention that you can write a partition for windows; all for your partner.

Just let your partner use your Mac and they'll see the value :cool:

Good luck!

Habitus :apple:

16. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

First, the Mac can run Windows as well - either in a Virtual Machine or as dual boot. Second, your children are likely to get most of their computer experience in school and elsewhere on Windows. Giving them early experience to multiple operating systems will be really good for them.

As far as cost goes, I would actually argue that the lifecycle costs of a Mac often are lower than that of a PC. You can currently buy a refurbished (good as new, same warranty) iMac for as little as $850. The iMac is unlikely to need any significant operating system maintenance over its lifespan. A Windows computer, especially one used by kids, will likely need major operating system maintenance every 18 months or so. If your husband is capable of doing that work himself, that won't cost much more than time, but if he isn't people often use that as an excuse that they 'need a new computer.' Finally, your iMac will likely still be worth $400 or more 4-5 years from now. Your PC will most likely go to the dump.

Just some thoughts from someone who maintains Windows computers all day at work and plays on Macs at night. :p

17. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Apple very nicely did all the legwork for you (kind of handy how that works out for them, increasing sales and all :p): http://www.apple.com/getamac/

18. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

No worries, all PCs come with a new MAC address of it's own. :)

;)

19. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Kids? Oh get the Mac, they'll use it long after you do.

One thing that people don't consider when they angrily shout about the cost is that it's only the UPFRONT cost. These machines last years and years and years saving you loads and loads and loads of cash and advil!!!

iMac G3's (from about 1999) are still a popular choice for kids 10 and under...the computer is as old as they are!

Get the mac, when your kids ask you "mommy, why do the other kids at school always have to buy new computers" you'll think of all the money and time you've saved.

Not to mention, when you sell it it will be worth something ;)

20. chill. macrumors 6502

a lot of these reasons are really nonsense. this is what it boils down to in the end:

reason to get a pc: cheaper

reason to get a mac: looks

99% of the things windows can do, osx can do and vice versa (for the casual user). if you are a more technical user then windows starts trumping osx due to its compatibility, variety, and flexibility with programs. if you have some common sense then viruses aren't a problem. macs and pcs are built from the same parts. etc. etc.

so weigh looks vs cost

21. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I think you are highly over-simplifying things here. You have to look at the bigger picture than just up-front purchase cost. Technically speaking, it depends on what programs you need. There are tons of highly technical users on all platforms. Viruses (and worse) are a problem on Windows, even for technical users with common sense. It's extremely difficult to avoid them forever. I've just dealt with infections on a couple of my most technically proficient user's machines. It happens. One of them was root-kitted and required a full format and reinstall.

22. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

If, in truth, he's "technical," he should know the benefits of a Unix-based operating system (OS X). He also should know Windows legacy technology, i.e. the awful registry system and use of garbage *.dll files, is reason enough to abandon Windows.

Buy him a Unix book. Show him the terminal. Then let him display his technical prowess.

23. chill. macrumors 6502

i am looking at the big picture. mac machines don't magically last 5+ years longer than pcs. and macs don't have a lower failure rate than pcs. software for windows is much better developed and includes a lot of free alternatives. i'm still using the trial versions of steermouse and controllermate because there are ZERO free alternatives for mac. on windows there are dozens.

many "core" applications for mac are ports with problems because they're optimized to run natively on windows. office 2008 is gimped and flash on mac is atrocious. a lot of good software like utorrent, google chrome, most modern games, etc. are developed for mac as an afterthought and takes months to years of delay.

you are right though that macs are more secure for the casual user. i have never been affected by a crippling virus so i guess i was underestimating the problem. however, macs are just as susceptible to trojans as windows users are. yes, there are no viruses on mac but there do exist proofs of concept that viruses can infect macs. and apple is also notoriously slow in fixing exploits. every year at famous hacking conventions, the mac is always the first to have its security penetrated

24. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Well, I'm just speaking from experience here, but as 'the computer guy' for all my friends and family (as well as for my job), those who have moved to Mac's need my assistance far less than those on PC's. My mom is a perfect case study. She has a small business that for years had 3-4 pc's, each of which inevitably needed some kind of major software maintenance every 18 months to 2 years. Then she started switching to Apple. Her first was a 12" Powerbook. She just retired that machine late last year after 6 years of daily use. I never did a single thing to that computer. And she sold it for $400 after all that time! Same deal with her iMac that is now 5 years old; I've never had to touch it. It's been a similar story with my other friends and family. Whatever the technical reasons or the 'possibility' of getting infected, in the real world, in my experience, they just require far less maintenance.