iPad Passcode users that were waiting for new iPads: no Touch ID = deal breaker?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vaultwit, Oct 23, 2013.

1. vaultwit macrumors regular

If you are a passcode user (you need to have your device locked with a passcode) that was waiting for the new iPads, is the absence of Touch ID a deal breaker for you?

In other words, will you be fine with entering in a passcode every time you use your iPad?

2. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502

Yes it is.

I was all set to buy the Ipad Air, but after using my 5S, I cannot go back. I'll wait another 6 months or whenever they put it in.

I dont plan on upgrading ipads after every iteration like some people. So the one I buy better be exactly what I want.

3. troubleonline macrumors 6502a

troubleonline

I'll live but I do find myself automatically expecting my ipad to scan my finger :rolleyes:

If I were buying myself then I would prob wait but as it is for work and really need to update from my iPad 2 to something faster and lighter...... plus I don't open my iPad nearly as much as I do my iPhone so not really a hassle.

I can't see them adding it before 12 months.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Nope. It's a nice feature but weight was the only deal breaker for me.

5. mikeyhd macrumors member

This is how I felt yesterday, pretty piss off, then I have a feeling that 6 month down the road there will be a new iPad, hate to have a new one six month after dishing $1K

Now reading/interfering/guessing the forums/rumours there seems to have a pro version, if thre pro version is coming with touch ID and heavier/bigger, then I'm ok with the Air version for now. I don't want bigger and heavier.

Decision time...

6. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502

I dont see a reason for it to be heavier IF they add TouchID, more ram, and boosted CPU.

Now if they really do something good like add pen input, now I will see a reason for it to be heavier.

7. mikeyhd macrumors member

maybe I'm to old to remember correctly, does the pro come with bigger screen?

if it's the same screen then I'll probably wait

8. Tony78228 macrumors regular

Tony78228

I could care less about touch ID. using passcode is fine with me

9. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

i dont use passcode so dont care about touchid

10. bkribbs macrumors 65816

There is no pro yet but speculation is the pro will have a 12.1' screen I believe.

11. mlody macrumors 6502a

I am a bit upset since I have 5S and I use TouchID every single day, but it isn't a deal breaker for me.
    I will wait till I can see/touch the new ipad air in a store to figure out if I want that or refurb ipad 4 - after taxes etc, there is about $140 difference between ipad air and ipad 4 - not sure if I can justify the additional cost for something I do not care much.

12. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

It's a really cool feature that I'd use but it's not a deal breaker, I'm sure iPads will get it next year just like they got Siri a year after the iPhone did

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I never used a passcode on any of my iDevices until I got the 5S, because I found it annoying to type in a passcode every time I use a device. With TouchID, i put a passcode on my iPhone for the first time, and it does make me feel more secure. If the iPad had TouchID, I could put some files with sensitive data on SkyDrive, for instance, and have it always avaiable. But no TouchID, those files stay off SkyDrive, *sigh*

It's not a big enough deal to me that it will put me off getting the iPad Air, but it is a bit disappointing.

14. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I think it may be a deal breaker for those with a 5S as they are used to the motion of unlocking their device. For me, since I don't unlock my iPad as often as my iPhone (I don't usually quickly check it—I sit down to complete a task), it doesn't bother me. Plus my iPad has a longer auto-lock timer than my iPhone, so if I come back to it say 15 minutes later it will still be unlocked. I still feel secure using that considering my daily routine.

When I get an iPhone 6 next year, it may become annoying.

15. hologram, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

hologram macrumors 6502

It's a dealbreaker for me.

At first it didn't seem like such a big thing, but I'll be accessing the iPad many times during the day for a few minutes at a time, just like a 5s user would access a phone. The more I thought about it, the more I'd resent having to keep entering a passcode, and since this purchase will have to last for years, I'd rather wait.

16. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

it wasn't a year. Siri was released in the in the fall via update for ipad3

17. Rigby macrumors 601

Combined with the fact that my current iPad(s) still work fine: Yup, it keeps me from getting the Air. I have gotten used to it on the 5S very quickly and don't want to go back to entering the code a dozen times a day (and I have to use at least 6 digits due to corporate Exchange policy). I'm pretty sure there will be a model with Touch ID in 6 months or so.

18. FoundAHalo macrumors member

FoundAHalo

Same here. Not that I think TouchID would have added any weight to it or thickness, but it's not a dealbreaker for me. I'm just happy the weight and width is down. I'll survive with typing in a passcode, same as I do on my Mac.

19. bobright macrumors 601

And when it's Jailbroken forget what tweak but it'll allow me to not even have to enter my passcode when on my home network. I'm good with it beside I have a iPhone 5 would probably be be confused more often than not.

20. FoundAHalo macrumors member

FoundAHalo

Agreed there! It was bad enough when I had Siri on my iPhone but not my iPad. Too many times holding the home button for nothing...

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

And I feel pretty sure that there won't be another model of the iPad until next October/November. Would you still wait if you knew for certain you'll be waiting a year?

22. Rigby macrumors 601

We'll see. Currently I don't have a pressing need. I guess it will depend on whether any apps show up that can significantly benefit from the A7, which is really the only significant difference besides the form factor.

23. dantracht macrumors regular

dantracht

Deal breaker for me. Have a feeling they'll upgrade the air again in 6 months like the 3 to the 4, or release a pro model sometime next year.

24. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

Definitely not a deal breaker for me.

Although I have touch ID on my iPhone and I found myself constantly attempting to unlock my iPad with my finger, I was hoping that the new iPad would've had touchID.

I've never pass locked my iPad anyway as I've only used it within the proximity of my home, mainly for watching tv shows, the odd game here and there, and reviewing presentations.

I sold my iPad 4 to purchase the new iPad, so it looks like I'll be upgrading.

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Gotcha. For me, the lighter weight of the Air is a significant enough feature to induce me to upgrade, but I can understand if that is not enough inducement for other people.