Passing on iPad 2...waiting for iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iMaven, Jan 24, 2011.

1. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

I'm a bit disappointed with the rumors I'm hearing about the iPad 2. There's no Retina display, the camera is only 1MP, and I haven't heard if the RAM is getting an upgrade. This is why I'm going to wait for the iPad 3. I just read today that it will get the upgraded display and that is already a good start. I'm also thinking there's a better chance of the iPad 3 having 4G.

I know...I know...why not wait for the iPad 5, right?

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/24/ipad-high-resolution-display-rumored-for-3rd-generation/

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

More like, why don't you want to see what is actually released, rather than already dismissing a product we know nothing concrete about.

3. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Have we not had enough of these threads yet? :confused: Just wait until we actually have some facts.

4. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

Once the ipad3 comes you will wait for the ipad4. And so on and so on. Just buy the ipad2 and enjoy the awesomeness

5. iMaven thread starter macrumors 6502

iMaven

I'm already enjoying my current iPad, so I can hold off until iPad 3.

6. RedWings macrumors regular

How can you judge a product when no solid specs have come out. Your decision is going to be simply on rumors?

Waste of a thread.

7. iMaven thread starter macrumors 6502

iMaven

So, you think iPad 2 will get Retina display?

8. bluemonkeyguy macrumors 6502

You're right and that's exactly what I would do if I had the first-gen iPad. But the OP should know that there are some people that held off for the iPad 2 and haven't purchased the first one (like me:D). I will eventually sell the second for the third.:rolleyes:

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Whilst this does seem a bit silly, there is a point here.

Some years/model revisions will see a major jump in spec, like the iPhone4 screen, other years iPhone 3G, 3GS will just be a light tweak and not much point.

It does not mean always waiting for the next model, but to wait for the worthy upgrade.
    I also have seen speak than the x2 display will be held back for iPad3 which for many would be THE time to upgrade as I think many are expecting iPad2 to just be a little tidy up a few rough edges and facetime added.

10. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling most of the people who start these threads - this one included - are just old users who create a new account looking for a few cheap laughs :D

11. iMaven thread starter macrumors 6502

iMaven

Buying and iPad has nothing to do with making life decisions. I don't need an iPad 2. I can wait for the Retina display on the iPad 3. I'm not in a hurry to purchase a new iPad when the one I'm using is doing everything I need. So, again, I can wait for the iPad 3.

I understand why people with no iPad will purchase an iPad 2.

12. gatearray macrumors 65816

Time will tell, but probably not.

Where did this whole iPad "poor screen res meme" come from, anyway? The iPad display is the same or better PPI than any other Apple display larger than 3.5"...

For someone who thinks the iPad display is lacking, then logically every other display they come across in their life from their TV to their computer must bum them out, too, except for the iP4. Boo-hoo. :)

Personally, I think the iPad and the new higher res MacBook Air displays are awesome, but I'll still upgrade to the new iPad. I think the new iPad will be an optically laminated display like the iPhone 4 and it'll have an even faster CPU with more RAM, etc. and will be a lighting fast experience, multitasking like a dream, along with a few other nice surprises. Good enough for me. YMMV.

13. iMaven thread starter macrumors 6502

iMaven

I think the current iPad isn't lacking, but the Retina display will look better. I don't want to upgrade to the iPad 2 then upgrade to the iPad 3 the following year. Just my preference.

14. Brradley macrumors member

As long as you're happy and you've decided to do that, then why do you feel the need that it must be discussed? Do you post on the bread forum that you'll hold out for the second batch of bread as will go better with jam? :confused:

15. aluren macrumors 65816

While upgrading shouldn't cost much (if you can sell the iPad for 80% of the purchase price), I think I'm gonna hold off as well. The addition of the cameras, more ram, a bigger speaker, A5 chip are not enticing enough to warrant an upgrade. The iPad is fast enough as it is right now and can handle most of the applications. The display is obviously the most important piece of hardware and if there are improvements to it, I will upgrade.

But like others have mentioned, we'll just have to wait and see.

16. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

And you came here to tell us this because....we actually care?

17. 0815 macrumors 68000

I'm tired of hearing people like "I will pass on generation 1" or "I will pass on generation x" because x+1 will be so much better. Maybe you shouldn't get one at all because there will always be a better one on its way.

I will get a new iPad every year, I don't want to wait a year or two - I will enjoy the newest features the moment they become available - not once they are a year or two old.

18. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

I'm tired of hearing people who complain about people who say "I will pass on generation 1" or "I will pass on generation x" because x+1 will be so much better. Maybe you shouldn't open a thread titled passing on "ipad 2 ..."

19. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Well no as my monitor and many other peoples has almost twice as many pixels across our screens than the current iPad does, so we are not complaining.

And if you have a 27" screen such as in a dell monitor or an Apple iMac then you are already enjoying a screen res way more than double the iPads current screen.

So why should we complain.

The very 1st iMac in 1998 "Thirteen Years Ago" had this screen res.
    Look at this video - 2 mins 30 seconds in.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BHPtoTctDY

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

No one knows, but why not wait to see what the 2 has before making some big declaration.

21. joehahn macrumors regular

yo man, I'm let you finish complain and what not, but the iPad 3 will be a huge disappointment you should really wait for the iPad 10, I hear it's going to be really REALLY worth the wait. I'm waiting myself and haven't felt the need to upgrade from my 1st gen Newton.

22. gatearray macrumors 65816

I don't think anyone has complained that there aren't enough pixels overall, but the complaints have centered around the pixels per inch, or PPI.

The 2560x1440 in 27 inches on an iMac is not as sharp as the iPad's 1024x768 in 9.7 inches display. The iMac has 109 pixels per inch, where as the iPad is 132. The iPhone 4 is 326... That's what people claim to want, an increase in the pixel density, thus resulting in a sharper image. Your 27" display is blurry compared to an iPad, technically speaking! :)

23. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I have the iPad right now and am quite happy with it

I will not be getting the iPad 2 unless the cap is significantly raised or put back on unlimited.

I know Apple has nothing to do with it but either way, the laughable 2gb cap is in fact a dealbreaker for me. I use it for 3g use and NO VIDEO WHATSOEVER and still come near the 2gb cap monthly. How that makes me an "abuser" or anywhere near "abusing" it is beyond me.

I suspect as more people use the iPad and as video and other content continues filtering on to the internet, more and more will be coming across this issue as well....hence data use skyrocketing in general

24. mcarthon macrumors regular

If this thread is so much a waste of time than why are you wasting yours reading the thread and posting a message Dont even read the post if your so offended by it.

Face it the iPad 2 is not going to live up to expectations. People expect too much if you already have an iPad buying the 2nd isn't worth it in my opinion. But that's me others opinions will obviously vary, but the average Joe who doesn't have money to spend like that would maximize their funds by waiting for iPad 3(only if you own the original iPad)

25. Avalontor macrumors regular

the macfacts forum is that way ------->>