Password locking a folder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sactown, Mar 24, 2009.

1. sactown macrumors member

Is there a way in OSX to place a password on a particular folder? And if not, does anyone know of any good software that can achieve this? Thanks.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can create a password protected disk image.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree this is a great way to keep your secure data.

4. sactown thread starter macrumors member

I saw that, but I really just want to protect a single folder with a few files in it. I don't have enough space to create an encrypted image.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sure you do.

1. Go to Disk Utilities.

2. Click on New Image.

3. Select size from 2.5MB to whatever.

4. Use ACS-128 bit encryption.

5. Use a good password -- don't forget it.

And viola, you now have an nice safe place to save your sensitive files. :)

6. sactown thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. Ill give that a try.

7. scott:mac macrumors regular

A nice easy way is to put a password on your mac

1.Option + Click on the file you want to secure

2.Get info

3.Click the miniature lock bottom right

4.On the bottom there are three drop down boxes, Click all three after each other and select Write Only (Drop Box).

5. Whenever anyone click the file it will say "You do not have sufficient access privileges"

To Unlock.

6. Repeat steps 1-3, But click Read and Write to unlock.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

But that doesn't work for a single user account system when the user knows how to repair permissions.

9. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Remember that'll be simple for an admin user to bypass, and the data inside is not encrypted.

10. scott:mac macrumors regular

Yeah, But its a nice easy way especially if your hiding things from younger persons or people without mac knowledge.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think that I would stick with Disk Utilities and create an encrypted image.

They are easy to use and secure. Just make sure that you don't have your keychain remember the password to open the encrypted image.

12. RoninXI macrumors regular

This is what I do for my client info it is easy to do and if anything happened my clients information is safe. As for my own crap meh :p

13. absit invidia macrumors newbie

This is a video tutorial that I was given on another forum for exactly this.

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Folder password protection right here

http://www.taoeffect.com/espionage/

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Cool.

And if real sensitive information, you could always put a collection of DMGs within another encrypted DMG. :)

16. RoninXI macrumors regular

Actually if it is that sensitive put it in a dmg with more files in it and make it an invisible dmg. Not only is it hard to get to but if you don't know it is there you won't find it. That is a lot overkill but I have made hidden folders and put files in it before. Dealing with mounting and mounting again with dmgs gets tedious especially as they get larger.

17. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

I recently created an encrypted disk image and forgot to uncheck the box to have the keychain remember the passsword. I know how to get to the password in the keychain (Macintosh HD-->Library-->Utilities-->Keychain Access.app). If I delete the password, I wouldn't be locked out of my disk image...would I?

James

18. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, you'd have to enter it every time. You'd only be deleting it from Keychain, which is what you want to do.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

RJS beat me to it. :)

To emphasize:

IMHO, the reason that you use a DMG is to secure information. So you do not want to have your Mac remember your password which means to see the contents of the image, all someone would have to do is double click on it.

Requiring the password to be entered each time will ensure that your data is safely stored. The longer the password, the more secure the image. Make it something that you can remember. AFAIK, there is no back door. If you forget your password, you cannot get into your image.

20. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, if you forget the password, you may as well trash the image.

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Been there before. :(

Definitely do not want to forget your password.

22. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes. In a way. You can disable access to the folder from all accounts other than yours. Then only some one who has logged in using your username and password can see the folder content. Other people would need to know your login password. There are several ways to disable access but easiest is to set the options on the bottom of the "get info" pannel. Do a right click->Get Info on the folder to see the panel

No need to use Disk Utility or encrypted disk images. Normal file permissions work for this

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I don't believe this will do what the OP needs, if I understand his needs correctly.

He wants to protect a folder from someone seeing the content. If they log into his account, then they can see the content if you just change permissions on the folder.

However, if you have an encrypted DMG image, that is all they will see unless they know the password and how to mount it. What's nice about DMGs is that they unmount when you power off or restart your computer. This inherently makes them more safe. Of course you can also eject the mounted DMG as well.

Maybe if you explain your methodology a bit more it might be easier to understand how your system will work to protect someone from seeing the contents of the folder the same way a DMG image will do.

24. otis123 macrumors 6502a

need some "subject matter" to hide eh? try lame secure it does exactly
    what you want, without another partition.