Password Problem COMPUTER ERASED!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NickD, May 3, 2007.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

All of a sudden (like within the span of 10 seconds), my iMac has stopped recognizing my password. Any time I try to enter it (to empty the trash, go into System Prefs, etc.), it tells me that it is invalid. I just used it a few minutes ago, and when I tried to enter it into System Prefs literally 10 seconds later, it locked me out. What's the problem with this? Any suggestions of how I can fix this?

NickD

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Use your restore/intall disk to reset password.

make sure you dont have the caps lock or number lock on.

3. todd2000 macrumors 68000

*Looks at keyboard* What's Number Lock? :) LOL

4. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

F6 on laptops.

Or is this a joke I'm missing? :eek:

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

OP said he had an iMac therefore no num lock key.

6. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I don't get it either.
    All of my keyboards whether laptop or desktop have a number lock key.
    On my PB I tend to activate it by accident and then spend five minutes figuring out why my computer does not type properly...it not funny right before a presentation...!:rolleyes:

7. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

8. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Ok it was worth a look/try

how about keyboard language prefs?
    I occasionally somehow set mine to French Canadian instead of USA
    its up on the apple bar right by the clock - make sure the flag is the one you originally set it too.

If that is not the case try resetting with install discs.

9. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

OK. How would I reset with install disks? Would I boot in Target Disk mode?

10. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Insert disk > restart > wait for install window > On the apple bar under utilities choose RESET PASSWORD > type in new/old password > done.

11. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

OK, well some bad news.

I did as you said. I then restarted using my regular Startup Disk only to find that ALL THE FILES ON MY IMAC WERE ERASED!! It has reverted back to factory settings. What do I do?

This is not the best thing.

NickD

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What do you do? We dunno, what you have described is magical... It doesn't erase files and restore to factory defaults all by itself. Either there is something you haven't told us, or there is magic happening.

Do you mean to say there are no files on your hard drive at all?
    If there are files, what do you see when you look in the Users folder? How many folders and what are their names?

The most likely scenario here is that you have renamed your User folder and locked yourself out of your User folder and files. *You are not supposed to change the name of, delete or move any folder that OSX creates on its own* -- and especially not the one named after your user short name.

If this is the case, then all your data should still be there.

There is also the possibility that your machine's hard drive is failing and has corrupted the user folder, but that's not the prime suspect yet.

13. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

OK, looking at the Hard Drive, all of the files seem to be there, except for all of my documents. All applications are there, but they will not open because they cannot find the "profile location". Also, when trying to access many files or folders, I get told that I do not have sufficient access privileges.

All preferences seem to be gone.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You are logged in with a user other than the one that created those files. That is why there are insufficient priviledges and your personal preferences are gone.

Once again: what are the folders that are in your User folder?

15. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

In order:

Deleted Users (nothing in folder)
    nickdanforth
    Shared

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you open nickdanforth, are the various folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Library etc. openable, or are they blocked because of permissions?

Do you have another folder named nickdanforth anywhere else on the machine including the Trash or the Desktop?

Edit: sorry, I have to go, late for a concert.
    - Priority tag team handoff!

17. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

There is nothing else on the computer named "nickdanforth". I can't get into any of the folders. They all have a size of "--kb", and I can't get in due to lack of "sufficient access privileges.

EDIT: OK, so I think I must have renamed my User profile and locked myself out. How would I go about trying to fix this, assuming that it is the problem?

18. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

I'm terribly sorry for the thread bump. I usually hate them myself, but I need to find a way to fix this ASAP, because I need to use my iMac and the files on it tomorrow afternoon for some business stuff that I absolutely NEED to get done.

NickD

P.S. - Please PM or IM me if you think it will help me solve the problem faster. Thanks so much!!

19. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

Thanks for the link. It looks pretty similar to my problem, but the only problem is this: I can't find the old directory. All that there is is a single "nickdanforth" (which was the name of my old directory, and apparently is my new directory now). Where would the old directory be?

Thanks,
    NickD

20. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

If you have admin rights to it under your new profile can't you chmod the entire hard drive tree to give yourself full rights again and then browse to what you want?

21. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

22. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

Very sorry for another bump, but this is very urgent for me. Does anyone have any more tips or links that could help me in fixing this problem?

NickD

23. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

I tried to download, but I was not allowed to download the file with ANY browser on the iMac. I also tried downloading on my PB, and then tried transferring the file via the network, but was stopped because I did not have "sufficient privileges". It seems like there should be a simple solution, because . . .

All the files seem to be on the iMac

but

I cannot access them, and all preferences/bookmarks/caches/etc. seem to be gone

NickD