'Pastebot 2.0' Clipboard Manager From Tapbots Launches on Mac App Store

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tapbots, the developers behind the popular Twitter client Tweetbot, today launched Pastebot 2.0 for Mac, which is designed to make copy and paste better.

Pastebot is a clipboard manager that saves everything you copy so you can access it later. Pasteboards, which are built into Pastebot, let you store links and snippets of text that you frequently copy and paste so you can access the info in just a few seconds.

Multiple Pasteboards can be used to keep your text clippings organized, and the clipboard itself can be opened up with a Command + Shift + V keyboard shortcut or through a Menu bar app. Filters can be applied to copied text snippets for formatting purposes to save even more time. Options include Create List, Wrap in Paragraph Tags, Convert to Plain Text, Change Case, Emoji Remover, and more.

Pastebot has been in beta testing since August, but is now available for download from the Mac App Store starting today. It's priced at $19.99. [Direct Link]

During beta testing, Pastebot content was not able to sync between Macs because CloudKit is required, and CloudKit was not available to apps outside of the Mac App Store prior to the release of Xcode 8. With the version that's launching today, syncing is available so Pastebot can be used across multiple Macs.

Article Link: 'Pastebot 2.0' Clipboard Manager From Tapbots Launches on Mac App Store

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
$19.99? Ouch!

I've been beta testing Pastebot and I like it overall, but it's a bit slow and has few unaddressed bugs and usability issues. Even in the absence of these issues, $19.99 is really pushing it. I was hoping for $9.99.

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
LOL, this must be a joke. 20 bucks for version 2.0 ? WTF they haven't updated version 1.0 for ages. (as well as many other of their apps)

oh and they forgot an iOS version.

Reactions: augustrushrox

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
I own many pieces of paid software from these guys. That said...

$20?! iOS 10 and Sierra do such a large part of the function of this software. It's not that it isn't useful - it's not $20 useful.
Yes, I actually purchased EVERY SINGLE apps from Tapbots. This will be the first app I will be skipping, at least until it is price reduced to more sane level.

Reactions: 4ubrey

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
I have been looking forward to this app, but $19.99 is simply too much. I know that the price may be justified to cover the development and support in the relatively low-volume Mac market, but as a consumer, I simply can't justify spending $19.99 for such a simple utility if there are much more affordable alternatives. I use Copied now, which was $3.99 when I got it, it does pretty much the same thing and I will be sticking with it I guess.

mkeeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
$20 seems rather expensive but depends how much you'd use it. I'll stick to shoving things in to onenote, syncs too.

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
Come on guys, this pricing is crazy. I too bought all Tapbots sofware but for the moment I use Tweetbot only.

Calcbot iOS has not been updated for more than a year and their other iOS apps have been abandoned. Mark jardine one of devs seems more interest in buying expensive sport cars, probably the reason for this ridiculous pricing.

But they don't care as enough people will buy Pastebot...which lacks a iOS sibling...

Reactions: Mascots

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Most of the copy/pasting I do is in my browser.
So either I could buy this for $20 or just keep using Clipboard History 2 for free.
Hmm, decisions... :rolleyes:
Clipboard History is not at all in the same category.

We can bash Pastebot's ridiculous $20 price tag for all we want but the fact of the matter is, it is a very powerful app that can be used outside the browser.

You can create groups/folders, apply various filters to transform the clipping, strip text formatting, and synced to iCloud. And all with many useful keyboard shortcuts.

Woodstockie

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2015
NY
That is a very steep price. Something like $10 would be fine for me. I have been using Cloud Clip for years and it still works for me on Yosemite.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
From what I can tell, the issue here is not the cost of the product, it's just not something that Tapbots' general audience will really need. For my personal use, Pastebot would not be worth $20, whereas Tweetbot for Mac was absolutely worth that.

However, I use TextExpander at work for keyboard snippets, and from what I can tell here, Pastebot offers almost the same level of functionality for less than 1/2 the price. While the market is limited, for those who need it, it appears to be very competitively priced.

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

bchertov

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
$20 doesn't seem too much to me, but I'm using an older version of textexpander and ClipMenu (Free clipboard manager - no longer supported, but it works just fine.)

Any reason I should switch to Pastebot??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.