Pathetic Data Speeds during call

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mysterioustko, Dec 18, 2011.

1. mysterioustko, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

mysterioustko macrumors 6502

My uncle and I are trying to get some information to help with his and his wife's iPhone 4's. Could you guys post speed test results that you get DURING A PHONE CALL. Please do not post speed test results that are not during a phone call as this data will not very helpful. What we are trying to find out is how other people's data speeds are being impacted DURING a call. Thanks for your help guys. :)

Note: When you post your speeds, please state your firmware version and baseband. Also if it is an iPhone 4 or 4s.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It will help to you know which carrier your uncle's/wife's iPhones are on, as the network has as much to do with the situation as the phone.

On UMTS/HSPA, you are going to get somewhat reduced speeds during a call compared to when not on a call, as some of the bandwidth is being used for the voice call.

On CDMA or EDGE, you'll get no data at all over the cell network during a voice call. The network isn't capable of it.

In all cases, connecting to wifi makes the situation moot, since a voice call over the cell network shouldn't affect wifi speeds (unless you're on a microcell).

3. mysterioustko thread starter macrumors 6502

Carrier isn't really something we're concerned with as what we are observing occurs over wifi also. We just need to see speed test during calls. For the record, AT&T is the carrier though. But yeah, I don't care if the speed test is over wifi or the data network, we just need to see the results.

4. BearerOBadNews macrumors member

When I'm not on a call I get great speeds, but when I'm on a call my data slows down to the point it's almost unusable. EVERY IPHONE since the 4 seems to have this problem. WTF is the point in being able to talk and surf if the data slows down so badly that you can barely use it. And it happens to me on wifi too.

Attached Files:

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry to say, not experiencing this problem with mine over wifi. iPhone 4S, AT&T, 5.0.1 (build 9A405), baseband 1.0.13.

6. mysterioustko thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Are you experiencing it on hspa?

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm traveling right now for the holidays and not an in HSPA area, sorry. But I wouldn't be surprised if I did experience it then, because that's how HSPA works.

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I'm dying to know what critical data intensive task is being speed hindered during a phone call that can't wait until the phone call is over.

9. matttye macrumors 601

Who cares - apple tout being able to surf and talk at the same time as a feature so it should work.

Getting directions etc is one such example.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well yes, but that's not the point.

11. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

where did he say it doesn't work? he said there was a speed hit. sounds like it works, if a bit slower, to me.