Paul Thurrott Reviews Tiger

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Window's fanboy, Paul Thorrott, has reviewed OS 10.4 "Tiger".

Surprisingly, he gives it 4 out of 5 "Windows"/stars, and doesn't have too many negative things to say about it.

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
Turdott??

Lacero said:
ps. Thurrott is an idiot.
Yeah, anybody who writes Windows is easier for beginners because when they turn it on the first time there is a "start" button whereas OS X hath no "start" button and is, henceforth, more difficult for computer neophytes to grasp...

... is an out-and-out moron who could really benefit from being defecated on.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
Honestly, I don't see what's so bad about his review. Do I agree with every word of it? No.

Are his criticisms fair though? I think so. Tiger is a minor upgrade. It's a tweaking of Panther, adding quite a few new features. But to quite a few people (himself included) OS 9 to OS X was a major upgrade, whereas the OS X point increases are minor ones. That's fair enough as far as I see it - it's an opinion. It's not as if he's saying it sucks or anything - he clearly states that it's the best version of X to date.

What's so wrong with that?

(I also must note that his criticisms about Quicktime 7 are especially pertinent - Apple list the new full screen mode in Quicktime as a "feature" of Tiger - despite the fact you have to purchase Quicktime 7 Pro to get it. That is especially poor, and also false advertising.)

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
edesignuk said:
So many things to pick on in that article I don't even know where to start.
I thought it was a reasonably well-balanced piece, considering it's on 'Windows Supersite'.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
edesignuk said:
I'd tell him to do us all a favor and jump off a bridge...

But that would just polute the water he lands in. :(

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
I'm kind of chuckling when he mentions Konfabulator and Widgets. We're talking about MS criticizing Apple for copying, LOL. Talk about a grand ol' conversation between the kettle and the pot.

dpclark

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2004
Sunny Yorkshire - UK
edesignuk said:
heres one

"Apple Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" is the strongest OS X release yet and a worthy competitor to Windows XP"

what kind of mind altering substances is this guy doing? - a competitor? OS X has owned XP since its release.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Hey if you guys (and gals) want to get really pissed off read...

XP vs OS X, where he says OS X is copying Windows :rolleyes:

My favorite part:
In Windows XP, everything begins, appropriately enough, with the Start button, which launches a new Start Menu. This menu contains just about everything you need to get to work, your most commonly accessed applications, your most recently used documents, and a list of commonly accessed system locations. In Mac OS X, there is no equivalent to this. You are forced to hunt and peck for things. Let's say you want to change the resolution of the screen. How might you accomplish this in OS X? Holding down the mouse button on the desktop does no good. Choosing View from the Finder menu offers no clue. Choosing Finder Preferences lets you change icon sizes, but not the screen resolution. And so on. How about System Preferences? In System Preferences, the Mac equivalent of the Windows Control Panel, we see a set of icons much like that used in versions of Windows circa two years ago. Let's se... hmm.... Is it Displays, General, or Screen Saver?
Does he not realize the Apple logo at the top IS our "Start" button? (we just aren't stupid enough to have to spell, it out, literally)

And, frankly, our 'start' button is easier to use, includes everything he mentions, looks better because it doesn't cascade/animate or have icons all over it. Plus, it lists all your "shut down-options" without bringing up another dialog box. Moron.

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
dpclark said:
heres one

"Apple Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" is the strongest OS X release yet and a worthy competitor to Windows XP"

what kind of mind altering substances is this guy doing? - a competitor? OS X has owned XP since its release.
Given that his audience is Windows users, this may well be news to them. It's called "writing for your audience".

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
thequicksilver said:
Are his criticisms fair though? I think so. Tiger is a minor upgrade. It's a tweaking of Panther, adding quite a few new features. But to quite a few people (himself included) OS 9 to OS X was a major upgrade, whereas the OS X point increases are minor ones. That's fair enough as far as I see it - it's an opinion.
When what you change in the version number is to the right of a decimal point (e.g., 10.3 > 10.4), most people will view that as a minor upgrade (most present company excluded, apparently). If 10.4 was actually called OS XI, THEN it would be difficult to argue that it's not a major upgrade. But when the UI doesn't really change too much and you're adding just a few significant features and a LOT of bug fixes/tweaks, it's pretty much a minor upgrade.

Windows XP is still Windows XP 4 years later, but SP-2 is quite a bit better than base-level Windows XP. The same applies to OS X 10.4 compared to OS X 10.0 or 10.1. If you don't change the version number or the name too much, it's pretty much the same product.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
he says about dashboard: "Um, right. Since PCs and Macs have had tiny utility applications since the early 1980's, it's unclear why Dashboard widgets can't simply work on the normal Mac desktop (which is how Konfabulator works, incidentally). Having to move into and out of the Dashboard to perform these tasks seems a bit unnecessary. Why segregate them like that?"

but one of our members here (can't find the thread at the moment) showed us how to do this...just press f12 or some key and you can use one widget on the desktop. this guy needs to do his homework before criticizing "absent" features, which are there if you play around with it enough

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
thequicksilver said:
Tiger is a minor upgrade.
Absolutely wrong.
From a developers' perspective, its a HUGE HUGE upgrade.
This one really pales in comparisson to even Panther in terms of
new API and features. CoreImage, Spotlight, And definitaly CoreData,
Coredata being the biggest thing I am thankful for. Not to mention acceleration of the Quartz 2D, not just the compositor, theres a lot there
to make applications really be not only fast to develop but shine.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
i also read a review by a mac guy that commented about how win XP was a marginally better than win 98, which elicited boos and hisses from the win people. XP was certainly a bigger update over 98 than tiger is to panther, but windows needed it, and it fixed a lot of things that were wrong in 98. but that's the problem with windows - updates are to fix problems with previous systems. for the mac, updates are to add new features and services. both updates are making things "better," but for far different reasons. big world of difference, IMO, and one reason i'm a mac guy.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Daveway said:
I didn't know iChat AV required a G5 or dual proc. to use video conferencing. Humm... I learned something from that article.
I didn't catch that in the article, but that's wrong. It requires Dual 1 GHz G4 or better to start a chat with four people, and then other requirements for different situations. Read about it here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/ichat/
-Chase

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
kugino said:
he says about dashboard: "Um, right. Since PCs and Macs have had tiny utility applications since the early 1980's, it's unclear why Dashboard widgets can't simply work on the normal Mac desktop (which is how Konfabulator works, incidentally). Having to move into and out of the Dashboard to perform these tasks seems a bit unnecessary. Why segregate them like that?"
I haven't used Konfabulator, but surely putting widgets on the desktop would still require a keypress, be it F11 to show the desktop, or manually minimising/hiding everything. So why not have a Dashboard key? (F12)

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
I didn't know that Tiger will not come with AppleWorks (and yet it still comes with Sherlock...).

Is this officially the end of AppleWorks?
Will you still be able to buy it in the stores?

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
mac-er said:
I didn't know that Tiger will not come with AppleWorks (and yet it still comes with Sherlock...).

Is this officially the end of AppleWorks?
Will you still be able to buy it in the stores?
AppleWorks only comes with consumer macs, not pro macs or with the OS. Yes, you can still purchase AppleWorks online and in stores.
-Chase