Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dankes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Hi.
Am thinking of getting a Pay as you go 3g Iphone in the UK which is locked to the O2 network. I have just signed up with O2 on a sim-only deal and was wondering:

1) Will I need to get the iphone unlocked to use the O2 Simplicity sim?

2) Will I still get all the features on it, if I use the O2 sim card?

3) If I do miss out on features how can I get them?

4) Is there a way of getting and sending picture messages without having to log onto a website?

5) Is there a way of improving the camera and being able to record videos ?

Thanks in advance for any help.
D x

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hi.
Am thinking of getting a Pay as you go 3g Iphone in the UK which is locked to the O2 network. I have just signed up with O2 on a sim-only deal and was wondering:

1) Will I need to get the iphone unlocked to use the O2 Simplicity sim?

2) Will I still get all the features on it, if I use the O2 sim card?

3) If I do miss out on features how can I get them?

4) Is there a way of getting and sending picture messages without having to log onto a website?

5) Is there a way of improving the camera and being able to record videos ?

Thanks in advance for any help.
D x

1. iPhone 3G jut needs to be activated, not unlocked.
2. Yes.
3. See 2.
4. Yes, e-mail.
5. Camera is very good quality even though its 2.0 MP. To record video you have to jailbreak and use Cydia to install Cycoder into the phone. Cycoder is video recording software.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
I'm on O2's PAYG tariff using an unlocked 1st gen. iPhone. Visual voicemail is the only that doesn't work. Everything else works great.

Couple of pointers:

1) Don't bother getting the "official" iPhone SIM. Unlock your phone and get a regular old PAYG sim.

2) Don't buy the £10 "iPhone" data bolt-on unless you want/need WiFi from The Cloud. The regular £7.50 mobile data bolt-on is exactly the same (sans WiFi access), and works just great.

dickovski

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2007
Norwich, UK
I'm on O2's PAYG tariff using an unlocked 1st gen. iPhone. Visual voicemail is the only that doesn't work. Everything else works great.

Couple of pointers:

1) Don't bother getting the "official" iPhone SIM. Unlock your phone and get a regular old PAYG sim.

2) Don't buy the £10 "iPhone" data bolt-on unless you want/need WiFi from The Cloud. The regular £7.50 mobile data bolt-on is exactly the same (sans WiFi access), and works just great.

Second both of these, £2.50 wasted in my opinion. By the time you've logged on to the cloud in McDonalds it's time to leave anyway:D!

dankes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Thanks for your answers. I got it in the end and got unlimited data as my free bolt-on. I have no visual voicemail but everything else seems to work. Thanks again.
D x

Pearly King

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2009
Need to Confirm

Thanks for your answers. I got it in the end and got unlimited data as my free bolt-on. I have no visual voicemail but everything else seems to work. Thanks again.
D x

I've had a UK O2 simplicity sim since it came out. Works great and fantastic value for money. I've been wanting a 3G iPhone since they came out but don't like the £35+ per month contract. Can I just confirm, a 3G pay as you go iPhone works with an O2 simplicity sim and the only thing that doesn't work is the visual voicemail...

Is that right?

Agent-W

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
Manchester, UK
Second both of these, £2.50 wasted in my opinion. By the time you've logged on to the cloud in McDonalds it's time to leave anyway:D!

It really depends how much you use the internet on your iPhone - the £7.50 bolt on has a fair usage policy of 200meg (although on our systems, the actual fair usage is 500meg).

Whereas the iPhone web bolt on has no fair usage

So it really depends on how much your browsing on your phone. As one meg is £3 on payg, the extra £2.50 is really useful for some people!

I work for O2 on payg so if anyone has any queries, just PM me

Agent-W

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
Manchester, UK
Is there a way of finding out your usage? I don't think I use anywhere near 200MB but how would I know.:cool:

Go into Settings->General->Usage and it tells you how much data you have received (that's what you’re paying for)

I'm not entirely sure how accurate that is though

If you call into customer service (and get through to someone who knows what they are doing), we will be able to tell you your usage

On our systems, usage is shown in kb so some people who aren't clued up won’t be able to tell you (!)

With regards to visual voicemail, it's not available on payg

And another fallacy - you 'need' an iPhone sim

ANY 3G sim can be provisioned to be used in an iPhone, all it means is having no service for an hour or so (and again, getting through to someone who knows how to do it)

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Simplicity works without needing to unlock just activate as per normal but you dont get visual voicemail even if you use an iPhone PAYG sim. Visual voicemail is only available to contract users

dickovski

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2007
Norwich, UK
Go into Settings->General->Usage and it tells you how much data you have received (that's what you’re paying for)

I'm not entirely sure how accurate that is though

Cheers for that. Mine shows 272MB which I guess is from the last system update 2 months or so ago. Anyway I've reset it to see what I do this month.

Thanks Agent-W for the info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.