Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kroxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Just got a message from Apple saying payment authorisation failed (I used Apple Pay) I logged into my account to update payment information with a new credit card, and when trying to update it says authorisation failed again, tried putting in debit card details that is linked to Apple Pay and get same error, absolutely fuming, and Can’t get in touch with Apple at this time (UK)

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
That’s turning out to be normal.

I had the same issue but after checking with my bank, rang Apple and they charged the card. Same issues as last 2 Major Apple purchases (iPad Pro and 7 Plus)

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
next time you could buy something the day before then cancel the item later. Just to be sure it works.

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
Same thing happened to me, I called my bank and they lifted all the holds while they stayed on the phone while I tried to complete the purchase on the Apple page. Wouldn’t take the original Apple Pay , but it worked with my debit card and the lady at the bank confirmed the charge went through.

Try calling your bank and see if any holds exist

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
With all the card fraud these days banks are careful. Always worth adding a spending notice ahead of time for large purchases. Just like adding a travel notice before traveling

Kroxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
With all the card fraud these days banks are careful. Always worth adding a spending notice ahead of time for large purchases. Just like adding a travel notice before traveling
Thing is, I’m trying to update details to use another card like it’s asking and still getting authorisation failed, but I use this credit card all the time, even used it yesterday to buy a MacBook Pro
[doublepost=1509316119][/doublepost]I’ve tried 2 credit cards and a debit card and still comes up with same error, this is not an issue with cards

Reactions: webbuzz

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Thing is, I’m trying to update details to use another card like it’s asking and still getting authorisation failed, but I use this credit card all the time, even used it yesterday to buy a MacBook Pro
[doublepost=1509316119][/doublepost]I’ve tried 2 credit cards and a debit card and still comes up with same error, this is not an issue with cards
Correct.

Place my order at 2:02AM, received confirmation email at 2:04AM. Checked my Chase account two hours later and it showed pending charges.

I decided to check the order at 5:00AM and it showed payment failed. I try several other cards, same thing. Called Chase and they said everything is fine. A support rep ran the same card and it went through.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008

That’s strange unless both banks are doing the same thing

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I actually avoid apple pay when buying stuff online. I found out too many times that it takes multiple tries to get it to work for some reason. I don't know where the problem lies but at this point, I've given up and will use the tried and true method that does work

Reactions: Vampire14

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Unless people have said otherwise, I don’t think these are being stopped as fraudulent. On Friday my phone and case were ordered and the phone failed after a few hours. My banks fraud department said the failure wasn’t anything fraud related.

Charging the card directly allowed he payment to go through. If it was fraud prevention, they’d have stopped this too.

Kroxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
I have just rang Barclaycard as there should be no issue with this card as like I say, I bought a MacBook Pro yesterday for £2400. They say that they have authorised 7 time but no payment has been taken and there is no issue on their side, he spoke to his manager and apparently loads of people are ringing in regarding Apple authorisation failure. So basically, my Apple Pay failed, then I input a credit card and this fails, then I try a third card and same thing happens... What he's telling me is that its a Apple website problem that they are aware of and its not at their end. So this would explain why 3 cards didn't work.

Conyfers

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Having the same issue, secured a pre-order for November 3rd (Store Pick-Up in the UK) - paid using Apple Pay through the App.

Received a notification about an hour ago to say that the payment authorization had failed.

Have tried 4 different cards and all are returning the "authorization" error.

Spoken to Amex and lloyds and it's not an issue at their end - so appears Apple are experiencing some issues at the moment. The two customer representatives also mentioned that I was not the first caller to ring this evening with regards to an Apple iPhone X payment!!!

Unnecessary worry for a Sunday evening!

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
The website didn’t work on Friday either. My Apple Pay failed and I couldn’t get it to auth using the card behind the Apple Pay transaction. Worked fine when on a call with Apple though. This didn’t impact my delivery, and I doubt it will for you (based on my iPad Pro and 7 Plus experience)

Kroxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Having the same issue, secured a pre-order for November 3rd (Store Pick-Up in the UK) - paid using Apple Pay through the App.

Received a notification about an hour ago to say that the payment authorization had failed.

Have tried 4 different cards and all are returning the "authorization" error.

Spoken to Amex and lloyds and it's not an issue at their end - so appears Apple are experiencing some issues at the moment. The two customer representatives also mentioned that I was not the first caller to ring this evening with regards to an Apple iPhone X payment!!!

Unnecessary worry for a Sunday evening!

Well at least that confirms it, I was at work when I got the notification, you should have seen my face, people were asking if I was ok, I think they thought somebody had died.

Reactions: Conyfers

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I must be one of the lucky ones; paid with AmEx via Apple Pay.

That said, have not seen a charge attempt on the card.

Conyfers

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Well at least that confirms it, I was at work when I got the notification, you should have seen my face, people were asking if I was ok, I think they thought somebody had died.

I was close to flipping my dinning room table when my third attempt with a different card failed.

Fortunately Ronald at Amex restored my calm.

Reactions: Speedman100

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
I always use my debit card and not Apple Pay for larger purchases. Banks don't care about fraud on those cards because it's your money. They care about possible fraud on a credit card because it's their money.

Kroxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
I always use my debit card and not Apple Pay for larger purchases. Banks don't care about fraud on those cards because it's your money. They care about possible fraud on a credit card because it's their money.
This is not the issue, I have update to a different card and authorisation still fails

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London

What? No...

There are greater protections with fraud on a credit card than a debit card.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
What? No...

There are greater protections with fraud on a credit card than a debit card.
Correct. That's why I use my debit card to buy my iPhone. The bank won't flag it as fraud and my iPhone order won't get cancelled.
[doublepost=1509319835][/doublepost]
This is not the issue, I have update to a different card and authorisation still fails
I don't add my debit card to Apple pay. I manually enter the card info when I place an order through Apple.

apple_g

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2017
Just got a message from Apple saying payment authorisation failed (I used Apple Pay) I logged into my account to update payment information with a new credit card, and when trying to update it says authorisation failed again, tried putting in debit card details that is linked to Apple Pay and get same error, absolutely fuming, and Can’t get in touch with Apple at this time (UK)

I had the exact same issue with my pre order once securing a release day delivery - it’s an issue with Apple Pay, I tried entering it through update details as well and had no luck. Ring Apple and they’ll be able to put the payment through their end and your delivery date should still stand!

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Normal happened to me. After paying for 2 iPhones x full price from att my Wells Fargo debit card was declining from 3rd order from Apple. My card got blocked for security reasons. I immediately called bank and lifted holds. Apple order then went thru.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Correct. That's why I use my debit card to buy my iPhone. The bank won't flag it as fraud and my iPhone order won't get cancelled.
[doublepost=1509319835][/doublepost]
I don't add my debit card to Apple pay. I manually enter the card info when I place an order through Apple.

So I work on a piece of software that banks use to identify fraud in cards, the thresholds for that on debit cards are much lower than that ok credit cards: I.e. it’s easier to get things marked as fraudulent on debit cards.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
So I work on a piece of software that banks use to identify fraud in cards, the thresholds for that on debit cards are much lower than that ok credit cards: I.e. it’s easier to get things marked as fraudulent on debit cards.
Just the opposite for me. Every time I tried to use my CC online to make a purchase over $1000, it gets flagged for fraud. Never once with my debit card, and I have purchased a $5000 OLED tv with it online, all my iPhones with it online, and no problems. I tried to purchase my iMac earlier this year online from Apple using my CC and it was denied for possible fraud. Used my debit card, and went through without issue. My credit rating is 850, so it's not bad credit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.