Payment

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sebbyRIOT, May 30, 2012.

1. sebbyRIOT macrumors member

Hey guys,

I didn't really know where to place this thread - but since it's regarding the purchase of an iMac, I thought I'd post it here.

Doing little wee wee's at the fact the Apple Store has been down for so long, so I'm just making preparations to pay just in case.
    I know that, with any products purchased online, you cannot split payment between 2 cards.
    I've got the available funds for a top-spec 27" (or whatever the larger screen size is) across 2 payment cards, but not on the same one.

Does anyone know if its possible to purchase 2 gift certificates with these 2 different cards, and then use both of them to purchase a BTO iMac? Or if anyone knows any other way of splitting payment on the Online Store across 2 cards?

Obviously I can't chat with an associate because the Store is down and I fear the lines will be very busy at the moment.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The only thing I can suggest (and it's darned expensive) is that get a cash advance from one car to ensure you have all the funds in one place.

BEWARE! the interest rates are staggering if you do it that way. Alternatively, why not consider Apple finance? The interest rates are good, and just a deposit, then monthly payments.

3. sebbyRIOT thread starter macrumors member

Haha now THAT sounds like a plan.

Nahh I can't do Apple Finance though - I'm only 20 and I've only got these credit cards based on my bank being able to see my specific spending habits and offering based on that - I don't think I'd stand a chance on Apple Financing :/

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It wouldn't hurt to try, the fact that you HAVE credit cards shows you have a credit history, and are trusted by your bank....That's pretty much the criteria Apple use to decide...It won't hurt to try, and it's a damn site cheaper than the cash transfer option.

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

You say you have available funds for the iMac across two credit cards, but not one.

From this statement we must assume that both of your cards are nearly up to their limits. If this is the case, wouldn't it be more sensible to consider if, at this time, you can actually afford to buy the iMac at all - before loading yourself with even more debt.

6. Stolz25 macrumors member

It's possible that the limit is small.

7. Sue De Nimes macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

I would echo this.

Anyone maxing out their credit cards to buy a Mac in the current climate is being reckless in the extreme.

----------

They tend to give out small limits to people with (a) low income or (b) no credit history.

Either way, maxing out multiple credit cards to buy a Mac is reckless.

8. hatem ben arfa macrumors newbie

I think it's rather presumptuous to be judging whether or not the guy should be buying an iMac based upon his card predicament, we have no clue what his financial situation is, and it's none of our business! Personally, I've only lived in the US for a year, and it was a pain in the ass to get a credit card, so I ended up with one that had a $500 limit... and the only way to build credit was to use that card. I ended up having to pay the thing off every week or so.

Anyway, surely you can buy 1 gift card and then when buying the iMac you use the other credit card and enter the code for the gift card. I can't imagine Apple stops you using a gift card if it doesn't cover full value of the purchase...

9. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Purchase a gift card with one CC (either online or at a physical store). Then when you pay for the computer, enter the gift card first, and then the other CC to cover the balance.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true.

Payment & Pricing - Apple Store (U.S.)

11. flatfoot macrumors 65816

@OP: I've read somewhere on these forums lately that it is possible to split the bill between two credit cards at checkout in the Apple online store.

12. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Everytime that I have purchased a large item there was always the option to split the purchase between two cards. It is also helpful if you are using a debit card that has a daily transaction limit lower than your purchase.

13. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

From what I've heard, Apple will go out of their way to grab your cash :)

14. sebbyRIOT, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

sebbyRIOT thread starter macrumors member

You guys can assume whatever the hell you like. Like another user said, you have no idea what my financial situation is. Needless to say, you are wrong.
    The 2 credit cards in question have £2,100 and £2,050 credit limits respectively [which both balances are currently ZERO, not 'nearly maxed out'], and I would not be purchasing an iMac unless a) I needed one (I'm currently a web developer working on a 2008 MacBook) b) Had the funds to pay for it across a couple of months. Since I'm getting a full spec iMac, even with the Education discount, it comes down to £2,250~ which means, obviously, I cannot spend on one card.

At the more constructive answers:

Does this also apply to UK though? I apologise for not mentioning this in my original post. It's weird - I didn't go through any of the Apple documentation because I asked in the 'live' chat and was told that it was not possible... Maybe this is something only available to US?

15. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

The easiest thing may be to try and go through the online checkout and see if you can use more than one card.

You can add it to your cart and then click "Guest Checkout" and see if multiple cards are available without giving too much personal information. In the us all I had to do was enter the shipping address before I got the payment screen (see below).

And yes - people can be real jerks on the internet.

Attached Files:

16. sebbyRIOT thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your help - unfortunately though, Apple UK only sells and accepts gift cards instore. You cannot purchase or use Apple Gift Cards on the Online Store - which I need because it's BTO :(

By the looks of things you can also only pay using one card on the UK store.

----------

Hey man - thanks very much for your help and for the screenshot, at least I know now 100% that it's not possible, since the payment stage doesn't contain any sort of link like yours for paying across two cards.
    Nevermind!

17. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Based on this, I would definitely second MacMan45's suggestions to look into Apple finance.

If you're going to be paying off your credit cards over a couple of months, Apple's financing will probably offer you a much better rate than the 15+% APR that credit cards tend to run on. Worth looking into at least.

18. sebbyRIOT thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion but I'd be worse off! When I said a couple of months I meant literally 2 months/paychecks, whereas the minimum term for Apple financing is 24 months and the interest rate is also 14.9%!

19. Smartie macrumors regular

Smartie

So I guess if you really want it now and can't wait to save up during two months, then I guess you are down to one option, get cash advance on your cards (expensive but not a fortune), give the money to your folks/a friend and ask them to pay for the iMac on their credit/debit card. See, done.

20. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

One problem with Apple Finance, if the OP is a student (as he is getting student discount). Apple Finance requires you to have a full time job, which you may not if you are a student.

And I feel compelled to throw in some advice after seeing a friend of mine nearly enough destroy his life by taking out multiple credit cards whilst a student. As you say, we do not know your entire financial situation, but we do know that you need to use 2 credit cards to be able to afford it. Just take care.

21. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Save up for those two months instead. :) The Retina based machines will no doubt be out soon, and with Mountain Lion just around the corner, getting a machine with it pre-installed is great. Otherwise you'll play for Lion for a week and have to reinstall OS X and reset everything up.

Plus, you have a 2008 MacBook, you're not missing out on much.

22. sebbyRIOT thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for the further advice guys.

I have a solution to my problem now - I made the thread on the day where the Apple Store went down and everyone got all excited - so it would have only applied there and then because I wanted to order immediately.

Now that I know I have at LEAST 3 days (but probably more since this week is unlikely) I can just overpay one of my credit cards so my balance becomes a minus... i.e. -£300 so that I have an additional £300 to spend when I place the order.

Obviously I'll save up my pay checks if the iMac isn't released soon, but my 2008 MacBook is incredibly faulty, I'm pretty sure its logic board needs replacing, so I'd rather pay an extra £50 (which it wouldn't be more than that) of interest for the convenience of not waiting 1 month (since payday was yesterday, just 1 more to go!)

23. Nandifix macrumors 6502

New iMac will almost defiantly not be released next week so you can have more time to save up.

24. Stolz25 macrumors member

This isn't true at all. You could have a low income but have saved up for an iMac, or you could have no credit history but have plenty of money to buy one.

I was making over 50k per year before I got my first credit card or started developing any kind of credit history at all.

Making broad sweeping statements with absolutely no knowledge of the situation is reckless. :D

25. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Wow, good to know for future reference - that's a terrible rate!