Paypal Gift - Charging a fee?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SPNarwhal, Jun 21, 2012.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I always thought that Paypal Gift was fee free?

My friend is trying to send me some money through Paypal and she's saying there's a 20 dollar fee, even though she's sending it as gift.

Her and my account are both verified, so I'm not sure what's going on.

2. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Is she sending from a credit card or checking account?

3. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

We just figured it out.

It's a checking account, but it was through her Debit Card. I looked it up and I guess that if it's through a Debit/Credit card, there's a free. If it's through bank account directly, or your paypal balance, there's not.

It's just a little weird, since a Debit Card is pretty much directly through the Checking Account, but ah well. She had her Debit Card linked as well, so she deleted it and now there is no fee.

Strange.

Thank you for responding to my S.O.S. though. I really appreciate it.

4. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

No problem. Been there before. Best to use a card when sending. It's faster and free. Free to use checking unload the money though.

5. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Well the weird thing is that it was going through her Debit Card and it was saying there would be a 20 dollar fee. (Although the Debit Card is a Debit Card and linked directly to her Bank Account/Checking Account.)

It said that the Primary source was her bank account, but had her card selected. She deleted the card and that got rid of the fee. But now it's coming as an e-Check.

Don't get it.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

When you use a debit card, all PayPal sees is a Visa card and they process it as one, they don't know if it's debit or credit. They pass on their credit card processing costs to you, although $20 seems extremely excessive, unless the amount was in the thousands.

7. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

So then how to link it to your Bank Account directly without having fees? Because when I send payments, it's instant, and it's through my card, with no fees. This e-check is going to take a while to clear.

8. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

They actually don't take all that long to clear - when I got one it was like 3 days.

9. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Still longer than instant. :eek:

I don't mind the wait, but would still like to clear this fog of confusion. Just makes no sense to me that her Debit Card charges a fee but mine doesn't.

10. ace198 macrumors regular

Your friend and you should use Amazon payments.