PBG4 12Inch software recommendations

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jdasikainen, Apr 10, 2016.

1. jdasikainen macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

Ok so i got a new powerbook g4 coming in from eBay was a steal of a price. guy is including the leopard install disc witch is awesome as well as ilife and iWork 09 i still don't know the specs but was wondering if theres any software recommendations going to throw tenfourfox and mactubes on there immediately but was wanting other recommendations

2. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

Well... If you want to watch YouTube videos you can use tenfourfox or PPC media center, which allows you to download video also... Mactubes does not work anymore.

To download files from torrents you can use Trasmission 2.84 or utorrent, but the latter is not updated since 2012.

If you want to play some games just google for freeware PowerPC Mac games such as supertux, pactheman x, solitaires...

If you want to watch HD videos download coreplayer from the thread in this section.

If you want to watch general streaming video download vlc, the latest for PowerPC is from 2014.

If you want to do videochats the only app which will allow you to do that is Yahoo Messenger 3.0.2

If you want to listen to music then you can download the latest version of spotify for PowerPC mac or use Cog, Play or other freeware players to listen to your stored music.

To watch photos, PDFs, e-mail you can just use the default Apple apps.

3. jdasikainen thread starter macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

thanks once the powerbook gets in I'm going to for my youtube channel only use the g4 for a week in collage. going to be an interesting video by the end of it also going to get some emulators.. kinda sad that mactubes no longer works was a great program

4. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Everything you can run will be determined by the machine's specs - you might even find Tiger is a more comfortable fit if it's an earlier Powerbook.
    Maybe you should start with what you'll need to use it for then work from there - to get the best performance, you need to pick your apps carefully.
    For example, don't use the last PPC version of VLC - it will run but it's less efficient on single CPU machines than older versions (1.1.12 for Leopard).
    TFF is a fantastic browser but Safari/Webkit, though not as compatible with some websites, is arguably faster and with ClickToPlugin offers control over Flash and video downloads from Youtube (incidentally, search this forum for the lastest Flash hack if you intend to use Safari).
    Also, if you plan to use Leopard, search here for speed optimisations - one of the best quick fixes is the Secrets Pref Pane:
    http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27025/secrets

5. jdasikainen thread starter macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

ok cool only downside if i decide i need tiger il have to buy it the seller included a leopard install dvd ilife 09 and iWork 09 so for the moment I'm stuck on leopard.

6. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Macintoshgarden has old OS ISOs - and lots of other useful stuff too:
    http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-osx-mac-os-10-ppc

7. jdasikainen thread starter macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

oh cool thanks. il defiantly look into that if your interested in the videos l be making on it then checkk out my youtube channel blindpcguy

8. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Will do :)

9. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

There is no good software for that laptop. You should send it to me ASAP and I will take--

(FAKE MOD NOTE: That's it! We're taping your friggin' mouth shut! Try to say things now...)

10. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Coreplayer. Coreplayer. Coreplayer. It has just been raised from the dead, you will be able to playback 720p, and might, I mean just....might even be able to do 1080p depending on the Powerbooks specs, ie, if its a 1.5 ghz or faster it could happen. Scroll down on the main page and look for the Coreplayer is no more and go to the end of the thread. You will NOT be disappointed.

11. jdasikainen thread starter macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

ok il defiantly check it out. tomorrow can't get here quick enough.

12. bobesch, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016

bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Here's the list of progs running on my PB-G4 12":
    A Better Finder Attributes 4
    A Better Finder Rename 8
    ABBYY FineReader for ScanSnap 4.0
    AbiWord
    Adium
    Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional
    Adobe Reader 9
    AirServer
    AppCleaner*
    Audio Hijack Pro
    Bean
    Big Mean Folder Machine 2
    Camino
    Canon Utilities
    Carbon Copy Cloner*
    ChronoSync*
    CocoViewX
    Combine PDFs*
    CorePlayer**
    CrimsonFields
    Cyberduck
    DEVONthink Pro Office* (Scan to PDF with Yep!, OCR within DEVONthink later)
    DiscEject Advanced
    Dragoman
    Dropbox*
    Evernote*
    EyeTV*
    FileZilla
    Find Any File
    Firefox
    FirstClass**
    Flip4Mac*
    Fluid
    ForkLift
    G4FanControl*
    Gimp*
    HandBrake
    Hardwaremonitor*
    HuginOSX
    iArchiver
    iCal
    iChat
    iCombiner*
    Inspiration 8 IE*
    iPhoto*
    iSync
    iTunes*
    iWeb
    iWork '09
    Leap
    LibreOffice*
    MacTubes
    MainMenu
    Microsoft AutoUpdate
    Microsoft Office 2004**
    Microsoft Office 2008**
    Moom**
    MPEG Streamclip
    MPlayer OSX Extended
    NeoOffice
    Notational Velocity
    OnyX*
    Open XML Converter*
    PageSender Fax Center*
    Paintbrush*
    PDFpen
    Quicksilver ß54
    RealPlayer
    RealVNC
    Renamer
    ResizeMe
    ScanSnap
    Seashore
    SheepShaver
    Skim*
    Slices
    SlidePad
    SOHO Organizer 9 (for iCloud:iCal/Contacts)*
    Sponge
    SuperDuper!*
    SystemLoad
    TaskPaper-1.0*
    TeamViewer 7*
    TextWrangler
    The Unarchiver
    TinkerTool*
    Toast 10 Titanium
    Together
    TrueCrypt*
    Turbo.264.app
    ViddyUp!
    Virtual PC (/w Win2k)*
    VLC
    WebKit**
    Xee
    Menu
    Yep* (scanning to PDF)
    YouView

(*/** = my favourites, the rest = for the hell of it)

13. jdasikainen thread starter macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

man you got yours loaded up il defiantly post more infomation once i open the powerbook that way i know the specs

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I personally like using ClickToPlugin with my guide here for streaming video.

15. jdasikainen thread starter macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

ah cool il check it out at least last time i was using powerpc youtube was unplayablee in the browser iv been hearing thats changed?

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is not entirely in browser using my guide, but is about the closest thing to it.

17. jdasikainen thread starter macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

ok cool il check it out i used to use the mactubes enabler that let mme right click a video and open in mactubes still sad that that ended s

18. Gamer9430, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016

Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

that's an easy challenge to me. I used an iBook G4 12in 1.33GHz for 2 months last year in school with no issues until the end when it really slowed down (I was unaware of @eyoungren's tweaks at the time) basically causing me to purchase my Dell E6410 that I love now. Now that ive gotten more macs and optimized them, I could easily do that "challenge" for more than a week. Good luck with it anyway!

Anyway, as for software, I keep it pretty basic. iWork and iLife 09, Optimized TenFourFox, Adium for IM, stock mail for eMail, stock iCal for calendar, and Time Machine to back up to my server. As for youtube, I have figured out that if you let the video buffer all the way and then play it, its pretty smooth. It still stutters a bit on my 12in PowerBook mostly thanks to the GPU (the G4 in it is 1.5GHz so that's sufficient enough), but it does work better than playing it immediately when you get to YouTube.

19. jdasikainen thread starter macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

ah cool thanks for the tips. should b here a some tiem today then i gotta record my unboxing set things upa nd put the mac pro away. thing il miss the most is my windows parition for gaming lol only use i have for windows but oh wel il use my xbox exclusivly for gaming for the week. computer wise though it will just b the pbg4 12 inch il keep u all posted and than ks man for the recomendations

20. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I don't have much on mine, but I'll list them anyway

Apps:
    LibreOffice
    BitTorrent(still works flawlessly)
    TenFourFox(With tweaks from Eyoungen)
    Creative Suite 2(PhotoShop CS2,Aftereffects,etc)
    Perian(extra formats for QuickTime)

Games:
    Wolfenstein: Return To Castle
    Quake I
    Halo Combat Evolved
    Star Wars Battlefront
    Red Faction
    (Probably more, I'm not at my PPC at the moment)

I can't really get too much software on my iBook G4 1.33ghz due to the small drive(I'll upgrade sometime, horrible process tho). I also use Leopard which runs well. iTunes still works which is great for sticking songs/apps on my old devices(2G, 3G, 4S running iOS 6.1.3).

21. jdasikainen thread starter macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

ok guys i got it and opened it and the specs are a 1.5 ghz g4 768mb ram 80 gb hard drive nvidia geforce go 5200 64mb graphics c are its a 2005 model i believe as the trackpad has two finger scrolling. not bad for $50 unboxing is uploading to youtube now il post bellow when it is finished

22. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

With the new option of CorePlayer and ClickToPlugin my best experience is to download the video with ClickToPlugin (</= 720p) and view with CorePlayer. :)

23. jdasikainen thread starter macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

wait someone posted that core player was dead

24. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Great, you're lucky! 1.5GHz and 80GB HDD is the optimum - you might swap the 512MB RAM with a 1GB RAM-Chip to max it out.

25. jdasikainen thread starter macrumors 6502

jdasikainen

yeah probably will eventually. loving it so far. ordered a retail tiger disc as well to compare the two. waiting own the 10.5.8 update to finish installing. great machine feels good and everything. best part is i only payed $50 for it on eBay with $20 shipping. so $70 total came with a incase case and the os x ,ac box set that has leopard ilife 09 and iWork 09 pretty good deal llol