Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
Recently gave my son (10 years old) a PC laptop. He's using it primarily for Khan Academy and Minecraft. Got him a Steam gift card, and I'm interested in finding some coop games to play with him. Any suggestions? Was thinking Rocket League. FWIW, he loves simulation things like those bus simulators on the iPad.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The spectrum of acceptable games in large part boils down to how much violence you accept in a game. I have grandkids who are absolutely hooked on games like Left 4 Dead and Borderlands, that involves guns and death. I play these games with them frequently and overal they seem well adjusted, able to seperate the game environment from real life, although I realize that this may be completely unacceptable to you.

One game I'd suggest without hesitance is Portal, a great puzzle game.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
Yeah Portal is a good choice. I loved 1 and 2, and 2 has the coop campaign I think. It's the violence thing that I am trying to keep him out of right now. He has friends playing CoD and Battlefield, and I won't let him play them yet. I wound up picking up Castle Crashers for the two of us to play together.

panda76

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2016
I second Rocket League, very easy game to pick up and great fun right off the bat for all ages

Suture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
Yeah, I think I'm going to get it while it's on sale now. I have it also but I never got around to trying it with multiplayer. Thanks!

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Grow Home - that one is a lot of fun and very original. Often very cheap on Steam or Humble Bundle.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2007
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. Looking into them. Also picked up Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. Wow, very unique, tense, and FUN!

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
...I'm interested in finding some coop games to play with him. Any suggestions?...

Civ V multiplayer
Borderlands 2 the violence is so cartoonish it's hard to think it matters plus I believe there's a setting to turn some of it off.

If you have a controller I'd also highly recommend Guacamelee! an indie title that has a 2player mode though admittedly it's better as a single player experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.