PC Games On A Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by dOjOb, Mar 4, 2012.

1. dOjOb, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

dOjOb macrumors newbie

dOjOb

:)Hi you guys....my first time asking....A newbie..:)

I am going to buy a Mac Pro that is due out pretty soon. Either the 12 cores or 16 cores... My question is ..is it really ok to play PC game on a Mac Pro.....
    I am not a hardcore gamer..just play games now and then.... Decided to get a Mac Pro because of job related/projects... Mainly digital imaging/ videos / rendering and stuff..... This is going to be my first Mac ever.....Decided to switch to Mac from PC.....

So far the games that I have are
    1. Arkham Asylum GOTY
    2. Arkham City PCCE
    3. Skyrim PCCE
    4. Witcher2 PCCE
    5. Mass Effect
    6. Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition
    Thanks for reading and answering.
    >:)

2. dOjOb thread starter macrumors newbie

dOjOb

Okie....
    :DThanks Miles. Appreciate it so much. Big help.:D

3. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Pretty much every game I throw at my 2010 Mac Pro runs at max settings and 2560x1440 in Windows 7. Guess you won't have any problems with a 2012 Mac Pro for years. :)

4. Wardenski macrumors 6502

My 2008 Mac Pro still plays any game more or less at max settings (1920x1200) including Crysis although I did buy a PC 5870 before the Mac version came out. This is with Windows 7 64bit Home Premium. I also use a PCIe soundblaster to get 5.1 out of games.

A new Mac Pro with a 7970 should last at least as long as mine since most big games are console ports these days so they are not pushing as much as they used to IMO.

5. ReallyRedCobra macrumors member

I game on my Mac Pro 1,1 with Windows 7 (64bit), and a 5770. It handles most new games just fine. Some settings i need to turn down but as long as I stay over 30 fps i'm happy.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If I can happily play PC games via W7 on my 2011 MBP, you can absolutely play them on your MacPro. Have fun and welcome to the MR forums! :)

7. goMac macrumors 603

Games on a Mac Pro play exactly the same as a normal PC. Just be sure to use Boot Camp.

8. dOjOb thread starter macrumors newbie

dOjOb

:D:):D Wow! Thanks you guys!:D:):D
    Really appreciate all the help. Certainly makes me feel :D:D:D that I am going to be able to play my PC games on the mac Pro.

And.... like I said...this is going to be my first ever Mac Pro...so I guess you guys are going to see alot of me here as I am def sure that I will have lots and lots of questions about "The Big Mac"..... heeee heeee..... guess that is what I am going to call my new Machine when I get it.....:)

Again...thanks!

>;-)

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

It mostly depends on the gfx you choose.
    The 5770 is decent, but a 5870 will give 50%+ better performance in games.
    As other suggest you could get a card for windows only and get more performance for money.

10. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

Enjoy your New Mac Pro and gaming on it once you get it, Welcome to Macrumors :D

11. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Never played PC games smoother than on my old Mac Pro.

12. dOjOb thread starter macrumors newbie

dOjOb

:)Again...Thank You for reading and answering. Appreciate it much.:)

13. ndonnine macrumors newbie

I've played TF2, D3 Beta, BF3 on my mbp.... And BF3/ D3 are more demanding than the games you listed.

Enjoy! I loaded windows with bootcamp and it runs smooth as HOT BUTTER :) or a nice whiskey.

14. nickwills macrumors newbie

I have never played games on mac pro. But i am play games for window 7 i like because easy to play and control. Gta vice city,san andreas,fifa 08,call of duty may favorite games. I hope mac pro runs at max settings in window 7.

15. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

IMO, a Hackintosh would be better for you if you want to do the research involved.

16. dOjOb thread starter macrumors newbie

dOjOb

Mac Pro When?................

Hey you guys.......
    With so many new chips comin' out...all those Sandy Bridge/Ivy Sandy Bridge.. when do you guys think the Mac Pro is going to be release?. I'm just so excited! Can't wait to get the Mac Pro. Soon I hope.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

I can't disagree with you more about the D3 beta. The D3 beta does not tax my computer at all. And I'm on a 2012 iMac. A Mac Pro with a decent gpu will just ace it and play it very well.