PCI expansion ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by enny001, Apr 11, 2015.

1. enny001 macrumors member

Hi guys is there cheap option to expend pci outside of mac what i mean is to have gpu cards outside of my mac all 4 of them since there is no space inside it does not hvae to look nice just cables reaching outside.

Thanks

2. Synchro3 macrumors 68000

Synchro3

If it is für GPGPU: http://amfeltec.com/products/gpu-oriented-cluster/

3. enny001 thread starter macrumors member

hm

all those are like 300 and over anything cheap er?

4. thornslack macrumors 6502

What you're looking for is called a PCIe riser card. They come in various lane configurations and lengths.

5. handheldgames, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

handheldgames macrumors 65816

handheldgames

For a nMP
    Search Google Akitio & egpu and you shall find.

For a cMP
    PCIe expansion costs for x8 or x16 connections are well above $300. A single x16 riser with 2 x16 slots behind a PCIe switch is around $130.

For the most informative / passionate response:
    Seek the one known as MacVidCards

Thunderbolt example:
    [​IMG]

6. enny001 thread starter macrumors member

so PCI-E PCI Express 16X Riser Card Extender would work with no problems or speed decrease in gpu. I mean i can build small rack for gpu and Riser Card Extender coming out of my mac and have 4 graphic cards ruining

Thanks guys for all the help.

7. thornslack macrumors 6502

No problem. I used a small x4 riser in order to run two double slot GFX cards in the x16 slots, allowing me to mount my Apricorn Velocity x2 card in the HD Bay 4 area and keep my USB 3.0 card installed.

I've seen people go external like you're intending, on the Xserve systems I think, but it's not something I've done. I imagine you'll want to make sure you mitigate the risk of possible ESD damage for any exposed parts. Good luck, post a pic when you're done!

8. enny001, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

enny001 thread starter macrumors member

Here is what i did so far without any riser gtx550ti gtx770 and radeon 5770. I removed 2 HD trays to fit 550ti and i am planing to reroute one HD with Sata Male to Female extension cable to where dvd burner was i will also have a power supply in there to power 770

Only problem that i might have is heat thinking of adding a extra fan in the back of the cards ot drill a hole and attache the fan on the doors that come off the mac pro directly blowing in to the cards. does the fan blow air in to out?

PS i dont think i need Sata Male to Female extension cable since dvd has them all ready.

thanks

Attached Files: