PCWorld (UK) - avoid!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vanilla, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Hi
    So after I heard about the new macbooks I admit to experiencing a bout of mild frustration. I had just bought a black macbook on Feb 15th from a local PCWORLD store, which although I am very happy with it I was nevertheless frustrated knowing that if I'd waited 12 days I could have got a slightly better processor, larger HD and greater RAM for the same money.

But then I read posts of people who had successfully returned their recent purchases and got them replaced with a new macbook - sometimes without even a restocking fee - provided the original purchase was done within 14 days of the new release.

So, cool, my purchase at Feb 15th is within that 14 day period so I should be fine was my thought. I contacted Apple but they said I had to go back to PCWorld. I did have a nagging concern that this was going to be an issue but I figured they must surely match such a fundamental service.

I was so wrong.

I called PC World customer support and explained the situation but they are insisting that they cannot honour this agreement so I appear to be stuck with a 12 day old MacBook that has now been superseded. I said that I felt it unfair they were penalising me for buying an Apple product from them direct rather than going to an Apple retail store, which seemed an odd way to entice customers to them, but they were unmoved.

So this is a warning to avoid buying from PC World as this seems particularly unfair. I am certainly going to be encouraging my work colleagues and friends to purchase direct from Apple rather than going anywhere near PC World in future!

Thankfully the macbook I have is superb so it's not as if I've got no machine. No, this is more about the unfairness of their stance, which I find completely irritating.

Vanilla

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

They are not unfair. I highly doubt that PC World knew there were new MacBooks coming 12 days ago. You take a risk buying new technology and it is not up to them to give you a replacement computer just because there is a slightly better one available.

I think you are being ridiculously harsh here and I would just remember that you still have a great machine!

3. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

PC World is just total *****.

I remember buying something when I had a PC a few years ago. I didn't know if it would work, so I asked a 'salesman' ( used lightly, they are a joke ) and of course, they didn't know if it would work on my setup. I said, "so I can return it if it doesn't work, since you are unable to tell me". They responded, "No you can't".

So, they wanted me to buy something but not return it if it didn't work... unlike most other stores.

There's been a lot of bad press about PC World. This one is an absolute hoot. Shows just how bad PC World is:
    http://www.channelregistear.co.uk/2007/09/20/pc_world_heavy_macbook/

After my experience, I avoided PC World like the plaque.

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with neiltc13's comments (if the MacBook isn't faulty and you were happy with the MacBook a few days ago...) it might be worth your while checking PC World's returns policy. Do they allow you return a product if you're not happy with it?

EDIT: How did you pay for it?

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

What people seem to forget is that when you buy something you are entering into a contract with the store. There are certain provisions in there to stop the (usually financially more powerful) store taking advantage of consumers but unless the store does something that specifically breaks the contract (ie sells you good which are not fit for purpose) then they have no obligation to do anything other than provide the goods.

6. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

My local PC world still sells third revision MacBooks and white Core Duo iMacs running tiger. Their organization is just awful, along customer service and price of most peripherals and components.

Just buy direct from apple or dedicated apple reseller (i've got a large music store near me that has a mac dept, which is great.)

7. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Isn't there some provision (right word?) in UK law that allows the consumer to return a project for any reason within 14 days? Or was it only seven...

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Well what do you propose they do with them? They've bought the computers from Apple so do you think they're just going to stockpile all of these computers which their customers clearly do not want?

9. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

They should never have ordered them in the first place if no one is going to buy them. Or at least offer a discount of some kind.

Also, someone i know went into PC and was told that the Ram was not upgradeable on a macbook as apple used "special screws" that require a "special screwdriver"

10. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

If you purchase something via credit (hire purchase) you get 14 day 'cooling off' period or if it's over the internet / mail order / 'direct selling' it's between 7-to-14 days dependent upon the company.

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Not at all. If you buy a product, it is bought, unless it doesn't work as described. The only case where you have a legal right to return is if a company contacts you (cold calling), but not if you entered their shop on your own free will.

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Yeah, a torx screwdriver. Took me ten seconds to go on eBay, and you get a set of six different sizes for £0.99 plus £2.99 for postage.

13. Vanilla thread starter macrumors 6502a

The point I was making was that IF I had purchased from an Apple retail store - who by all accounts also are unaware of new product arrivals - I would have been able to switch my purchase to the new release in this rare event where a refresh occurred in the same period.

The positioning of Apple in PCWorld is like a store within a store, with its own floor area, design and staff. As a consumer you are seduced into feeling you've walked into an extension of Apple. It's quite impressive but as I described actual post-sales support is a completely different matter.

Refusing to mirror the service offered from an Apple Retail outlet is a pretty odd way of enticing customers to purchase from you direct rather than going to an Apple retail outlet.

So, they may have saved themselves the hassle of organising a returns policy with Apple to cover such rare situations but I for one have now felt compelled to write this post on a popular BB and have encouraged all my work colleages and friends to go direct to Apple in future and avoid PC World at all costs...I have no empirical way of evaluating the counter cost of the negative PR this generates but I'm pretty sure this comparison is not particularly attractive!

But - and this is a big but - yes the macbook I have is rather wonderful. I have no qualms with it at all. I am simply incredibly annoyed that my one experience of buying via an Apple partner rather than from Apple direct has been such a negative experience.

Vanilla

14. russtic macrumors member

PCworld are awful - never touch them. This, however, is not for the reasons you mention.

As a few people have said there are no rights to return a fully working item unless you have bought it online (distance selling regs) or via cold calling.

Your best bet for resolution is to escalate this with Apple. Tell them how unhappy you are as you felt that their customer service would automatically extend to resellers....

You never know

15. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

There is a rule but some retailers don't know about it, it's about customer satisfaction, where a product sold must be fit for the purpose. Technically, your not allowed to make returns on goods which ain't 'faulty' or 'incomplete'. Also, somewhere within the Consumer Law act, UK retailers ain't allowed to resell goods which have already been sold and used by the public - but many do!! And it's technically an offence, if found guilty.

Maybe the OB should of returned the unit as "faulty"? as most PC retailers know sweet FA about Macs. Then again, the Dixons Group (owners of PC World & Currys -formerly 'Dixons') are notorious for bad customer service - they've been on the WatchDog many times, yet people still buy from them. WHY?

AppleStores however, have a different rule... Which states they will allow a buyer/purchaser to return a system for a refund/exchange within 14 days (and there's no re-stocking fee, unlike the US), provided they have all the packaging and the system isn't physically damaged. From my understanding and experience, it's true here in Japan too!

This is why so many Mac users are getting a better deal,
    than those who've purchased their machine from a high street electrical retailer.

16. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Rule Number 1 :

Never buy anything from a box shifter.

17. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

UK Specific Information:

Buyer's remorse is not legal grounds to return a product with which there is nothing physically wrong.

Some retail companies allow for a "no-quibble" returns period after purchase, but they aren't obliged to do so under law - such policies are goodwill gestures in addition to your staturory rights.

You have seven days "cooling off" when someone comes to your home and sells you something, but this doesn't apply to standard retail purchases.

Cheers!

Jim

(Customer Service Manager for a national High Street retail chain)