PDF/File Manager App That Uses iCloud Drive

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by wolfpackfan, Sep 21, 2014.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Has anyone come across an app that has been updated to IOS 8 iCloud Drive (that uses the document picker) that allows PDF reading, file management, etc. Specifically I'm looking for an app like GoodReader or Documents 5. I've used both these app interchangeable for years but neither have been updated to include the document picker, even though GoodReader has been in all the Apple promo screenshots.

Right now I'm using DropBox as a workaround but I'd like something closer to Documents 5.

2. Rigby macrumors 601

I think many people are waiting for this, including me. ;) According to this blog, an update for Documents 5 is pending:

https://readdle.com/blog/2014/09/introducing-exclusive-ios-8-updates-for-all-readdle-apps/

I'm sure Goodreader won't be far behind. These apps are about to become even more useful ...

3. Rigby macrumors 601

So, Goodreader has just been updated and supposedly supports import/export to iCloud Drive. However, I can't figure out how to do it (all I see is the old-style iCloud syncing, which doesn't allow access to other applications' folders). :confused: Anybody found it?

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Press the "tools" button on the upper right. On the pull up at the bottom, swipe to the left and press Import. Select iCloud Drive.

5. Rigby macrumors 601

Aha! Thanks. :)

6. Rigby macrumors 601

For the sake of completeness, the updated version of Documents 5 with iCloud Drive support has just been released as well.

7. matthewadams macrumors regular

And for the sake of even more completeness, so was Readdle's PDF Expert :)

8. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

PDF Expert is hands down the best PDF experience out there. Happy to see it updated.

9. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

Are you finding that the iCloud Drive documents picker crashes a lot? I've experience this is Transmit, Scanner Pro, and now PDF expert...

10. X-X macrumors 6502

Still no iPhone 6 support for any of their apps?

Readdle sucks.

11. matthewadams macrumors regular

Just gave PDF Expert a shot after having put some docs in it on yosemite.
    first attempt i only saw grey icons without a description, clicked on one and it crashed. worked on second attempt.
    seems rather flakey

12. madsci954 macrumors 68030

My experience so far is it's pretty slow with a large number of files, but one at a time, it works great. For the gray icons, either let it go longer or force quit the app and relaunch.

13. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Does Documents 5 offer up a storage provider for the file picker in other iOS apps?

14. Rigby macrumors 601

Yes it does (tested with Scanner Pro). Goodreader does not.

15. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Ah perfect. Documents came in handy occasionally for handling multiple files. Could be even more useful now that it's in the filepicker.

16. Rigby macrumors 601

Has anyone tried the Touch ID option in Documents 5? It keeps disabling itself on my 6 with 8.0.2 ...

17. niktsak macrumors newbie

goodreader folder missing from windows icloud drive app

GUYS i have a problem.i cant seem to find the goodreader folder in the icloud drive app in windows to add files.the documents 5 folder is there but the goodreader folder is missing.the strange thing is that when i logo in to my icoud drive account from abrowser the goodreader folder still is still missing.the other strange thing is that from my ipad and iphone i can access this folder throughsome apps who support the icloud drive export optioni can uderstand whats going on. can you help me?????

18. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

True, and it can open other file types (Pages, Numbers etc)

Definitely ahead of the pack at the moment, but this is a fast moving scene, could change soon.

19. necropunk, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

necropunk macrumors member

Document Picker implementation in PDF Expert is really useful for me, something that I've been looking for in ages.
    I rely heavily on my iPad to read and highlight PDFs and it was a real pain having to keep the files in sync between the tablet and my laptop. Mine is the 16GB version and the need to download a local copy of the file in order to edit them was quite stressful.

If apps that are already able to stream video and MP3 from ftp servers make use of document picker and if iCloud Drive allows selective sync in the near future I might as well upgrade to 1TB and have all my cloud data in one place rather than having it fragmented all over services like box & drop box (and I'll probably ditch gmail too).

20. GBR macrumors 6502

I've noticed a problem when using Documents 5 by Readdle with iCloud Drive. I put some folders in the 'Documents 5' folder that the app created in iCloud Drive which contained numbers files, pages files, excel files, and PDFs. I've notice that it syncs all those files except the pages and numbers files... It's like the app or iCloud Drive is keeping those file types from syncing even though its a nested folder inside the 'Documents 5' folder in iCloud Drive. Anyone else notice this?

21. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Same issue here

22. Rigby macrumors 601

An update for Documents 5 was released on Tuesday. I haven't had the problem since then.

23. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Thanks for the information because I have disabled Touch ID when that issue appeared.

By they way question for those who are using Documents and have enabled iCloud drive. Is it possible to select multiple files via iCloud Drive and send in one email?

24. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

I'm surprised iBooks do not have this feature.