"Peak" and "pop"

66gonzo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
so, the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus have been out for about 5 weeks now. As a 6s owner, I have noticed that I really don't use the "peak" and "pop" functions too much. Being a male with "average" to "above average" hand size i have found that when I try to use peak to preview emails or messages, much of my hand is blocking the screen so reading content isn't that easy.

Do any other 6s owners use these functions or are you experiencing the same thing as I am? How about 6s Plus owners - do you find that you use peak and pop more than actually opening messages or emails?

Reactions: ABC5S

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I never use 'pop' because it seems to need a stupidly firm press, but I do use 'peek' sometimes with emails.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
I try to use it, but it seems useless. The use case with the biggest promise is safari links, but most of the time like on this site, pages have headers that take up too much space. I do like having quick access to actions if I slide up though.

mirz2000

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
US
I use it for emails and occasionally text message (to send to a recent textee). I haven't had the issue you describe with hand blocking the screen, but I have small hands and a 6s plus.

ericgtr12

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2015
I like the feature, especially with photos, the only real issue for me is that whatever I peak at ends up with my finger right in the middle of it so I really have to pop it open to fully see.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
I use it for emails and occasionally text message (to send to a recent textee). I haven't had the issue you describe with hand blocking the screen, but I have small hands and a 6s plus.
Its useful for text messages when you don't want to send a read receipt for a certain message.

cbrand493

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2015
Perth, Australia
I use it all the time with SMS and email. I'm on the go a lot and not always sat at a desk so if I'm standing or walking and a text/email comes in its easy to peak, have a quick read and either leave it for later or pop into the message to reply. Haven't really used it on anything else but we're waiting for app developers to catch up.

ccrunner_tj

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2010
West Lafayette, IN
I use it all the time, to the point where I am disappointed that not all apps support the gestures for links. I try to peek at a link in Twitter just to bring up the share sheet. I use a 6S+, and I could see where on a 6S the problem of your hand getting in the way of the content could be a larger deal, but you can move your finger horizontally after pressing to get it out of the way, which is useful.

Reactions: shanson27

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I use it all the time, to the point where I am disappointed that not all apps support the gestures for links. I try to peek at a link in Twitter just to bring up the share sheet. I use a 6S+, and I could see where on a 6S the problem of your hand getting in the way of the content could be a larger deal, but you can move your finger horizontally after pressing to get it out of the way, which is useful.

That's a good point about moving your finger. Once you peek at a link just slide your finger out of the way to look at it. Works great.

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
With "Peek", you can initiate the action and slide your finger out of the way while still somewhat pressing into the screen. This should let you view the content you're "peeking" into. The same is true for the trackpad on the keyboard. Once you've started the action, you don't need to press as hard.

66gonzo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
That's a good point about moving your finger. Once you peek at a link just slide your finger out of the way to look at it. Works great.
I didn't realize that you could move your fingers without initiating the "read", "delete", or response actions. ??

I'll give that a try and see if that changes how often I use it.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
I didn't realize that you could move your fingers without initiating the "read", "delete", or response actions. ??

I'll give that a try and see if that changes how often I use it.
Yep. You can move it up and release your finger and the peek view with option stays on screen.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
Did some more testing and realized it only lags in Messages when the conversation hasn't been loaded into memory. Works fine elsewhere in the OS

RRF985

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2013
I really enjoy the peek function when people text me links. Occasionally I use pop but it's rare. I do wish more apps had this added functionality though.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
so, the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus have been out for about 5 weeks now. As a 6s owner, I have noticed that I really don't use the "peak" and "pop" functions too much. Being a male with "average" to "above average" hand size i have found that when I try to use peak to preview emails or messages, much of my hand is blocking the screen so reading content isn't that easy.

Do any other 6s owners use these functions or are you experiencing the same thing as I am? How about 6s Plus owners - do you find that you use peak and pop more than actually opening messages or emails?
I use peak all the time with texts. It allows me to read messages without sending read receipts or marking the message as "read".

Applefan4

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
I've only had the phone for one day but I'm enjoying using 3D Touch to open app manager and 3D touching the keyboard to move the cursor around. Haven't used the peek and pop yet for anything practical though, maybe I'll find a use for this feature

Reactions: iphonedude2008