"Peak" and "pop"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 66gonzo, Oct 29, 2015.

1. 66gonzo macrumors regular

so, the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus have been out for about 5 weeks now. As a 6s owner, I have noticed that I really don't use the "peak" and "pop" functions too much. Being a male with "average" to "above average" hand size i have found that when I try to use peak to preview emails or messages, much of my hand is blocking the screen so reading content isn't that easy.

Do any other 6s owners use these functions or are you experiencing the same thing as I am? How about 6s Plus owners - do you find that you use peak and pop more than actually opening messages or emails?

2. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

I never use 'pop' because it seems to need a stupidly firm press, but I do use 'peek' sometimes with emails.

3. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

I try to use it, but it seems useless. The use case with the biggest promise is safari links, but most of the time like on this site, pages have headers that take up too much space. I do like having quick access to actions if I slide up though.

4. mirz2000 macrumors regular

I use it for emails and occasionally text message (to send to a recent textee). I haven't had the issue you describe with hand blocking the screen, but I have small hands and a 6s plus.

5. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I like the feature, especially with photos, the only real issue for me is that whatever I peak at ends up with my finger right in the middle of it so I really have to pop it open to fully see.

6. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Its useful for text messages when you don't want to send a read receipt for a certain message.

7. cbrand493 macrumors 6502

I use it all the time with SMS and email. I'm on the go a lot and not always sat at a desk so if I'm standing or walking and a text/email comes in its easy to peak, have a quick read and either leave it for later or pop into the message to reply. Haven't really used it on anything else but we're waiting for app developers to catch up.

8. Zorba macrumors regular

Zorba

Use it all the time in Instagram and Mail. Other things, not so much.

9. ccrunner_tj macrumors member

ccrunner_tj

I use it all the time, to the point where I am disappointed that not all apps support the gestures for links. I try to peek at a link in Twitter just to bring up the share sheet. I use a 6S+, and I could see where on a 6S the problem of your hand getting in the way of the content could be a larger deal, but you can move your finger horizontally after pressing to get it out of the way, which is useful.

10. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

That's a good point about moving your finger. Once you peek at a link just slide your finger out of the way to look at it. Works great.

11. that be me macrumors 6502

With "Peek", you can initiate the action and slide your finger out of the way while still somewhat pressing into the screen. This should let you view the content you're "peeking" into. The same is true for the trackpad on the keyboard. Once you've started the action, you don't need to press as hard.

12. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

Or you can just not send read receipts at all.

13. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

I like sending read receipts. I'm saying you could use it on a case by case basis with peek

14. 66gonzo thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't realize that you could move your fingers without initiating the "read", "delete", or response actions. ??

I'll give that a try and see if that changes how often I use it.

15. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Yep. You can move it up and release your finger and the peek view with option stays on screen.

16. viperGTS macrumors 68000

Slightly OT, but I just tested this and it's SO LAGGY scrolling between those options!

17. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Yeah lag is a problem with Apple's blur effect.

18. viperGTS macrumors 68000

It's a shame too. I thought the A9 was powerful with graphics...

19. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

It actually runs fine on my Plus. I would give it a few more tries. At least the lag isn't consistent.

20. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Did some more testing and realized it only lags in Messages when the conversation hasn't been loaded into memory. Works fine elsewhere in the OS

21. viperGTS macrumors 68000

I accidentally discovered that if you 3D touch a contact's image circle in Messages, you get quick menus to call them, FaceTime them, or email them. Pretty cool!

(Lag is still present, though)

22. mhoepfin macrumors regular

Cool did not know this.

23. RRF985 macrumors member

I really enjoy the peek function when people text me links. Occasionally I use pop but it's rare. I do wish more apps had this added functionality though.

24. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I use peak all the time with texts. It allows me to read messages without sending read receipts or marking the message as "read".

25. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

I've only had the phone for one day but I'm enjoying using 3D Touch to open app manager and 3D touching the keyboard to move the cursor around. Haven't used the peek and pop yet for anything practical though, maybe I'll find a use for this feature