Pebble CEO trash talks Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by shk718, Mar 3, 2015.

1. shk718 macrumors 65816

Pebble CEO says "he’s just not that into smartwatches that are “relegated to being an accessory to your mobile phones.” Exactly what (w/o wifi or a cell chip and big honking battery to support them) can any watch do w/o a cell phone? can the Pebble send/receive text messages? Can it get news updates? Can it get the weather? NO! In fact I think the Apple Watch is more capable - it can monitor your heart beat/steps and play music w/o an iPhone.

http://www.cultofandroid.com/72135/apple-watch-definitely-lacking-says-pebble-founder/

2. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Isn't that what the Pebble is???

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yet blatantly copies one of the Edition models.

4. noobinator macrumors 601

What a dummy. I'm gonna throw away my pebble just for fun.

5. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

It always amuses me how quick the completion is to take a swipe at an Apple product. Competitors were quick to make fun of the stupid bendgate and then Apple goes and sells 74 million phones in the holiday quarter. Now it's rip on Watch time. If Watch is as bad as they say the best thing to do would be to say nothing and let the product flop all on its own.

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Should be interesting to see what happens after iOS 8.2 is released. Apple is notorious for making life difficult for direct competitors of its products. Once Apple is selling 5M watches, I bet they'll care whether the Pebble works even less than they do now.

7. cleirac macrumors 6502

It keeps Apple in the news - and they thought it will be for their products benefits. Why not let the products they are selling speak for themselves. They never learn from what happened in the last quarter to Apple vs. the companies mocking / bashing them with half-truths relentlessly. Oh wait, what is happening, Pebble really loves Apple because guys, come on, it is helping Apple sell the :apple: Watch Gold Edition too. I am confused. All this trash talking is for a show. :eek:

8. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

And you have to feel sorry for those Pebble customers who will buy it. People will think they wear a faked Apple Watch instead of a genuine Pebble.

9. technosix macrumors 6502a

I don't see why anyone would let this bother them. It's just business.

10. rjlawrencejr macrumors 6502

Definitely true. Plus we don't know exactly what questions were posed and how they were asked.

11. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Yeah, never listen to marketing guys or executives, especially when they speak about the competition. I just tune out completely whenever some suit flaps his gums about another company's offerings, because I know anything he spews is just going to be pure offal anyway.

Why waste the time listening to it?

12. technosix macrumors 6502a

Well said.

13. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

Pebble is the Blackberry of Smart Watches.

It was pretty impressive for it's time and found a loyal niche of users, but it's going to be obsolete in April.

14. NeilHD macrumors regular

I think what he's getting it is that for Apple the watch is just an accessory for one of their phones. For Pebble, the watch is their entire business.

The Smartstraps thing they announced yesterday also has some interesting applications.

Pebble won't be history come April. Of course Apple will sell more (vast amounts more), but Pebble will carry on quite nicely. On the eve of a hugely-hyped product launch from Apple they've managed to get themselves $15m in Kickstarter orders (I'm calling it orders not backing because really this is what they are in this case), which is quite impressive.

15. shk718 thread starter macrumors 65816

are they Blackberry or Palm? They remind me more of palm because I don't think they have the money to keep up with Apple and Google.

16. bubbleboil macrumors member

At least pebble is the only smart watch in the market with more than 5 days of battery.

17. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

And what's the tradeoff for that? - An awful screen and limited features.

I'd much rather have the features and a nice screen through charging it every night. It's hardly a big effort.

18. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Obviously everyone would love longer battery life in their electronics. But how many people who would own a smartwatch are without access to power for more than a day? Take the watch off at night and slap it on the charger. Or if it doesn't take that long to charge, charge it before you go to bed and charge it again in the morning when you wake up and jump in the shower.

19. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Hopefully the rumored wireless charging is true.

20. extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

No doubt. If Pebble is concerned, no hype for Apple Watch is better than bad hype. If it flops, it flops. If it's a success, you come across as having an inferior product that can only defend itself by downplaying the competition.

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

22. AngusW macrumors 6502

AngusW

I was thinking the same thing. Although I do need to see if I can create my watch face from this for my Apple Watch when it comes out. I need to keep the crack in the universe in front of me.

23. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Pebble just raised 13.5 Million on Kick starter to all intents and purposes that is almost 100,000 pre-orders. They will be okay.

24. shk718 thread starter macrumors 65816

I hope it works with the charging pads that are currently on the market - are there standards for wireless charging?

I would love longer battery life on the watch - but to be honest - I have the current pebble which lasts me about 3 days. This is an awkward amount of time - it's hard to remember every 3 days to charge the watch - so I end up charging it almost every day anyway.

----------

13.5 million less manufacturing costs, less salaries, less r&d on the next watch ... I'm sure their money goes fast!

25. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

"Awful" is subjective - in sunlight, there's no better screen tech than e-paper for example, and its low power draw is an advantage for those who value long battery life. Not everyone is attracted to the features the Watch offers, so it's good there are options for everyone, yes?