Pebble Says Existing Smartwatch Services Will Continue to Function Through 2017

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 15, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Pebble has moved to reassure its customers that software and services will continue to run through 2017, following Fitbit's acquisition of the company last week.

Fitbit bought out Pebble for its software assets, not for its hardware, which has concerned many existing owners of Pebble smartwatches about the continued functionality of their devices. Today, however, Pebble sought to allay fears by confirming in a blog post that services would continue as normal for at least another year.

[​IMG]
    Pebble said it has "seen a massive influx of community developers teaming up to keep the Pebble watch experience alive, long into the future," but as TechCrunch notes, what that means for third-party apps developed for the smartwatch remains unclear.

In addition, Pebble said that it was working on an update for release in the coming months that will ensure the normal operation of core Pebble functions, including Pebble Health, once the company's cloud services close down.

Article Link: Pebble Says Existing Smartwatch Services Will Continue to Function Through 2017

2. ip67, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016

ip67 macrumors regular

ip67

Bought a Pebble 2 a week before rumors of the acquisition and even wrote my own watch face for it. However, when Pebble confirmed the acquisition and the lack of info they provided on how their services would or would not continue in the future, I returned it back to Amazon.

There was no concrete information, and now with this newly posted information, any thing could happen after 2017; there was no point in keeping this device that might be pretty much useless after a year of ownership.

3. saudor macrumors 6502

the downside to the crazy reliance on "cloud services" these days..

4. cube macrumors G5

5. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

6. cube macrumors G5

7. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For a moment there I read that as Pebble would brick devices after 2017, but then it was addressed in the article. I guess thats how clickbait works.

And now that I'm here it's a shame this happened, I hope it's hackable and dedicated folks keep it alive. I bought a Kickstarter Pebble years ago and now it just sits on a wooden block stand thing beside my iMac - it makes a really neat alert device despite it not being worn on my wrist for a year+. I was planning on getting a new one at some point, was hoping for the same colour e-Ink display but with touchscreen functionality.

9. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

One day, there will be a similar news for Apple's cloud based services.

10. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

Nope.

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Nothing good lasts forever these days.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

13. jakeOSX macrumors regular

out of curiosity, how long do you think such a device should work?

I have the original for about two years now and feel like I've gotten my worth from it. I still wear it, but when its time comes, I won't be disappointed.

with as fast as some of the tech changes, it is hard to gage how long a 'good run' for a wearable should be. I feel two years is a good baseline, but that is more based on the life of the phone it is (usually) attached to.

14. frankgrimes macrumors 6502a

frankgrimes

Exactly why I would never buy a smart watch the company can decide how long the life span is.

Rather buy a Breitling and have it working for decades

15. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

"Relax it's just a watch Jony" said Pebble a couple years back.. well now apple can say "relax, it's just bankruptcy"

16. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

We will see.

17. Mowin' Man macrumors newbie

Mowin' Man

I developed a Pebble app (Volleyball Referee Timer) several years ago, and have updated it regularly. I actually know a bunch of referees that purchased a Pebble just to use my app. Now I need to consider writing a similar app for Apple Watch. It won't be the same. There were three huge advantages to the Pebble:
    1. Physical buttons for the various timers.
    2. Long battery life (I'm skeptical that the Apple Watch could last for a long full-day tournament).
    3. Coding for the Pebble is simpler.
    Here's hoping that FitBit does something worthwhile with the Pebble technology that they just bought! Maybe my app will be reincarnated on a future FitBit device.

18. sirozha macrumors 6502

I bought an original Pebble Watch for my 6-year-old son a week before the infamous email went out. I saw a deal on Groupon for $40 and jumped on it. I tried to cancel the order when I read the email from the Pebble CEO, but the watch had shipped the previous day.

My son has been begging me for an Apple watch, but I think an Apple Watch for a 6-year-old who doesn't even own an iPhone and is just now learning how to tell time on an analog watch face is too much. So, I figured a cheap Pebble would be a good introduction into smart watches for my son. He will probably break the watch before Pebble services discontinue. However, I still think it's outrageous that no government agency is intervening to make sure the services are supported for a long time and the warranty terms are honored. I'm sure Pebble would want to honor their commitment to the faithful customers who supported them since the inception of the first Pebble Watch, but Pebble was probably in such bad financial state that they really had no choice. Fitbit, on the other hand, needs to be slapped by the regulators for this outrageous lack of respect for the customers of the company they just bought.

19. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

The battery lasts longer than the support! :)

20. BlargKing macrumors regular

BlargKing

Thus ended my owning a smartwatch. I refuse to buy any Fitbit product after this and no other smartwatch comes close to matching the simple yet functional interface of the pebble, not to mention the impressive battery life.

Not everyone wants a massive color display on their wrist. Some of us just want a watch that can do notifications and a handful of simple but fun apps. I'm going to miss being able to check my phone without having to fish it out of my cramped jeans pockets.

21. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

Apart from the always on screen (their USP), not much else great about them.

I bought the Pebble Time Steel. After a few weeks, they sold out of the steel wrist band and couldn't supply any more. They changed their focus to fitness (Pebble Health) so I asked for a genuine Pebble silicone band. They couldn't sell me one or advise where I can purchase one. If I had a Pebble Time and the silicone band was faulty, they would ship me another (I asked).

Now I have an Apple watch, I wanted a silicone band, I bought one.

How can a company focus on fitness and not be able to provide a silicone band (used for fitness). No wonder they died!

22. JimmyJimmyYam macrumors member

As much as I love my Pebble Time Steel (and loved my Pebble Time and Pebble Original before it), this does nothing to allay my fears of the next iOS update rendering it useless :eek:

So here's hoping for a :apple: Watch Series 3 in September that actually gets me excited!

23. honglong1976 macrumors 6502a

honglong1976

Fitbit Blaze - 5-7 days battery life. Notifications that actually work (unlike any Pebble I owned) and a color screen with very good fitness tracking built in.

As Apple Watch proves, always on screen is not required! There will be a point in the future when always on screens match the colour and quality of the Apple Watch. It's just not yet!

Pebble screen tech, a glimpse of the future!

24. BlargKing macrumors regular

BlargKing

Not buying a Fitbit. Or an Apple watch. Ignoring the cost and ugliness of the watch, does it even work with Android? That to me was another key point of the Pebble. It worked well on either platform.