"Peeking" into Notification Center.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I noticed something from the iOS 5 beta videos, unless you pull the Notification Center down completely widgets and notifications don't show up.

If you pull it down a quarter or half way, it's blank, there's just the linen background.

It shouldn't be like that IMO, we should be able to pull it down a little to say look at the weather and then let it go and it folds up on the it's own.

That would be nice in full screen apps and games too, got some notification, pull it down a little(Peek), it's nothing important, let it go, continue playing.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

can you arrange the order they are in? if so what if you put the weather at the bottom

3. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

4. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

The point is that you have to complete the full gesture, pull it all the way down for things to show up.

In Android you can pull the menu down a bit and everything that should be visible is displayed.

If Apple was going to copy Android, I wish they had at least done it well.

5. Cod3rror, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that noticed that.

Notification menu is a total bolt on in iOS, it feels like they implemented it as the last second.

You don't actually move any UI element, it appears out of nowhere "like magic" in Android you actually pull down the status bar. Also notice how Android's status bar itself changes to display date and time when you tap on it.

At 0:08.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7DmxcXHVEY

Then nothing is visible till you pull it all the way down.

In Android you don't need to do that.

[​IMG]

Can some dev please submit this to Apple?

EDIT: Here's an easy explanation/analogy for those that don't get it: When you want to quickly take look out the window do you move to the drapes all the way from one end to the other? No, you move one side a little bit take a small peek. It's the same thing here.

6. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i see where this implementation would be beneficial. hopefully apple will add this to the notification center

7. SR71 macrumors 68000

8. shandyman Suspended

Yes you can, in settings under notifications. You can choose in order received or manual order and then you move all apps to the order you like

9. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

On my iPad 2 I "peek" at notifications all the time.

10. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

still, order != placement ;)

11. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

So, anybody did this?

12. shandyman Suspended

i don't get what you're trying to say

13. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

Gotta throw my two cents in:

In iOS 5, you can pull the notification center down partially to peak at your notifications but widgets (Weather and Stocks) will not load unless you complete the gesture.

One of the reasons widgets don't load until you complete the gesture is because they update every time you view the "full" notifications center and peaking into the notifications center would cause them to update every single time, putting strain on your battery life and data usage.

I don't understand where you are getting the idea that nothing shows up unless you pull the menu down all of the way... I do it all of the time.

14. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I don't get the logic behind this, if you are peeking that means you are interested and requesting information. What difference does it make whether you just peek or pull it down fully?

15. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

In my situation, I peek into the notifications center to check for notifications and only release it if I want to check the weather (because it is at the top of my list) or if I want to make an action on on one of the notifications.

I don't know if it's just because I've been trained to do that from using it or if it is just a natural habit. But, I have not had a single problem (or thought) with the fact that the widgets load only after the notification center is pulled down fully (both then and now); I think you may be making a mountain out of an ant hill.

Or maybe I'm just weird.

16. helloimD4NNY macrumors regular

He just said, bro. If the widgets were to update every time you "peeked" then the widgets would have to update every 5 or 10 minutes. That would severely cut down on your battery life. Then you would probably complain that the battery life on the iPhone sucks.

17. Alaerian, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Have we become so lazy that a swipe down and back up is too much work? I mean, this just seems rather nitpicky and silly to me.

18. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

even if you set weather to be last, unless you have a lot of other notifications, weather will still appear towards the top. It is only placed on the bottom (and thus, able to be peeked at) if there are enough other notifications to push weather all the way down

19. celticpride678

I'll report it to them right now.

20. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Thank You, Sir!

21. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

This is part of the reason that Apple people have a bad rap. You guys will find the silliest inconsequential stuff to bitch about. :rolleyes:

22. Fliesen, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

thanks, that's what i was trying to say, exactly, thank you :)

people were complaining the original notifications were too obtrusive, because they covered the _middle_ of the screen
    now we have a notification panel where, should we have 2 notifications or a widget that we want to check quickly, we have to cover the _entire screen_ with an _empty black canvas_.

Of course the new notifications are far superior than the old ones. But downplaying this to some kind of non-issue is equally ridiculous, as it would be easily fixable and pretty much renders the widgets on the panel slightly less useful.

23. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Order is not equal to placement.

!= means "not equal," at least in objective-c... haha

24. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

You keep talking about things being "quick" ...

... swiping down and then swiping back up takes a REALLY long time, amirite?

These are two completely seperate things. People complained about the notifications because they were jarring and obtrusive. Last I checked, the notification center is on-demand - it's doesn't jump out at you in the middle of Angry Birds shouting "SURPRISE NOTIFICATION!" and throwing confetti.

25. Fliesen, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

it's not (only) about the 'incredibly long time', but also about the fact that it's ugly, in a very inefficient way.

[​IMG]

i find this ugly.

would you not mind if folders instead of only 'sliding open' as much as actually is required, would cover the entire screen, regardless of actual content?
    calling it 'nitpicky', saying 'it doesn't take that long to open and close a folder'?

[​IMG]

but we get it, you don't care, that's fine with me. I didn't care about the size of the snooze button, but i wouldn't run around trolling, calling people 'nitpicky' who want their OS to be even more visually appealing and functional (android implements this 'peeking into the notification center' perfectly, it's really easy to implement)
    so, thank you for your input, we get it, you don't care. we do