Pegasus2 R4 drives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by agtoau, Jan 13, 2014.

1. agtoau macrumors member

I plan to buy the 8TB (4 x 2TB) solution - Pegasus2 R4. At a future date, if I want to replace these drives with four 3TB or 4TB drives, would Pegasus2 allow that?

2. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock

Yes, there is a drive compatibility chart listed in the download section of the Promise website for the Pegasus2.

3. shaunp macrumors 65816

As the other poster has said, check the compatibility matrix on the support website. One thing I will add to this however is the drive caddies support 2.5" devices too - it might be feasible in a couple of years to replace the HDD's with SSD's. Samsung have released 1TB SSD's and they aren't stupidly expensive, I got some for around £400 each. I've not put them into the Pegasus, I have a different need for them and need the Pegasus for capacity. When 2TB SSD's are available though I'd be v tempted to swap out the Toshiba HDD's.

I guess it all depends on whether you need capacity or performance, but there are plenty of options with this array.

4. bcuzawd macrumors member

bcuzawd

Do we know what drives come with the Pegasus2 R4's? Are they WD Red, Blue, Black, Enterprise, etc...?

Reason for "ask" is I may buy the empty 4-bay ($700) and put my own drives in for cheaper.

5. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Attached Files:

6. agtoau thread starter macrumors member

7. cyberock macrumors newbie

8. bcuzawd macrumors member

bcuzawd

I don't see "Barracuda" or Seagate anywhere in the linked article/video.

If it is the case though...one could purchase four 3TB drives for ~$500 essentially giving you 12TB for ~$1200 versus ~$1700 for 8TB.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=HD-ST3TAS3

Promise does suggest using Barracuda's.

Attached Files:

9. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Ummm, look at the screen cap that I posted from 2:17 into the video....

Attached Files:

10. spaz8, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014

spaz8 macrumors 6502

I keep hearing about them coming with Toshiba's also.. but the picture attached is clearly a 3TB Seagate barracuda.

I hope Promise does a significant update to the Promise 2 hard drive compatibility list. The initial/current one is .. a short list.. nearly no enterprise drives.. no 128 MB cache models.. and a bunch on the list are EOL'd so hard to impossible to get. Its an outdated list.

11. dysert macrumors regular

Mine has Toshiba drives

See screen shot.

Attached Files:

12. bcuzawd macrumors member

bcuzawd

13. Rad, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014

Rad macrumors regular

Western Digital RE 4 TB (Not RED)

I have my Pegasus2 R4 populated with four new Western Digital RE 4 TB Enterprise Hard Drives which are designed for servers and RAIDs. These are RE not RED. They are similar to the consumer desktop Black series with 7200 RPM, SATA III, 64 MB Cache - WD4000FYYZ. I split the drives into a RAID 1 for two drives and JBOD for the other two. Works great without any problem. Not on the Promise list, but the specs for these drives exceed most of the drives on the list.

Attached Files:

14. bcuzawd macrumors member

bcuzawd

Those are the type I would expect to come with such an expensive array. A bit too much $$ for my wallet unfortunately. :( I'll have to hit the less reliable ones and hope for no catastrophic failures.

Appreciate the info Rad.

15. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock

The Promise Pegasus2 R4 comes with four 2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2 drives.

Attached Files:

16. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock

The video shows the Promise Pegasus2 R8 not the R4.

17. cyberock macrumors newbie

I ordered a diskless R4 which is suppose to arrive tomorrow. I am going to try to put in 4TB WD Blacks. Read somewhere that people have had no problems with the blacks so I will soon find out myself.

18. krell100 macrumors member

I'd be interested to know if those Black's work. Was pretty much resigned to 4x 3Tb Barracuda's in the R4…

19. mikepj macrumors regular

Just got a diskless R4 today and put 4 3TB Barracudas in it. Took about 8:15 to do the initial RAID 5 sync. Works great so far.

20. spaz8 macrumors 6502

Can people post their Read/Write performance with their R4's with the Toshiba, Barracuda and WD RE.. drives :) ? Strip block size, and if its a Pegasus 2 or Pegasus 1 R4.. and whats its hooked up to.. nMP? oMP? MBP? imac?

I personally want to put the seagate ES.3 ST2000NM0033 enterprise drives in my diskless P2 R4 which is supposed to arrive today. Its not on the list.. I keep waiting for an update to that awful compatibility list.

21. gibkibonzo macrumors member

Hi,

Can you please post your read/write speeds in RAID5? Also, are you on nMP or a TB1 machine?

Thx

22. mikepj macrumors regular

I didn't run much more than BlackMagic on it, and even that was bouncing around a bit depending on the run. In general though, I was getting 500-550MB/sec writes and 450-475MB/sec reads. This was with a RAID 5 configuration using a 128KB stripe size and 512B sector size.

I have it plugged in to my 2011 MacBook Air right now. Still waiting for the nMP to arrive. I'm curious if there will be a speed difference between the two.

23. dysert macrumors regular

nMp Pegasus2 R4 Raid 5 results

5G size

Attached Files:

24. cyberock macrumors newbie

The 4tb blacks work without any hassle. Had it up and running in minutes.

25. bcuzawd macrumors member

bcuzawd

That's what I was hoping to see!!! :D

I'm wondering if it would be even faster in Raid0 or on a R6 or R8 with Raid5?