Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

140418-cdma_iphone_4.jpg

DigiTimes reports that Taiwanese manufacturer Pegatron has recently bumped its production plans for the CDMA iPhone to 12-15 million units for 2011, up from earlier plans for 10 million units.
Taiwan-based notebook maker Pegatron Technology has recently started shipping its Apple CDMA iPhones orders with total volume is estimated to be around 12-15 million units in 2011, helping to cover the company's notebook manufacturing business, which has recently suffered loss of orders, according to sources from upstream component makers.
As we noted last week, the CDMA iPhone is expected to quickly make its way to a number of countries around the world, despite Verizon in the United States being the only CDMA carrier so far to announce availability. Reports on CDMA iPhone production have indicated that Pegatron is shipping units for international markets, while Foxconn is handling CDMA iPhone production for the United States.

A pair of reports last October had indicated that Foxconn and Pegatron would be splitting the CDMA iPhone 4 manufacturing load roughly equally, with Foxconn at the time planning for 15 million units in 2011 while Pegatron targeted 10 million units of its own. With Pegatron having raised its target in recent weeks, total CDMA iPhone production for 2011 is now pegged at up to 30 million.

Apple is widely expected to introduce a fifth-generation iPhone around the middle of this year, with most observers assuming that it will be available in both GSM and CDMA versions. Consequently, manufacturers' plans are likely accounting for production of both iPhone 4 and the unreleased "iPhone 5".

Article Link: Pegatron Raises 2011 CDMA iPhone Production Plans to 12-15 Million Units

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow, I wonder if they'll be able to handle the demand?

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
I'm biting my tung and waiting out for the CDMA/ world phone iPhone 5.. Get on a 1 year contract routine and upgrade yearly.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Unless CDMA iPhone-5 is coming out in another 12 months, I doubt Apple can sell 15 million CDMA iPhones in the US alone.

tonyunreal

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
Damn I didn't know there were this many potential iPhone users in Asia...

(Assuming half of those 30mil were for Asian market right? There was a prediction that Verizon could sell 9-12 million iPhones in 2011, so the rest must be for Asian CDMA carriers.)

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thirty million seems quiet optimistic. Are the thirty million iPhones specifically for Verizon? It doesn't mention anything About carriers.

Nvm, FoxConn is making the fifteen or so million iPhones for the U.S. market. Now that seems like a rather low number. That's about 15% of Verizon customers, right?

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
I sticking with AT&T since the Verizon iPhone will be missing features that the original iPhone his, I will be waiting for the iPhone 5 with the fix antenna issue.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Why "iPhone 5"?

Personally, I could easily see Apple going with an iPhone 3G -> iPhone 3GS like route. Just add a character on to the end.

Specifically, say, a 'G'...

I would predict that the primary feature of the upcoming iPhone is 4G service; and as such, "iPhone 4G" seems a fitting and appropriate name.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Personally, I could easily see Apple going with an iPhone 3G -> iPhone 3GS like route. Just add a character on to the end.

I would predict that the primary feature of the upcoming iPhone is 4G service; and as such, "iPhone 4G" seems a fitting and appropriate name.

Your prediction goes against almost every rumor regarding 4G.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Anonymous Freak said:

Apple wouldn't release that. It'd be forced to revert to 3G, EDGE and GPRS in 99.9% of the United States.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Bad timing. Why release a CDMA iPhone 4 a few months before iPhone 5? Perhaps the secret is in the hardware? It has already be noted that the Verizon phone addresses antenna issues and juggles position of buttons. Perhaps it really is the iPhone 5 just waiting for a software update.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
No, no. He was the spelling police. I'm the grammar police. And you missed a comma after "thanks."

I'll comma when I want to. Now do either of you have anything useful to add to this discussion, or shall we continue to derail it?

Aatos.1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
I sticking with AT&T since the Verizon iPhone will be missing features that the original iPhone his, I will be waiting for the iPhone 5 with the fix antenna issue.
Don't forget the smooth convincing spin Apple puts on this issue. Then take their massive ego into consideration, and the same crappy antenna may be continued.

Never assume Apple has the best interests of their customers in mind. Nothing, but nothing means more to them than profits. That's why they spend so much time programming more lemmings.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
This doesn't make any sense at all.

Yes it does. Forget about those dropping AT&T to go to Verizon for the coverage. The big migration is going to be all these current Verizon users sick and tired of their bug filled Andriod phones. That is where most of those CDMA iPhones are going to end up, former Andriod users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.