Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Personally, I'd like to see AT&T take a big fat hit with a loss of customers over time.

I can see their customers moving away from them as soon as their contracts expire. That would mean there might be a big exodus in February, but I think the more alarming trend will be the monthly defections.

I'll even bet that Apple opens up the US market to TMobile for the iPhone 5. I mean, why not? The phone will work on their network, and nobody is going to have an exclusive market. I'd think Apple would want to do this, if only to stay more competitive with the android market...

That means that AT&T and all their empty promises will get exposed for not meeting the minimum bar to provide a simple commodity service as well as their competitors.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

louden said:
I'll even bet that Apple opens up the US market to TMobile for the iPhone 5. I mean, why not? The phone will work on their network, and nobody is going to have an exclusive market. I'd think Apple would want to do this, if only to stay more competitive with the android market...

The iPhone won't necessarily work on T-Mobile. It wouldn't be very difficult for Apple to make an iPhone compatible with T-Mobiles 1700/2100MHz 3G network but it'd be a nuisance. Imagine three iPhone models for the U.S. Market compared to Europes one! Of course, Apple could possibly, maybe, probably not develop an iPhone compatible with all three networks. As of now, the prospects for our own officially unlocked iPhone are dismal at best.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
Okay, thanks grammar police.

I said to study spelling. Not grammar. Although now it's obvious both would help. People generally don't get respect for not knowing that stuff unless you're still a kid learning spelling and grammar. Although, if you're a kid, you still do not get respect if you tell people you don't care.

Last edited:

StoneyG

macrumors regular
Sam*one oh six eight five*, while you indeed make a salient point, you should probably calm the ["adolescent expletive"] down. (I hope that you're aware that there's no such thing as a "swear word".). I for one frown upon anti-intellectualism, ignorance and sometimes even apathy. In my most humblest of opinions, though, I must say that it is you who's functioning on a rather dim state. It's not as if "alectheking" was being negative any sort of way, or somehow otherwise detracting from your existence. No need for the berating.

You've suggested (and safely assumed I suppose) that you're older than the other dude. I don't quite see how you're setting a good example here. I doubt he meant to be nearly as crass as you made him out to be in your perfectly logical - but emotionally unintelligent - rhetoric.

At any rate, this CDMA business is beginning to make
me seriously question whether or not we'll see the standard iPhone release cycle carry on this year as ever.

-Sent from your mom's iPhone.

Last edited:

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I can't read the name of this company without doing it in Optimus Prime's voice...

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
Still not enough

If this model of iPhone meets the Chinese government's standards, then 15 million units is still not nearly enough to keep up with demand from just that one country. We're talking about a billion people here. Billion with a 'b'. Sure, a lot of that population live is poorer rural areas, but probably 100 million fit the economic class that could afford one. That's like a new Japanese market suddenly available, which is a monstrous new opportunity. A CDMA iPhone is all about markets in East Asia. I bet that the Verison market is much smaller an opportunity in comparison.

CDMA iPhone = another huge cash cow for Apple, courtesy of the Orient.

zerostar

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
I highly doubt the current iPhone will be a hit over in Japan/China. Why would they want a device that can't do what some of their pay-go phones can. I have seen so many Japanese tuning into TV stations on the train, or paying for purchases with their phones... I so lusted for those capabilities back home.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
I highly doubt the current iPhone will be a hit over in Japan/China. Why would they want a device that can't do what some of their pay-go phones can. I have seen so many Japanese tuning into TV stations on the train, or paying for purchases with their phones... I so lusted for those capabilities back home.

And yet the iPhone is a hit in Japan nonetheless.

Your argument was common before the iPhone went on sale in Japan. Now people don't make that argument anymore.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
I see this raising the possibility of three scenarios, in order of likelihood:

1) Accelerated release of the CDMA iPhone to other CDMA markets. Depending on what the demand expectation is for the iPhone 5, the release to international markets might be slower than preferred, requiring a longer lead time before the iPhone 5 release is global.

2) No merged "world phone" until iPhone 6. iPhone 5 will still be segmented between GSM and CDMA.

3) The CDMA iPhone 5 does not arrive simultaneously with the GSM iPhone 5 but carriers will still reduce the price of the iPhone 4 to $99 to remain competitive.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Your prediction goes against almost every rumor regarding 4G.

What about AT&T advertising 4G/HSPA+ right now? As in it will be available soon. It might not be LTE, but it sounds like they are calling it 4G. A similar 4G model could support Verizon LTE and CDMA in February next year.

rbgaynor

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
Southern California
Don't forget the smooth convincing spin Apple puts on this issue. Then take their massive ego into consideration, and the same crappy antenna may be continued.

Never assume Apple has the best interests of their customers in mind. Nothing, but nothing means more to them than profits. That's why they spend so much time programming more lemmings.

They're a public corporation, of course their interests are in keeping the shareholders happy. That said, having happy, loyal customers is one way to build a profitable business. Being profitable and having your customers interests in mind are not mutually exclusive (many would argue they are in fact co-dependent).

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
I started rethinking the whole matter. In the US, there are 17 other mobile providers besides the big 2. What is keeping the iPhone off of those networks? Those other networks have 124M subscribers. Fairly large pool of potential customers. Sofar, I haven't heard that VZ is the exclusive CDMA carrier of the iPhone 4. Small subscriber pools, subsidy and contract % are probably the biggest sticking points. But with some of these providers having larger subscriber bases than some countries have populations...it may not be a stretch that Apple may have its sights of expanding the customer portfolio. And if we think on a global perspective, CDMA carriers outside of the NorthAmerica have 300M+ subscribers.

And for twenty points, can anyone name 5 of US mobile carriers without using Wikipedia? ATT, VZ, Sprint and T-Mobile are excluded.:D

kdarling

macrumors P6
And yet the iPhone is a hit in Japan nonetheless.

Only after it was given away for free with a contract. For almost a year before that, it barely sold.

I started rethinking the whole matter. In the US, there are 17 other mobile providers besides the big 2. What is keeping the iPhone off of those networks? Those other networks have 124M subscribers. Fairly large pool of potential customers. Sofar, I haven't heard that VZ is the exclusive CDMA carrier of the iPhone 4. (snip)

Good point. And indeed, the RCA (Rural Cellular Association) brought up Verizon's promise to let them have CDMA phones six months after any exclusive.

Unfortunately for the RCA, Verizon doesn't have an exclusive on the CDMA phone.

So Verizon can't help the smaller carriers get the iPhone. Only Apple can. It'll be interesting to see how far Apple goes with its new distribution. Rural? Sprint? Let's hope.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
How do you think this will effect AT&T's pricing? Will greater competition force it's competitor's prices down?

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
How do you think this will effect AT&T's pricing? Will greater competition force it's competitor's prices down?

Doubt it. Nothing really gets resolved by firms lowering prices, because the other will just match it. They're smart enough to know that lowering prices will just result in lower revenue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.