Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

pegatron_logo_small-250x145.jpg
Apple supply partner Pegatron has won a contract that will see it produce 25 million of the estimated 50 million 4.7-inch iPhone 6 units to be shipped this year, reports DigiTimes. It was reported in January that the company would be awarded 50% of the orders, however a report in May pegged that number at 15%.

The report also notes that the rest of the orders for the iPhone 6 are expected to go to Foxconn, who has helped produce iPhone 5s and other Apple devices. Pegatron's relationship with Apple is said to also have grown tighter recently, as the supplier has managed assembly for the iPad mini and the iPhone 5c throughout the past year. It is currently unknown which supplier will take care of orders for the 5.5-inch iPhone 6, although the larger device could see constrained supply this year due to production challenges.

Apple will publicly unveil the iPhone 6 for the first time at an event on September 9, with a launch for the 4.7-inch version likely coming a week later as with prior years. In addition to a larger display, the phone is expected to feature a thinner, curved bezel and incorporate a faster A8 chip, an advanced camera, and iOS 8.

Article Link: Pegatron Reportedly Lands 50% of 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Orders for This Year

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
50 millions might not even satisfy the demand. I know tons of people who are still on the iPhone 4/4S/5 waiting for a bigger iPhone to upgrade to. Not to mention the millions currently using 5S who want an early upgrade and people jumping ship from Android.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Only for the 4.7 inch iPhone ? No 5.5 inch ?
Or maybe the 5.5 inch would be made in the us like the Mac Pro.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Please help me with this if you can.
I am the only one among my friends that has Apple products. When i'm asked why Apple are better and not a junk i don't know what to replay to them objectively (i just tell them that they require my needs and that it) they told me, that other products cheaper and better can do that

Forgot to tell that they never used an iOS or OSX.
They tell me a lot that iphone is not a smartphone

They tell me a lot that i am a fool and Apple is just a profit company

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Please help me with this if you can.
I am the only one among my friends that has Apple products. When i'm asked why Apple are better and not a junk i don't know what to replay to them objectively (i just tell them that they require my needs and that it) they told me, that other products cheaper and better can do that

1) Ecosystem is outstanding.
2) Design is second-to-none.
3) iOS is the best OP out there.

That's my top 3, tell them that and it will shut them up.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
1) Ecosystem is outstanding.
2) Design is second-to-none.
3) iOS is the best OP out there.

That's my top 3, tell them that and it will shut them up.

iOS is limited and android is not...this is the only statement that they tell me...
I think Apple has the better customer service as well in my opinion

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
50 millions might not even satisfy the demand. I know tons of people who are still on the iPhone 4/4S/5 waiting for a bigger iPhone to upgrade to. Not to mention the millions currently using 5S who want an early upgrade and people jumping ship from Android.

+1, 100% agreed. Hardware wise, really the only noticeable thing the iPhone is missing compared to its competitors would be a bigger screen (arguably slightly better battery life too).

But that's pretty much it. When the larger screen comes out it's going to sell like nothing else -- perhaps even break 80 million per quarter. I personally know a few people who are either waiting for the larger screen to upgrade from an earlier iPhone, or jump ship from Android.

HatchSZ

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
Has anyone noticed any quality differences between manufacturers when Apple has used two different manufacturers for the same product?

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
iOS is limited and android is not...this is the only statement that they tell me...

Android is crappy as hell. If they don't believe it, they probably don't have used an iPhone before.
And yes, Apple has the best customer support out there.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
I'm a little concerned about maintaining constant quality between these two. I remember finding minor scratches on my previous black iPhone 5 as soon as I opened the box and that really annoyed me.

I hope all iPhones will be made perfectly, unlike for example the LG vs. Samsung panels that are used within the rMBP as the latter is superior.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Security, stability, unimpeded customisation. You can never have all of them.

When Android users talk about 'limited' and 'customisation', all I really see them do is install stupid widgets, pirate/hack games, and change icons. And yet they have the audacity to say that iOS users are stupid and non tech savvy. :rolleyes:

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK

A secure, consistent OS experience that isn't fragmented from device to device. Excellent hardware and after sales service.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Only for the 4.7 inch iPhone ? No 5.5 inch ?
Or maybe the 5.5 inch would be made in the us like the Mac Pro.

The lack of leaked 5.5" iPhone 6 parts (different supply chain?) as well as reports that there is some differentiation in specs (sapphire glass, optical image stabilization) makes me wonder if it is going to be manufactured in the united states.

In the SJ biography, Jobs lamented the lack of a technically skilled workforce in America though. But if Apple made the 5.5" iPhone 6 more expensive and thus figured on selling fewer of them and took the extra time needed to train engineers and factory workers, then this is plausible.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Android is crappy as hell. If they don't believe it, they probably don't have used an iPhone before.

Yes, but you also can never convince them….. unless they have been given an opportunity to try out or play with the iPhone (or other Apple products).

Sadly this is the case in many areas that do not have access to a nearby Apple Retail Store. This is also the case in many countries where they have zero Apple Stores. Hence the few "Apple fans" in those countries are considered weird, considered fringe people who dabble in Apple devices when the rest of their countrymen use Androids/Windows. Clearly they are an outnumbered bunch, and all their friends will criticize them for using Apple devices which is "not normal" in the society.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
The lack of leaked 5.5" iPhone 6 parts (different supply chain?) as well as reports that there is some differentiation in specs (sapphire glass, optical image stabilization) makes me wonder if it is going to be manufactured in the united states.

In the SJ biography, Jobs lamented the lack of a technically skilled workforce in America though. But if Apple made the 5.5" iPhone 6 more expensive and thus figured on selling fewer of them and took the extra time needed to train engineers and factory workers, then this is plausible.

I think that the lack of 5.5" parts means nothing. We have seen very little about the new iPads or the iWatch but we know they are coming

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i owe a friend my iPhone 5 if they do come out with an iPhone 5.5 at the same time as the 4.7. i highly doubt it so i feel save lol.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Wonder if there will be any quality differences between Foxconn and Pegatron, once out. You know everyone will want to know "what build" you have if there are problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.