Pellican Case 1090cc, any users here? EDIT: now i have one and have posted comments

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nippyjun, Dec 14, 2008.

1. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I've sifted through all of the case threads trying to decide what case to get for my new macbook pro. I decided that i need a hard case, not a sleeve or soft bag.

There were some brief mentions of pelican brand cases. I did some research and found that they have a new model the Pelican 1090cc case.

Does anyone here use that case or a similar one. If yes, can you share your thoughts and experiences with it.

Thanks.

Here is a link to the case:

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1090CC

SEE POST #7 for my review. I got the case yesterday

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I use a large one for all my camera and video equipment. It's build quality is really good and may I add, damn strong! Even floats in water!

3. Horst Guest

If the size is fine by you, you can't go wrong with Pelican products, they are rock solid.

4. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

One aspect I'm interested in how much pressure the laptop gets on it from the foam when the case is closed.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Not Much.

Well, not much I can tell, if at all. If you do the foam right it won't move around which would be 100 perfect-the egg crate foam at the top is alot more forgiving and looks like it provides protection via compression if needed. The pluck n' peal at the bottom relatively stiff throughout, but it looks like the construction of this case differs from mine.

I have the 1490 so my results will vary from yours.

6. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

The 1090cc doesnt' have the pluck n peal but the 1090 does. The 1090cc seems to be from the description better but i'm not sure. I'm going to try to see one tomorrow or tuesday at a local distributor that i just found.

7. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

MY REVIEW:

I purchased the case (the 1090cc) yesterday from a local Pelican distributor. Paid $91 plus tax. You can get it a little cheaper online but i wanted to see it in person and wanted to get it right away if i liked it.

The case itself is great. Very sturdy. Looks good if that matters. Strong latch. Comes with a carrying strap which is a nice feature.

My new unibody 15.4 inch macbook pro fits perfectly inside. There is more wiggle room front to back. Side to side space is tighter. To get the laptop out you pick it up from the front and back edges not the side ones.

It comes with a set of memory foam circles to custom fit to your laptop. It came with 4 thick ones and 4 thin ones. They have a sticky side that sticks to the liner of the case. Even with the 4 thick ones placed on the bottom of the case the laptop moves around because it's so thin. I wound up purchasing a sheet of 1/2 inch thick foam to put on the top of the laptop to keep it secure and that does a good job.

Today i decided to look at the pelican website again and saw that the 1090 (not the 1090cc which i got) comes with top and bottom thick foam (egg crate foam on top and pick and pluck foam on the bottom). I think that would have been better to secure the laptop possible. I called pelican today and they have a 1091 foam kit that is all the foam from the 1090 case. I figured i'd see if the foam kit is any better than the foam sheet/memory foam spacer combo that i am using now.

The 1090cc case has a think soft liner on the top and bottom of the case. If you use the 1091 foam kit the liner wouldn't matter i believe.

I paid $26 shipped for the 1091 foam kit. I may not use it but i wanted to have both options.

I don't think you can get a stronger case that is as light as this one. I saw a metal briefcase at staples that was heavier and probably was a little too small to hold the laptop.

If anyone has any questions just post to this thread and i'll be happy to try to answer them.

8. majidf macrumors member

9. Roadking macrumors 6502

10. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

11. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

Here are some photos. I didn't attach the strap yet. Also i don't have the alternate foam kit to try out. Also, i'm currently using a 1/2 inch thick piece of foam that covers the laptop to keep it from moving at all.

Attached Files:

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Thanks for the imgs but it doesn't look like my cup of tea. It would be great if there was another way I could stick another battery somewhere inside, or atleast the power adapter.

13. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

What do you do that requires that much protection?

I commute daily and am not worried beyond my timbuk2 case.

14. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

Nice :D, Pelican Cases are really awesome, we have all our test equipment at work in Pelican cases for travel. For me it's a little to much for daily use, due to its heft.

15. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

2 Little kids that like to throw things around

16. bellicose macrumors newbie

Would putting the four thin pieces of foam in the corners of the case lid add any stability?

17. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

No, they are too thin. The 1/2 inch foam piece that i purchased covers the entire top of the laptop and keeps it very secure.

I received the 1090 foam kit today. It actually doens't work well with the macbook pro. I prefer the 4 memory foam pieces on the bottom and the 1/2 sheet of foam on top.

18. whistlertoa macrumors newbie

thanks for the post

Thanks for the pictures I have been in the market for the same kind of product for my new MBP. It was really helpful to get your info and pictures. Cheers

19. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

Very nice and 01 bucks isn't bad at all for such a great product

20. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

Sure thing, just make sure you get some extra foam to keep it in tight.

I actually called Pelican to see if i can get extra memory foam sticky cushions. they said they would send some out to me. I want to see if putting 4 large ones up top in addition to the 4 i already have on the bottom do the trick instead of using the 1/2 thick foam sheet.

21. bellicose macrumors newbie

22. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

I actually didn't try them yet. I just received them yesterday but haven't had a chance to put them in.

23. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, i finally had some time to play around with the different foam configurations. Using 4 big ones up top and 4 big ones on the bottom works very well. They should include 8 bigs and 8 small ones with the case. But they send me the extra set for free so if you need them just call them and hopefully they will take care of you....

24. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'd also like one for my MacPro!!
    But searching online it's a bit pricy. :(

25. scriptures4life macrumors newbie

Thanks nippyjun!

THANKS nippyjun!!!!!!!!!! I bought my case and found the same thing with the foamy pieces. I just called Pelican and they were happy to mail me out another sixpack or so of foam pieces free. Awesome review - you were what convinced me to buy it. Thanks again!

Other users - it's definitely a good product. Only thing I can say is I think I need some double-sided tape to hold the foam/plastic molded liner to the aluminum - it falls out sometimes so you just have to pop it back in before you close the case. (There's no adhesive holding it on; it seems to normally stay in place just from the vacuum/pressure differential between the liner and the aluminum sections. I'm not sure why they did it that way but I figure they probably had a reason.)

Danny