Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 603
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
First off - I bought the Peloton Tread +. While many of you are loosing your minds over the removal of gym kit - how bout there’s ZERO integration with Tread. As a executive in the media industry - I’m more in the realm of “take this brick back” bc of the lack of Apple integration. In fact they are idiots. I can’t stop thinking about what could be versus what this closed ecosystem they have is a utter failure. Yea I’m PISSED that my watch won’t connect, my AirPods can’t connect, my workouts aren’t connected to my health app, etc. What’s LAME is how great this equipment could be WITH integration NOT without it. And yeah I’m so angry by the lack of integration that i want to return it. I don’t want to be chained to Pelotons third rate overpriced and under delivered experience. The real fact that o can’t even use Apple Music or Spotify through it for just MY OWN walk or run is lunacy.

AirPods don't connect? Wow. They used to. Sounds like they went overboard on something.

Although I did find that I often had to reload their software after an update as Bluetooth sometimes dropped speakers and earbuds after an update. *shrug*

Comment

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2002
Makes sense for Peloton to make their own Watch and build their own eco system.
I actually like this take. Companies/folks in general seem to have given up and have accepted the idea that the Apple ecosystem is the only game in town. Even the folks that troll Apple are doing so in a way that infers that “Apple’s obviously the best, so our ONLY hope is to change Apple to be the way we want (rather than focus on another vendor to rise to the occasion)”. No one knows where this decision will leave Peloton in the future BUT at least they’re trying. Maybe their plans go beyond where Apple’s interested OR they feel they can iterate and improve on fitness hardware faster than Apple or their other competitors can OR they want to do what some car vendors, and Nintendo, have tried and have connections be a part of a subscription. If so, the coming years will make it clear one way or the other.

This could be the start of the days where Peloton’s a giant in the space driving their own hardware/software innovations… or not. It may be challenging, but I applaud them for at least trying.

Reactions: Aeronauts
Comment

kingtj1971

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
How fresh is that air when it's raining? Or snowing? Or 100+ degrees?
I know it's pointless to argue why a successful product "shouldn't be successful". I mean, Peloton clearly carved out a huge market for itself and that's that.

All I can really say is, I'm pretty solidly in the "anti fitness industry" crowd. It seems like it's a multi billion dollar industry focused on thinning out people's wallets and bank accounts, using guilt or vanity as the drivers.

If you're part of the small minority who truly stick to a strict exercise regimen because you're in professional sports, then you can ignore my rant. You're not who I'm talking about here. You earn a living doing what you do and it makes sense to invest in whatever tools/equipment/professional services help you do that.

I'm just tired of all the scam gym memberships out there, that people like my own daughter fell for, where they screwed her over for hundreds of dollars to get out of it after she moved to a new town and they had no gym reasonably close for her to use anymore. I'm tired of all the whack-jobs trying to convince people to pay for bottles of useless stuff like seaweed in capsules, with impossible to verify claims of all the benefits. I'm tired of seeing exercise equipment like treadmills, rowing machines and elliptical trainers selling for many hundreds to multiple thousands of dollars each, only to have resale value of maybe $40 with months of relentless advertising to find a buyer. I'm tired of all the fad diets that have NEVER been practical for more than temporary yo-yo weight loss. And ultimately, the science itself proves that using a whole hour of your life every day to do these "workouts" for the purpose of "weight loss" is incredibly inefficient. You just can't burn THAT many calories per hour, vs how easily you can ingest more of them. The only thing that really works is learning to eat in moderation with some kind of sense of portion control, and watching when you eat (not right before bedtime, etc.).

All these Apple attempts to create more workout/gym friendly interfaces and software are kind of a gimmick too -- but at least don't really cost you extra over what you pay to own their devices in the first place.

Reactions: Aeronauts
Comment

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 603
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I actually like this take. Companies/folks in general seem to have given up and have accepted the idea that the Apple ecosystem is the only game in town. Even the folks that troll Apple are doing so in a way that infers that “Apple’s obviously the best, so our ONLY hope is to change Apple to be the way we want (rather than focus on another vendor to rise to the occasion)”. No one knows where this decision will leave Peloton in the future BUT at least they’re trying. Maybe their plans go beyond where Apple’s interested OR they feel they can iterate and improve on fitness hardware faster than Apple or their other competitors can OR they want to do what some car vendors, and Nintendo, have tried and have connections be a part of a subscription. If so, the coming years will make it clear one way or the other.

This could be the start of the days where Peloton’s a giant in the space driving their own hardware/software innovations… or not. It may be challenging, but I applaud them for at least trying.

I went from the Peloton to a bike on a smart trainer. The data is easily recorded on many different devices, and uploaded to many different data analysis and near social media web sites. The draw away from the Peloton was also because the rides can be set to automatically increase and decrease the intensity/difficulty, which the Peloton just started doing on the 'Bike +', for some rides. I loved riding the Peloton, but just got bored with the seemingly 'low tech' ride system when compared to a smart trainer. *shrug* I still occasionally ride it. I'm 15 short of 1,000 rides. It woke me up to riding, that I wasn't aware I could still do. It's great. Expensive, but when I compare the cost per class with the local spin studio, I'm saving money as I rode there on average, every week, at least once.

I don't know what Peloton is doing, but I think if they think they can come up with their own gizmos to work 'just like Apple, etc', they will lose even more clients and end up like so many fitness companies that fell on their faces. The trainer market allows for free and easy interchange of data. I don't need to use a Trek computer, and a Specialized computer. I use a 'computer'. The data is drawn in by, potentially multiple devices. The drive is 'get out and ride', not 'keep our customers tied to our stuff'. The fitness industry needs to GTHU!

Reactions: Unregistered 4U
Comment

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 603
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I know it's pointless to argue why a successful product "shouldn't be successful". I mean, Peloton clearly carved out a huge market for itself and that's that.

All I can really say is, I'm pretty solidly in the "anti fitness industry" crowd. It seems like it's a multi billion dollar industry focused on thinning out people's wallets and bank accounts, using guilt or vanity as the drivers.

If you're part of the small minority who truly stick to a strict exercise regimen because you're in professional sports, then you can ignore my rant. You're not who I'm talking about here. You earn a living doing what you do and it makes sense to invest in whatever tools/equipment/professional services help you do that.

I'm just tired of all the scam gym memberships out there, that people like my own daughter fell for, where they screwed her over for hundreds of dollars to get out of it after she moved to a new town and they had no gym reasonably close for her to use anymore. I'm tired of all the whack-jobs trying to convince people to pay for bottles of useless stuff like seaweed in capsules, with impossible to verify claims of all the benefits. I'm tired of seeing exercise equipment like treadmills, rowing machines and elliptical trainers selling for many hundreds to multiple thousands of dollars each, only to have resale value of maybe $40 with months of relentless advertising to find a buyer. I'm tired of all the fad diets that have NEVER been practical for more than temporary yo-yo weight loss. And ultimately, the science itself proves that using a whole hour of your life every day to do these "workouts" for the purpose of "weight loss" is incredibly inefficient. You just can't burn THAT many calories per hour, vs how easily you can ingest more of them. The only thing that really works is learning to eat in moderation with some kind of sense of portion control, and watching when you eat (not right before bedtime, etc.).

All these Apple attempts to create more workout/gym friendly interfaces and software are kind of a gimmick too -- but at least don't really cost you extra over what you pay to own their devices in the first place.

I'm actually a lot more in your camp. I cringe at the people that guzzle protein drinks, and all the 'hydration' powders and bars and supplements. I've seen people who exercise a couple of times a week who complain they can't lose weight, and guzzle and pop all that crap, and it's one step forward for exercising, and 10 steps back for the crap they eat/drink/pop.

I had a pretty well stocked gym, at home. ALL of the equipment was bought used. Sometimes third hand. All of it, surprisingly, commercial equipment. I had to get rid of most of it when my knees started giving out. Biking is so much better on the knees than most of the exercise people do. I had a stepper, treadmill, elliptical, and a LeMond spin bike. None of them talked to each other, and none of them would take to a 'computer' to get the data to a place I could track the exercise. The Peloton allowed that, and a bike on a smart trainer does even more.

Yeah, the damned 'fitness industry' needs to get a grip, andd stop beating their customers over the head, and allow them to exercise, and track their fitness without having to buy another doodad that will be useless with other equipment. I love my Peloton, but will not give up my smart trainer. I'd sooner give up the Peloton. I'm not going back... It's MY DATA!!!

Comment

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2017
It looks like the nearest Planet Fitness is about 30 minutes away, compared to a 10 second walk. Also, two of us don't drive, and one is a minor, so the logistics get complicated. Oh, and we kept at it all during Covid lockdown. This is not equal value.
While it was not available at the time you started, Fitness+ is 1/4 of the cost, and you could get a Schwinn IC4 for $900, and a comparable treadmill for around $1,500 (combined around the cost of the Bike+), add a nice 50” screen and an Apple TV and you are still cheaper. (Even adding a Series 6 watch for each of the 4 people you would still come out ahead.)
Even more to the point, the minor (our child) gets to see us work out and have fun doing it. We used to go to the nearest gym (at about $100 a month per person).
Wow. At your $100 gym, did you only use the treadmill and the exercise bike? If so, you picked the wrong gym for your needs. LA Fitness, 24 Hour Fitness, and many other gyms are $25 or so a person. Many have discounts for families. They also offer a lot more gear, facilities like swimming pools and basketball/indoor soccer/floor hockey courts. However, you are correct, they do not serve minors well. One would expect that minors would get PE in school, but that was not a thing during this once in a hundred year occurrence.
The kiddo would see us procrastinate on going to the gym, something mysterious would happen, then we would come back all sweaty. To him, this looks terrible.
Something that could be fixed by having taken him to the gym, the Y, your local park district, or better yet, getting him on a club sports team to encourage interactions with his peers.
Instead, after watching us use the Peloton equipment and have fun, he wanted to do it, too.
Again, taking him to any of the many youth sports programs would do the same and better by encouraging socialization.
He's developed a healthy attitude towards exercise because he's seen us actually laugh out loud while working out. What's the value of that?
I have nothing against Peloton, and while I think it is over priced for what one gets (probably because I am not interested in the life classes, nor the social stuff), like every one of these fitness programs, if they work they are likely to be worth it. However, I will say that nothing you described about the Peloton would not have been true of many much less expensive options that do not require any monthly fee.

Comment

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Apple created Fitness+ bc this is yet another industry that’s totally disrupt-able. Integrate able content for consumption any device that’s integral to active lifestyle is a no brainer. Peloton betting the farm on a closed expanded ecosystem is suicidal. Just what I want to do is remove my Apple Watch and put on another device that isn’t compatible with my Apple gear. Ok.

Exactly. When Apple enters specific markets, Apple is usually not "the first to do it". But they enter and disrupt, because Apple is one that figures out "how to do it better".

As for Peloton, by alienating Apple integration, IMHO they are driving away a huge base of their high-income subscribers (doctors, lawyers, CEOs, Hollywood celebs, Bitcoin hodlers, etc) which can afford to spend thousands of dollars a year on Apple products.

Comment

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2017
Makes sense for Peloton to make their own Watch and build their own eco system.
Maybe. I guess it really depends on how much value they think they can drive to their own watch. If they target it to Android users where there is no dominant smart watch, it might be interesting, but from various comments from their CEO, their users are disproportionately in Apple’s ecosystem. They have four groups they need to consider:
  1. People in their ecosystem that do not have a smart watch.
  2. People in their ecosystem that have an Apple Watch.
  3. People not their ecosystem that do not have a smart watch.
  4. People not in their ecosystem that have an Apple Watch.
For people in their ecosystem, that have an Apple Watch, they need to make their product compelling enough to make customers want to give up the benefits of Apple’s ecosystem, for theirs. Possible, but a tough sell. For people in their ecosystem without a smart watch, they might create a stickier ecosystem. If their smart watch is not compelling, it may have the opposite effect, it might get people to reconsider their commitment to the environment.

For those not in their ecosystem with Apple Watches, having their own watch is potentially a serious negative. It is unlikely that they can offer an ecosystem that is more compelling than the iOS/iPad/Apple Watch one, so that will mean that people have to choose between the two.

The question is how many people in the last group, will see it as a positive vs. neutral or negative? Hard to know, but given the general smart watch market, I am not that encouraged by their chances.

Comment

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2017
Why can't you just pick a non-bike workout on the Peloton using the swivel screen and choose a corresponding workout from the apple watch options (cardio, strength, etc)? It won't show up on your screen but it will tell you on your watch?
You could, it is just less convenient and makes it less well integrated.
I'm not asking this to be a smart@$$, I just don't see the need to continuously monitor my heart rate during a workout.
Peleton is all about their integration. Apple Health/Fitness/Fitness+/Watch are all about the integration and the ecosystem. What you describe is the opposite. The workouts are separate, the data is recorded separately, etc., not a deal breaker, but certainly much less compelling.

Comment

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2017
People ripping the Peloton don't have a clue what it offers.
Nope. Some do not understand it, but many just do not find it motivating, or find other less expensive options equally motivating.
When I started out on the Peloton, I was overweight, and needed an excuse to get busy. I liked a couple of the coaches right off, and was riding every day, sometimes twice a day. Since then, they have introduced a much wider variety of exercise options. They offer a community for support. There are people that have never exercised in their life who have bought into the Peloton and it's changed their life.
First, congrats on making a change and getting healthier. My Basis Band and then later my Apple Watch with its rings, adding Streaks Workout and Daily Yoga, and now Fitness+ have done that for me (I dropped about 100 pounds). Whatever motivates a person is great. I have not missed closing all three of my rings every for over 1900 days (more than 5 years). Some people use a personal trainer for that, some people find that going to the gym is super important as it takes intention, some people use that as an excuse not to work out (the weather is bad, I will go tomorrow).

I will say that for many people, any one of these systems can be motivating, and whichever one they adopt will be effective for them, if they already want to change.
The industry needs to coalesce around an IT solution that allows people to own, and/or use equipment from different vendors to save their telemetry, and allows them to see their improvements over time. I had a LeMond spin bike that had a 'computer', and actually used the ANT+ frequency to send telemetry to their head unit. The data was encrypted, and couldn't be accessed by any other device but theirs. I dumped that bike in favor of the Peloton which shares data with quite a few different web based data pages. A major step up for many.
I switched to the Apple Watch because it recorded all the data in HealthKit, where other apps I use can also record data in a private and secure way. I like the single hub for all my workouts.

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess
Comment

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2017
First off - I bought the Peloton Tread +. While many of you are loosing your minds over the removal of gym kit - how bout there’s ZERO integration with Tread. As a executive in the media industry - I’m more in the realm of “take this brick back” bc of the lack of Apple integration. In fact they are idiots.
I looked at the Peleton a while ago, and decided not to get it because at its price point, I wanted something that would have Apple Watch and HealthKit integration. Bike+ came at the time where I would have considered it, but I had heard rumors of Fitness+ and I wanted to see how well it would work with Bike+. Peleton’ s actions have convinced me not to buy into their ecosystem. I have more than 5 years of data in HealthKit, and I like having it as my hub.
I can’t stop thinking about what could be versus what this closed ecosystem they have is a utter failure.
I like the Wahoo Fitness gear as they are happy to integrate with everyone.
Yea I’m PISSED that my watch won’t connect, my AirPods can’t connect, my workouts aren’t connected to my health app, etc. What’s LAME is how great this equipment could be WITH integration NOT without it. And yeah I’m so angry by the lack of integration that i want to return it. I don’t want to be chained to Pelotons third rate overpriced and under delivered experience. The real fact that I can’t even use Apple Music or Spotify through it for just MY OWN walk or run is lunacy.
This is the risk they take. There are definitely Peleton fans, but there are way more Apple Watch users and even more HealthKit users. Not integrating with GymKit, Apple Watch, HealthKit and Fitness does not make their environment more compelling, it makes it less so.
Apple created Fitness+ bc this is yet another industry that’s totally disrupt-able. Integrate able content for consumption any device that’s integral to active lifestyle is a no brainer. Peloton betting the farm on a closed expanded ecosystem is suicidal. Just what I want to do is remove my Apple Watch and put on another device that isn’t compatible with my Apple gear. Ok.
Fitness+ is only starting out. I expect that we will see a leader board (using the Game Center tech), more workout types, direct control of devices, shared workouts, and many more things over the next year or two. I am less sure they will add live classes, but I think it is certainly possible.

If I can get this with a $900 bike and $10 (or less a month), it is not a hard choice for me.

Comment

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2017
Agree with you here. They have built a 4 million customer community that has been quite effective.
This is true for some parts of the community, but not all of it. Planet Fitness at $10 a month with no contract is pretty simple for a basic gym. Various apps are cheap or free, and even Fitness+ is pretty cheap. There are lots of different motivators, some are healthy and some are not. It is completely dependent on the individuals involved.
They are one group, but not the only one. If people make informed choices and can afford them, it is totally cool. If, as an example, Peleton is the perfect motivator for some people. If it works for them, that is great, as long as they understand their options and can afford it, good for them.
And ultimately, the science itself proves that using a whole hour of your life every day to do these "workouts" for the purpose of "weight loss" is incredibly inefficient.
No question that working out is not a good way of losing weight, but being active is a net benefit (especially if it includes time outdoors).
You just can't burn THAT many calories per hour, vs how easily you can ingest more of them. The only thing that really works is learning to eat in moderation with some kind of sense of portion control, and watching when you eat (not right before bedtime, etc.).
Yup, diet is more important than exercise for weight loss. Being active has its own set of health gains.
Everyone of these things works for those it motivates and does nothing for anyone else. Not everyone is motivated by the same thing. Closing my rings is really important for me (because it is a clear measurable goal), and completely uninteresting to another friend of mine who regularly runs marathons. Everyone is different. I like the Fitness+ workouts. I have some friends who also love them and some that hate them. To each his own.

Reactions: toph2toast
Comment

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
Apple's GymKit is a joke.

I've got a few good fitness apps including Peloton, MyFitnessPal, Strava, but the complexity of the data sharing settings within the Health app for these apps is ridiculous and required to avoid duplicate data.

All because Apple still push this crap.

Comment

MrMoonUK

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
UK
OMG stop saying peloton took something away. They have always said it only works with cycling workouts! Which it still does!

the thing they have removed is bootcamp workouts.

when I bought bike+ Everything I read said gymkit only works with cycling

Comment

cjbryce

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2008
London
That's a lot of money to pay just to have something to hang clothes on while they dry (sarcasm)
You may have thought it was sarcasm, but I present my cross trainer in all its glory...

tempImagemwrcGS.jpg

🤣🤣🤣

In fairness to me, I prefer walking and functional strength training and use Apple Fitness+ especially the functional strength training workouts. My partner uses Fitness+ all the time, so she gets the value for money out of it, I guess Apple One beckons.

Reactions: Solomani
Comment

pauloregan

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2017
If Apple is putting obstacles in the way of Peleton then this is disappointing. It is worrying that any successful company that comes along Apple attempts to squash either through manipulation of 'service limits / api access' or straight out entering their market (tile). It is not good for us the user. Look how for years they limited the Spotify usability on the watch.

How can they look developers in the eye at various gatherings and continue to do this.

Comment

ninethirty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2006
I had to google what Peloton was, and of all the nonsensical overprices scams Americans fall for, this has to be at least in the top five.
This has to be one of the most nonsensical comments I think I've ever seen. It's an extremely well designed exercise bike, with a large screen, plugged directly into live spin classes, or a massive library of on demand classes a person can do to stay/get healthy.

I've had one for years, and its been amazing, especially during COVID. Unlike all the gym memberships I never took advantage of, I ride daily at home, whenever is a convenient time for me, and I've managed to stay quite fit as a result. Blood pressure and pulse are in a much better place than they were before I started, and physically and mentally I feel great.

How is that a scam?

Comment

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 603
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Nope. Some do not understand it, but many just do not find it motivating, or find other less expensive options equally motivating.

First, congrats on making a change and getting healthier. My Basis Band and then later my Apple Watch with its rings, adding Streaks Workout and Daily Yoga, and now Fitness+ have done that for me (I dropped about 100 pounds). Whatever motivates a person is great. I have not missed closing all three of my rings every for over 1900 days (more than 5 years). Some people use a personal trainer for that, some people find that going to the gym is super important as it takes intention, some people use that as an excuse not to work out (the weather is bad, I will go tomorrow).

I will say that for many people, any one of these systems can be motivating, and whichever one they adopt will be effective for them, if they already want to change.

I switched to the Apple Watch because it recorded all the data in HealthKit, where other apps I use can also record data in a private and secure way. I like the single hub for all my workouts.

Peloton isn't for everyone. The wife and I sat and considered other options, and the cost of each, and if we stuck with it, the 'expense' of the Peloton really was lower, over time. I ride every day. I was paying $20.00 to ride at the spinning 'studio'. I would have put their kids through college by now with what I'd be paying them.

But, you are right, it's more important to 'move the meat', and whatever someone finds that helps them is good. I read an article about a woman with a BMI of 70. I couldn't imagine that. 70? OMG!!! It takes WORK to stay somewhat slim in this capitalistic society. There are so many ways to cheat, and so many people that try to drag us down. (The wife bought cookies and cream ice cream last week, as a reward for me working out so much. But I don't do what I do to potentially wreck it all binging on ice cream. (That's what beer is for))

The dichotomy between the 'fitness industry' and the 'cycling industry' is really rather striking. You hit it, people often don't have the same brand equipment, and having their 'data' being kidnapped and held hostage by a paranoid company that wants to 'OWN' us, is ridiculous. I was so angry to find out that the LeMond bike that I loved, that actually used a popular protocol to collect live data, locked people out of using that data on other equipment and web sites. LeMond actually didn't have a data driven website, which was a HUGE miss for them. Those bikes were SOLID, built for the LONG HAUL! They were beasts, and I know I'd still have it, if it was only more open.

The fitness industry has to stop being so closed!!!

I know of several people, like me, who dropped the Peloton for similar reasons. It's just too closed, and they aren't as closed as so many others. Apple might not be the best partner to pry open the fitness industry, but they CAN BE. A smart trainer manufacturer tried to 'go closed', and suffered massive sales drops, and, what I heard, nearly lost their company. They ended up having to back track, and open up their devices again. Many, who love their trainers, don't quite trust them yet, wondering if they will try to close some of their systems down again in the future. Once bitten?

The problem with openness is potentially customer loyalty. Customer retention. I don't think that fear is grounded in reality. The bad part of openness is that many that refuse to be open will likely suffer.

I had hoped Peloton would be different. I had hoped they would be more open. I'm disappointed. The big problem is, if they fail, and their servers are turned off, ALL those bikes and treadmills will be useless monuments to corporate fear and incompetence. Sad...

They used to support AirPods, and the Apple Watch. Closing that down is tragic...

Comment

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 603
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
If Apple is putting obstacles in the way of Peleton then this is disappointing. It is worrying that any successful company that comes along Apple attempts to squash either through manipulation of 'service limits / api access' or straight out entering their market (tile). It is not good for us the user. Look how for years they limited the Spotify usability on the watch.

How can they look developers in the eye at various gatherings and continue to do this.

I would put this all on Peloton. The industry has a fear of being too open. They fear, apparently, that if they are opened up, they will lose butts on their bikes, and sweaty feet on their treadmills. The customer be damned, their data is Peloton property, and sharing that data with potentially other brands of equipment is something to be feared and avoided at all costs. Why Peloton would announce this support/feature, and then remove it is possibly fear and desperation driven. I think they fear openness, and it's sad... They have a great product. They need to help their customers and open their data so the people that own those butts and feet can get more data on their exercise. Some won't care, but many will. Closing the door is not going to help put more butts on their bikes...

Comment

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 603
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
You may have thought it was sarcasm, but I present my cross trainer in all its glory...

View attachment 1758562

🤣🤣🤣

In fairness to me, I prefer walking and functional strength training and use Apple Fitness+ especially the functional strength training workouts. My partner uses Fitness+ all the time, so she gets the value for money out of it, I guess Apple One beckons.

My stepper was a great rack to dry clothes on. Seriously... Then I was heading up the stairs in my house, and had to stop on the landing to catch my breath. I was, then in my early 40's, and horribly out of shape. I decided to remove the clothes from the stepper, and the boxes from the BowFlex, and started changing myself.

I started with 15 minutes at level 1 on that stepper, and felt like I was going to die, but kept on it. At the time I had to sell it, I was doing 90 minutes at level 16 to 18. I loved that thing. (My fitness led me to do more skiing that eventually trashed my knees, and that had to go) I weighed 260 when I made the decision to save my life. At my best weight, I was at 165. I lost a person in weight.

We got the Peloton, and I started riding more outside, and then got the trainer bug, and keep moving the meat, but analyzing the data, seeing the improvement, comparing it to other exercise I was doing was so powerful to help my improvement. Locking out data down out of fear is pointless. Announcing they were opening their ecosystem and then shutting the door is counter productive. But it's their turf. But OUR data...

Reactions: cjbryce
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.