Pentalobe Screws

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wicked1, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Is there a tool for the new Pentalobe screws in the new MacBook Pro's?

Ifixit doesn't have anymore left, is there another place to get them from?

Thanks

2. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

3. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yes, it will. There's only one type of pentalobe screw that Apple's been using lately as far as I know. I could be wrong though.

5. /user/me macrumors 6502

The new MBPs don't have pentalobe screws.....? I'm confused..

6. ericcumbee macrumors newbie

Do you need a set of these to upgrade the ram or install a ssd?

7. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I assume the pentalobe screws are on the inside? There are regular screws on the outside of my brand new MBP.

8. /user/me macrumors 6502

Nope, the ram just has snap connectors, and the HDD just has standard Hard drive screws i believe. I haven't messed with the hard drive so i can't remember what it has.

9. ericcumbee macrumors newbie

i know the ram just snaps in, i did not know if you needed them in order to get to the ram. i do not have a macbook yet.

10. /user/me macrumors 6502

Nope, you just need the 00 philips screw to get the back cover off.

11. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

You know this isn't the first time Apple did something to make it a pain to open their stuff. The iMac G5 isight. I remember this model well. What a beautiful design, and oh how do we open this? Get the (special) apple tool to open it. I remember spending like 15 minutes on some of these things. The release tabs weren't aligned right or whatever.

Sometimes we would open some of them to find the antistatic shielding was just destroyed by someone else or whatever. Add that to the list of items for replacement parts. Always thinking," Why did you design this like this?!" The last iMac the G5 had screws on the bottom and.......... huh why did they do this again? They could have left it alone and said something like make it the same way as the last one. Without the exploding capacitor problems.

I love Apple stuff really I do, but you know I have to agree that they don't like anybody else other then the Apple store to fix their stuff. Independent repair shops ( that can only have Apple certified technicians working there in the first place) sometimes have to wait forever for the "new tool" to arrive. Why did they do that? Someone may say its because there so good that they don't need repairs so why open them.

They do it because they design it and manufacture it, and they can do what they want with their products. Some PC manufacturers put those, "Warranty void if seal broken" label on their products. There are some Apple products (and non Apple) out there that if you don't know what you're doing you shouldn't mess with it in the first place.

Here's someone elses theory
    http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/01/pentalobe-screw-apple-war.php

12. dblissmn macrumors regular

Why doesn't anyone go and read iFixit? Not a pentalobe screw in sight, the battery with its tri-wing screws does not in practice need to be removed unless it's flat because it can be disconnected from the logic board while left sitting in place, and the only thing to raise serious flags other than the usual ice-cream-machine application of thermal paste is the difficulty of swapping the LCD panel.

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Hard drive is Torx just like it's always been. I've had my 2011 open twice, haven't seen anything other than phillips and torx.

Thought it was just an iPhone thing?

14. ozred macrumors 6502

15. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

hmmmm

16. apd macrumors member

No pentalobes I've found yet and have had the HDD out and installed an optibay. Phillips and Torx T6 only