Penultimate vs. PaperDesk

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by DaneGuy, Apr 27, 2010.

1. DaneGuy macrumors 6502

Anyone tried both and have an opinion on which is better?

Thanks!

2. Pishab macrumors newbie

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I haven't tried both but I did note PaperDesk offers free online storage of your notebooks online at www.mypaperdesk.com. Overall it seems like a better app and I have the lite version on my iPad right now.

Kudos. And?

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm using penultimate, I have tried the free version of paper desk. Simply preferred penultimate in use, and because I liked the app icon more. Anal but true.

5. DaneGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

So, where would you say PaperDesk is deficient?

6. Salsero58 macrumors newbie

Using both

I have and use both.

I like the smoothness of Penulimate as you write. I have not seen any other that smooth. Your writing is still big and you end up using many sheets to get your information together. Hopefully in the future they will add the ability to edit pen, color and size.

PaperDesk's writing is not bad at all (however trumped by Penultimate) it does allow you type in your information very nicely. The text is aligned properly on the lined paper. PaperDesk allows you select pen color, brightness, opacity and size. You can bookmark pages for reviewing later. You also have White lined, Yellow lined, Graph and blank papers to choose from. It is a more complete note taking app as compared to the rich smoothness of Penultimate.

Hope this helps.

7. tkettle macrumors newbie

Eww.. That's gross.

8. MikhailT macrumors 601

It really depends on the future of both apps. Right now both are very young to really provide a good comparison in my opinion.

I have been in contact with Penultimate over the last few weeks providing a huge list of feature requests, UI suggestions and so on. They were happy to take my ideas and mentioned that they will try to implement all of them as soon as possible.

The problem is that it takes time to add features and test the UI and make sense they are the right UI for each features. I think Penultimate has the most potential of all the note-apps on the iPad just because it has the best hand-writing.

9. DaneGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm planning on using PaperDesk or Penultimate to draw storyboards. Any one better equipped for that?

10. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Using paperdesk. It's awesome. I'm going to try to use it instead of real notebooks for school. Kind of excited.

11. MikhailT macrumors 601

Just don't get your hopes up too high. It might end up to be much more limiting. Though I might admit, the iPhoneOS 4.0 would make iPad far more powerful and usable.

You're going to use it with a keyboard?

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

To be honest I can type pretty darn fast on the iPad. This post literally took me 10 seconds to type.

13. DaneGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Portrait or landscape? Fingers? Thumbs?

I don't have mine yet but I'd like to hear about the best ways to type.

14. MikhailT macrumors 601

On a flat desk without looking down?

Landscape is the fastest way with all "four" fingers. The biggest problem is with thumb hitting the spacebar. I keep missing spacebar because my thumb is hitting the border instead of the virtual keyboard.

15. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

With the Apple iPad case. Who is able to write notes without looking at the paper? I see no difference. You can even draw in the program for classes such as Chemistry.

16. MikhailT macrumors 601

Ah, I have no experience with iPad in the Apple case. So i wouldn't know much about that, that's why I asked.

As for looking at the paper, I don't need to look at the paper, I can write without looking down constantly to finish. Same goes for the laptops, a lot of people type paragraphs without even looking at their screen. That's the problem for students in classes where there's a lot of information being thrown at them. Can iPad catch up, yes with a bluetooth keyboard. But iPad's virtual keyboard? So far for me, it's not good for long sessions, I can't type on it for 2-4 hours straight.

17. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Yeah I will have to experiment with it and see. Obviously I have no idea how it will turn out, as I haven't tried it. May be good for outlining. I typed my test review in class on it today but I'd hardly constitute it as a lecture.

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Not if the other person is relaxed first.

19. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

This is where the iPad not being able to multi-task is huge:

Imagine running the voice recording App while also using a note-taking App...

20. Salsero58 macrumors newbie

If all you are doing is drawing then I think PenUltimate would be better. The writing is extremely smooth and accurate.

21. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Paperdesk does that it says....

22. glxyjones macrumors regular

glxyjones

I use neither (thought I've unfortunately bought both) because they both read my palm resting on the screen while trying to write as input.

Until a note taking tool comes out that can figure out a way to ignore a palm resting on the lower part of the iPad, I will continue to use evernote and take notes by typing.

23. DaneGuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Put a sheet of paper or cover stock where your hand rests?

24. Salsero58 macrumors newbie

Sound Paper does this.

25. JReynolds macrumors 6502

Sundry Notes records and let's u take notes. IT's FREE TOO