Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glxyjones

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Put a sheet of paper or cover stock where your hand rests?

Actually, I think an app-based version of this would be the quickest solution. I don't have the devkit but wouldn't it be possible to implement a square/rectangle shaped space in the app which would ignore input? You could make the shape adjustable and movable so that you can comfortable rest your hand on the iPad and the only input it would accept would be from the portion of the iPad not covered by this shape.

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
FL
Sorry to revive an older thread, but I just updated Penultimate, and wow, wrist protection is a wonderful addition. You can switch it on in the settings and write resting your wrist on the iPad screen. This just increases the usability 20x! Wonderful update!

hariustrk

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
Check out note taker hd, I was impressed by the video and gave it a whirl. I like it better then either of the two. The style is differnt but once I played with it, I like it alot better.

The new wrist feature of penultimate is very nice, BUT I still prefer notetaker because I can get alot more notes on a piece of paper, vs penultimate.

If they added a pinch/pull zooming feature that would improve penultimate by leaps and bounds.

NYs FURY

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2008
Do any of these apps convert hand written notes into a typed format? This would be an awesome feature and I believe you could do this with palm software a few years back...

OreAird

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
anyone tried uWrite it has the palm rest feature y'all was discussing before, thats the reason I want it.

I'm a Brit tho and have to wait another 5 days before I can attempt to get an ipad in one of those small queues outside the apples stores...

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
anyone tried uWrite it has the palm rest feature y'all was discussing before, thats the reason I want it.

I'm a Brit tho and have to wait another 5 days before I can attempt to get an ipad in one of those small queues outside the apples stores...

Looks nice. I may have to check it out. I've been using Penultimate, but it has only one pen color.

moocat

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2010
Norman, OK
I have quite a bit of experience with these note-taking apps. I've tried sundry, penultimate, paperdesk, others (can't even remember). The last one I purchased is Note Taker HD - I highly suggest it even though the icon is a bit ugly and it costs $5. The way it functions is brilliant. It gives you a small window at the bottom for writing text (you write large and it fits it to the lines of the notebook paper). Then, if you have to draw a diagram you can just write directly on the page (large window on top). There is no sound recording functionality, but multitasking update will take away the need for that. I think they have demo videos on their webpage.

DaneGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2008
I have quite a bit of experience with these note-taking apps. I've tried sundry, penultimate, paperdesk, others (can't even remember). The last one I purchased is Note Taker HD - I highly suggest it even though the icon is a bit ugly and it costs $5. The way it functions is brilliant. It gives you a small window at the bottom for writing text (you write large and it fits it to the lines of the notebook paper). Then, if you have to draw a diagram you can just write directly on the page (large window on top). There is no sound recording functionality, but multitasking update will take away the need for that. I think they have demo videos on their webpage.

+1

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida

I bought this and have been playing with it. It has potential, and the moving down covering irks well for how i write.

But, I keep having parts of words disappear, and the writing isn't as smooth as I'd expect.

I haven't done a lot of handwriting mainly because i need something like this to put my hand on the screen. I've lost track of what I've bought at this point! Lol!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I bought uWrite an hour ago. While it's got potential, the writing on-screen is pretty laggy. Penultimate is far more able to keep up with the writing (both with my finger and with a Pogo stylus) without falling behind and looking blocky than uWrite is.

Basically, I took one for the team.

Quick circles or arcs on Penultimate come out smooth. On uWrite, they look like lines and angles without any smoothness. Turning on uWrite's "smooth" feature makes it even worse, since it appears to do more background processing while you draw, so it has an even harder time keeping up.

But uWrite's multiple pen colors, thicknesses and highlighter are nice, as are it's multiple different paper templates.

I'd like uWrite's features with Penultimate's speed and smoothness.

So, I'd still recommend Penultimate for handwritten notes.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Penultimate is the dullest writing experience I've had in a long time.

Brown icon, brown anonymous notebooks, black ink, gray background, brownish paper. An endless conveyor belt of identical unmarked brown notebooks.

I don't need to be entertained, but did the developer intentionally make something so intensely dull?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.