iPad People expecting touch ID

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Oct 22, 2013.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

All the early leaks showed no touch ID. Plus it's a feature for iphone 5S for a year so I'm not surprised. Plus Iphone 5 still has a better camera.

2. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

It makes sense it turned out this way, I guess... Siri came to the iPad a year later... why would touch ID be any different?

3. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

they're going to add it on the iPad Air 2 coming in March. Along with a better camera.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I was surprised too. The new iPads are still solid, but touch ID is way to convenient for me to buy another iOS device without it.

5. mncmoore macrumors regular

mncmoore

Would be better for me to have since iPad goes everywhere with me. Oh well... A must for next year.

6. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Do all of you use a passcode to access your iPads?

Is the Touch ID demanded for privacy reasons or because you're concerned someone will steal your device?

Just curious as I've never used a passcode on either my iPad or my iPod and I'm unsure why people would expect it, given it's available on only one iPhone model.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I use a passcode on my iPad even though it rarely leaves my house. If I were to get burglarized, the thief would have access to all my private information if it weren't locked.

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Same. All my devices have passwords. It's just a smart thing to do.

9. PoppaKap macrumors regular

Touch ID works so sporadically on my 5S that I don't care about it at all.

10. B.Boston macrumors newbie

If I want to be able to access my work e-mail I need to use at least a 6-digit passcode. But with Touch ID I don't have to enter it in every time. It's been so much more user friendly unlocking my iPhone with touch ID. Sure, it doesnt always read on the first try, but it's still less time than entering a non-simple passcode!

11. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

That's my thinking.

I don't know why anybody thought it would come this year.

12. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Having become so used to it on the 5S I had hoped for it.

My current Mini works fine. No TouchID combined with the huge price increase means I wait for next year.

Maybe I'll change my mind later if we find out it has 2GB of memory and if the refurb prices are low enough.

13. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I agree. With how apple talked it up during the 5s they should've put it on the air at least. Unlocking and purchases too, not to mention what the future holds.

If you don't do touchid at least do 32 gb standard

14. sleepyking macrumors 6502

is there the slightest chance Apple will release the mini w/ touch ID before next fall? or do we really have to wait another year?

I am on the same boat as all of you who has gotten used to the convenience of touch ID, not just for unlocking but for app/music purchases as well.

15. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Yep this.

16. xNYMetsx macrumors 6502

xNYMetsx

It's a problem for those who've already adapted to fingerprint.

17. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

doesn't work all that well on mine either...not sure why

18. OneBagTravel macrumors 6502

OneBagTravel

bummed about this and the camera :(

I was hoping for a slightly larger 5s with the mini

19. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

Must say this was a rather disappointing announcement without any surprises other than calling this an iPad Air and it not having Touch ID :rolleyes:

I also was really hoping that the base model would be 32GB. I know that was just based on my wild imagination but I was still hopeful. Oh well.

But I do use my iPad 1 all the time and it is simply time to upgrade the darn thing before I throw it out the window after it keeps crashing on me when browsing the web.

The iPad Air, while not all I had hoped it would be will be fine for my needs. Still slightly peeved about the lack of Touch ID though. Guess they couldn't make those touch ID components fast enough for this release.

20. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yep why wait longer the ipad really did require a full redesign.

21. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

does it ever fail? every time apple releases an ipad now someone says a new one is coming out in march....it literally has never happened. where do you get this stuff?

22. bobright macrumors 601

Well as a future Air owner that makes me feel good

23. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I bought an iPad 3 on March 16th 2012 and they announced the iPad 4 in september of that year.... that's 6 months after the 3.

Why is it so absurd to speculate (half jokingly I might add) that Apple will come out with minor improvements 5 or 6 months from now? it HAS literally happened.

24. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I'll take a guess and say apple releases an iPad pro with a 12.9 inch screen, touch id, touch cover, and 8mp camera.

25. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I think that upgrade was largely driven by a significant event, i.e. the move from 30-pin interface to the lightening port.