Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
yea because some ppl are in different time zones and us here on the east coast will be doing it first :D

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Of course I am, and we know no such thing. Last year I received my 3GS on launch day and activated it immediately with no problems whatsoever.

orangerock

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
...along with different delivery times across the time zones. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it will be a pain in the neck at various points in the day, but there is a chance activation could work.

Press22

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2010
Las Vegas
I'll make an attempt. I think that the earlier you get your iphone the better (if it's being delivered)
and if it doesn't work I'll run to the AT&T that's a 5 minute walk from my house.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I'll be bringing my laptop (and iphone4) to work that day and attempting periodically, hoping to get lucky the same way I got lucky ordering my iPhone from Apple yesterday.

If all else fails, I'll just have to get up at 2am later that night and try it or something :)

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I am still uncertain of my hours for the 24th. There is a chance I might work early, in which case I would be home around 3pm and then I can get my phone and spend all night trying to activate.

On the other hand, I might not get home until 10pm, so the servers might be more willing to have me at that point.

Gonna be a lot of anticipation that day either way!

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
What is this Activate stuff people keep screeching about?
p324697530.gif

"Plug into iTunes"

ok ....

Not even 2 seconds later you can use the phone

bobsentell

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Alabama
Servers should be fine. Yesterday was a larger than expected crowd essentially doing a DoS attack on AT&T. But for activation, it is a two second process with a set number of phones. Servers should be able handle it.

mugwump

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2004
Um, ATT better purchase an additional Dell pc box to handle the west coast activations.

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
There is no reason not to try, because once you set it up then it happens automatically whenever its able to do it.

nszzya

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
I'll make an attempt. I think that the earlier you get your iphone the better (if it's being delivered)
and if it doesn't work I'll run to the AT&T that's a 5 minute walk from my house.

How would going to the AT&T store on launch day be any quicker? You'll likely have to suffer a long line (depending on your location). After that, I'd like to know if their activation process will be more efficient than doing it yourself at home?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Servers should be fine. Yesterday was a larger than expected crowd essentially doing a DoS attack on AT&T. But for activation, it is a two second process with a set number of phones. Servers should be able handle it.

Yeah, thats a good joke.:D
You didnt see what happened with both iphone 3G and 3GS activation server crash?
Now picture that times 10 this year.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I guess nobody remembers the 3G debacle when iTunes could not handle all of the activations and ended up crashing. I had to take my phone home and it still took me about an hour or 2 to activate it.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I have a 3GS and I'm getting the 4 on launch day. During set-up is their a prompt to retain your old phone number, and does this deactivate your prior iPhone? Thx!

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
You people must have never actiavted an iPhone :confused: Sure it's quick-ish, but it takes longer than just two seconds. At the end, you have to wait for a text to be sent to your new phone, thus completing the activation. For the 3G launch, this took days for people. 600,000 pre-orders so far, and more to come. It's going to be a cluster****.

Luckily I'm on the east coast, so I'll try asap.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
If it arrives before I go to work next Thursday, I'll try to activate. If not, I'll do it when I get home that night. Unlike preorders, the phones will be arriving at everyone's houses at different times. Generally you have to be home for delivery, so if it arrives while you're at work, you're not getting it until the next day anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.