People getting their iPhone 4 on June 24th...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iLoveMyApple, Jun 16, 2010.

1. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

Are you even going to attempt to activate it? We all know the servers are going to be gone.

2. RyCan3 macrumors 6502

RyCan3

yea because some ppl are in different time zones and us here on the east coast will be doing it first :D

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Of course I am, and we know no such thing. Last year I received my 3GS on launch day and activated it immediately with no problems whatsoever.

4. nickarate macrumors regular

5. iLoveMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

With what happened on AT&T's and Apple's website yesterday. I'm pretty sure we'll see a server overload. We'll see though.

6. orangerock macrumors regular

...along with different delivery times across the time zones. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it will be a pain in the neck at various points in the day, but there is a chance activation could work.

7. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

I'll make an attempt. I think that the earlier you get your iphone the better (if it's being delivered)
    and if it doesn't work I'll run to the AT&T that's a 5 minute walk from my house.

8. oldschooldude macrumors regular

What he says.

9. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I'll be bringing my laptop (and iphone4) to work that day and attempting periodically, hoping to get lucky the same way I got lucky ordering my iPhone from Apple yesterday.

If all else fails, I'll just have to get up at 2am later that night and try it or something :)

10. iLoveMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

Well, I'm going to have to wait until July 14th. I still can't get Apple to take my iPhone 4 pre-order. It won't even ship until after July 14th! :(

11. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I am still uncertain of my hours for the 24th. There is a chance I might work early, in which case I would be home around 3pm and then I can get my phone and spend all night trying to activate.

On the other hand, I might not get home until 10pm, so the servers might be more willing to have me at that point.

Gonna be a lot of anticipation that day either way!

12. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

What is this Activate stuff people keep screeching about? [​IMG]

"Plug into iTunes"

ok ....

Not even 2 seconds later you can use the phone

13. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Servers should be fine. Yesterday was a larger than expected crowd essentially doing a DoS attack on AT&T. But for activation, it is a two second process with a set number of phones. Servers should be able handle it.

14. mugwump macrumors regular

Um, ATT better purchase an additional Dell pc box to handle the west coast activations.

15. Munitalp macrumors 65816

There is no reason not to try, because once you set it up then it happens automatically whenever its able to do it.

16. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Can't use it until I do. So . . . yes. Of course.

17. mugwump macrumors regular

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh, that's a good one.

18. koopa35 macrumors 6502

19. nszzya macrumors member

How would going to the AT&T store on launch day be any quicker? You'll likely have to suffer a long line (depending on your location). After that, I'd like to know if their activation process will be more efficient than doing it yourself at home?

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah, thats a good joke.:D
    You didnt see what happened with both iphone 3G and 3GS activation server crash?
    Now picture that times 10 this year.

21. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I guess nobody remembers the 3G debacle when iTunes could not handle all of the activations and ended up crashing. I had to take my phone home and it still took me about an hour or 2 to activate it.

22. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I have a 3GS and I'm getting the 4 on launch day. During set-up is their a prompt to retain your old phone number, and does this deactivate your prior iPhone? Thx!

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, once you activate the new phone the old simcard will become deactivated and your number will be working with the new microsim.

24. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

You people must have never actiavted an iPhone :confused: Sure it's quick-ish, but it takes longer than just two seconds. At the end, you have to wait for a text to be sent to your new phone, thus completing the activation. For the 3G launch, this took days for people. 600,000 pre-orders so far, and more to come. It's going to be a cluster****.

Luckily I'm on the east coast, so I'll try asap.

25. rmatthewware macrumors 6502

If it arrives before I go to work next Thursday, I'll try to activate. If not, I'll do it when I get home that night. Unlike preorders, the phones will be arriving at everyone's houses at different times. Generally you have to be home for delivery, so if it arrives while you're at work, you're not getting it until the next day anyway.