iPad People keep taking about an ipad air refresh in march... Why?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Reminisce32, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

Why are some of you expecting apple to refresh the ipad air in March? Some here sound so certain. I'd like to know why.

2. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

:rolleyes:

OP, it seems hugely improbable that Apple will update the iPads in March. This is a site full of people who truly believe they're right about what Apple will do.

4. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

They're delusional. The next iPad is coming out with all of the other iPads next November.

5. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

only reason for the iPad 3-4 update was they wanted the lightning connecter on all devices. They didn't have to update it 6 months early.
    There won't be any big changes like this anytime soon so there won't be a 6 month update. it will all be yearly. This is all what i think anyway.

6. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Because that's what we do here. We speculate. Most of the time we're wrong but sometimes we're right.

7. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

Probably because the latest hasn't met their expectations..... ;)

8. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

Why would they still be selling the iPad 2 if they wanted all devices to have the same connector?

9. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Expectations without their use and going by specs is ridiculous. I had all kinds of doubts about the current Mini. What a waste of worry and concern that turned out to be. :D

10. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I think a lot will depend on how quick they want to push out TouchID. I think they realized they would be heavily constrained right now so they decided to go ahead without.

If they see it as a big feature they want people to start adopting (like the did with lightning) they might release an updated version rather than wait an entire year.

11. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I'm just giving my best guess answer to the question asked. Many people were certain the new iPad would have several features that failed to appear, and some of these features are on the 5s. The Mini is the only tablet I use right now, but its display was hit with criticism from day one.

I also think the iPad 4's release, along with the 128GB iPad 4 a few months later, has people thinking Apple will release the "better" product in a few months. Their only other option is disappointment, and some just aren't willing to feel that way about Apple.

12. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

schools buy iPad 2's more. clearing out the stock of the 30 pin for one more year? who knows
    why else did they upgrade the 3-4. The 3 was fine i had mine for over a year and a half

13. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

Or they just wanted to change the release cycle to November without waiting a year and a half inbetween releases.

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

A. "People" don't "keep" talking about it. Just you, and one guy who mentioned March AS A JOKE in a thread.

B. You already asked this question in the above mentioned thread. It's not a thread worthy question as it is, and it's already been asked. Just let it go.

15. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Two reasons:

1) iPad was coming out of the 'niche' market and into the mainstream so Apple wanted to realign it with the Christmas sales period (and, coincidentally, with their silicon refresh as well). To do so they either had to do a 6 month cycle or an 18 and they chose the most sensible one.

2) The A5X, while an incredibly impressive chip, was also a ridiculous piece of engineering. Huge, likely expensive and running on a 45nm process that resulted in a very hot and power hungry SoC. It was the only way to deliver a Retina display (and contrary to what others may say it still performs fine today) but Apple would have been keen to get away from it nonetheless.

As for the iPad 2 still being around, remember there's a surprisingly large ecosystem built around that specific device. Point of sale terminals, interactive units in retail stores and, of course, education. They neither want nor need retina, most of the mounts are 30 pin devices and cost matters.

16. ABC5S macrumors 68040

They are lonely, they use this forum as a Social Media to keep company, and not go out, and live life to its fullness, and they want to start a conversation with strangers about nonsense that is not going to happen, and....and want to start a long useless thread like this one

17. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I believe we would have heard or seen some pictures leaked if they would refresh by March. It happened last year because I believe they wanted to put their flagship tablet device on the Lightning cable. I don't think they will have a 6 month release cycle on iPads. That is just ridiculous.

18. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Continuing use of 1 Gig of RAM even though 64Bit uses more RAM than 32Bit, and Apple using the word Air for this iteration. Both signs point to a 2Gig RAM Pro version. Whether it happens sooner, later, or never - That's where the speculation is coming from.

19. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

People aren't quite satisfied with the latest release whether it be the lack of touch sensor, 1GB of RAM, storage options, lack of wireless charging etc. and hope that the fluke that occurred with the iPad-3-4 will possibly happen again. Wishful thinking.

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

This is likely the exact reason the ipad2 still exists.

----------

Fixed that for you. :D

Remember the folks here are not characteristic of the general market.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority outside techie hangouts really don't give a flip about RAM and are willing to ignore the lack of TouchID, wireless charging, etc. in favor of the size/weight improvements.

21. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

it's called wishful thinking.

22. Macalway macrumors 68000

Rule # 1

Don't believe everything you read

Rule # 2

Don't believe anything you read here

23. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

And how do you know this? (the part in bold)

Front-facing camera: iPad 3 = 0.3MP, iPad 4 = 1.2MP
    Processor: iPad 3 = A5X, iPad 4 = A6X
    Connector: iPad 3 - 30 pin, iPad 4 = Lightning

Maybe camera and processor don't mean anything to you, but the release of the iPad 4 wasn't ONLY for the connector.

24. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Because the iPad Air is too thick and too heavy and not powerful enough. Oh, wait...

25. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Probably for the same reasons that there are always people posting that you shouldn't buy an Apple product since the update is just around the corner. The iPod Touch forum is the worst for this advice.