Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Lets try not to be too closed minded people. There are plenty of reasons a person may need to turn there phone off/on. Just because they don't apply to you doesn't mean everyone is just like you....

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I used to switch my phones off every night but since getting the i5 and its wretched, loose, rattley buttons, I hate pressing them. I now put my phone into airplane mode at bedtime and it is purely down to the low quality buttons that I have changed my routine.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Seems like OP is complaining about nothing. Don't want to use a pass code then don't but using touch iD is about as simple as it comes and to complain about it is... well pointless.

Well if you want to complain about it's performance or lack there of at times sure....

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
If you use your phone for work, it is a godsend. My employer makes us install policies through MobileIron that require a password before accessing the corporate network.

So instead of password unlocking my phone 50 times a day, I just touch it.

Definitely a big deal.

+1 same deal for me!

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Touch ID slow? Suggest you gotta redo your fingerprint setups

Once powered on with your home button; touch ID should read, complete and unlock your IP5s within a 1/4 sec

Skip to 3:50

^^^ Homeboy didn't follow the instructions properly, hence is normal unlocking speed. LOL he was all confused at the beginning with hitting the sleep / wake and home buttons.

Last edited:

ijon01

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2014
If you see no point to it go back to entering the 4 digit passcode as normal, for me my iphone unlocks almost instantly when I press the home button to wake it up.

I'm guessing iOS8 will include more touch id features.............

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
If you see no point to it go back to entering the 4 digit passcode as normal, for me my iphone unlocks almost instantly when I press the home button to wake it up.

I'm guessing iOS8 will include more touch id features.............

I never used a 4 digit passcode. I do like touch id for store purchases though so I just wish they would separate it. Also why do we have to have a lock screen? Seems a little needless.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I am another who does not use it. When I did it would sometimes delay me using my phone. I have not lost a phone from day one and never leave it laying around. The feature is just not worth it for my phone. Maybe my iPad could use it as I do leave it laying around.

Anyway everyone has the choice to use it or not. But be warned that some will attack you for not being a good Apple citizen and using this feature.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
The great idea behind Touch ID or any other competitive feature is that the application knows exactly who authenticated and not only that someone happened to know the credentials.

Think about shared devices and store accounts. You can be sure that the right person authorized whatever needs confirmation.

Think about parental controls for remote controls.

Think about standing in a store and the employee doesn't know you.
He can be sure you are authorized to confirm any transaction because of the biometric nature of Touch ID.

It's not only about unlocking or iTunes, it's about making sure that the person is present during the transaction.

I think it's a great idea for a lot of future features, but also believe that Amazon, Google and all the rest will bake their own and never support it on there payed services on iOS at least.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
...really? The same way I do on my current phone, just press the home button and voila your screen turns on and you're at your home screen.

It might be just me, but I fail to spot the actual unlocking step here. Even if you are ignorant to security, I would think that nobody wants their phone to pocket-dial random phonebook contacts or whatnot, hence some coordinated action is required.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I am another who does not use it. When I did it would sometimes delay me using my phone. I have not lost a phone from day one and never leave it laying around. The feature is just not worth it for my phone. Maybe my iPad could use it as I do leave it laying around.

Anyway everyone has the choice to use it or not. But be warned that some will attack you for not being a good Apple citizen and using this feature.

Right as if the apple police of the internet really care.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
It might be just me, but I fail to spot the actual unlocking step here. Even if you are ignorant to security, I would think that nobody wants their phone to pocket-dial random phonebook contacts or whatnot, hence some coordinated action is required.

The only 'unlocking' step is just pressing the home button.
It's not (nor has ever) pocket dialed anyone because you still have to press the home button just for the screen to turn on, then it would have to hit a specific app, then hit a contact/recent number, then go into that info screen and hit the number to start dialing.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I just got the T-Mobile test drive 5S and I must say I'm more impressed than I thought I would be. I have an iPhone 5 that I've been very happy with, but now I know I'll miss the Touch ID until we get new iPhones this fall. I find it very fast and it really does make having a lock code much less of a bother.

On a side note, I'm thoroughly impressed with T-Mobile's LTE in my area. This weekend I'll be traveling a bit more around the state to see how it holds up but so far it's been stellar.

I'm in North Jersey if anyone's curious.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
If you have a 5, why not just NOT have a lock code?

Seriously how come so many people have lock codes? Is it really a problem that people are going to go in your pants and look at your phone without you knowing?

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey

Seriously how come so many people have lock codes? Is it really a problem that people are going to go in your pants and look at your phone without you knowing?

I never lost a mobile phone either but that doesn't mean that one day it won't happen. I also have very curious little grandchildren that I prefer them not to touch my iPhone but occasionally they do. Having a lock code prevents them from doing any kind of uninteded mischief.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
I never lost a mobile phone either but that doesn't mean that one day it won't happen. I also have very curious little grandchildren that I prefer them not to touch my iPhone but occasionally they do. Having a lock code prevents them from doing any kind of uninteded mischief.

I don't worry about the losing it part. I'd have find my iphone on but the real point is that even with a lock code people can get into it. Actually I'd LIKE for people to get into the phone because I have seen more honest people than not (depending on the area I'm in though, granted).

One time I found a phone in a dressing room at kohls just sitting there so I took it...to take to the register outside the dressing rooms. Some cleaning lady came after me screaming like I stole her phone.

Another time my mom put her phone on a paper towel dispenser where she works (government building) and some lady swooped it up and ran out of the bathroom. My mom saw who it was so told security and they found her eating lunch and she had it on her so she got fired. Kind of a justice boner right there.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

If you lose your phone or your phone is stolen, you'll really, really be glad that you have a passcode.

Also, you just want to touch the home button and get to your home screen? With Touch ID, that's exactly what you do! Just press the home button and your phone unlocks! No need to swipe or enter a passcode.

It's magic.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
If you lose your phone or your phone is stolen, you'll really, really be glad that you have a passcode.

Also, you just want to touch the home button and get to your home screen? With Touch ID, that's exactly what you do! Just press the home button and your phone unlocks! No need to swipe or enter a passcode.

It's magic.

Stolen - won't matter they can still get into the phone. Lost - happy people can access my contacts to return the phone to me.

With touchid you have to hit the home button once they wait for it to verify me. Yes this is too much lag for my taste. I want it unlocked at one button press.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You guys really don't know that they can easily be hacked into? Seriously? Good lord no wonder you guys use pass codes.

Let's see some proof like an internet link. Don't post google glass or the Touch ID hacks that takes 50000$ in equipment and 10 hours. We already know about those and they are not mass hacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.