People leaving att for sprint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by loskickking23, Jun 22, 2008.

1. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

Was in sprint store yesterday with my wife and saw alot of people come in and sign up for sprint some att customers.They were getting the instinct.My wifes been with sprint she got the instinct.The phone is not near as bad as everyone is saying not as nice as the iphone.But for $129 i was very close.Also $99 unlimited everything and insurance with only $50 deductable if you loose your phone and no deductable if you break (drop) your phone.Att need to step there game up with these data plans atleast.I have 1st gen iphone with unlimited right now.

2. verks macrumors member

verks

From what some of my friends tell me, the service from Sprint is below average and they can't wait to leave. The $99 plan sounds good but not worth to holes in coverage.

3. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

My first phone was on Sprint's network [I had a Virgin Mobile phone back in the day].

The service is terrible. I almost never had full bars. Once I convinced my parents to get an at&t [then cingular] family plan. The constant full bars was a godsend.

4. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I can empathize with being in a hurry sometimes when wanting to make a post on a forum but please.... Stop, take a quick breath, and read what you write

5. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Sprint is a horrible cell provider.

They virtually have to give their service away by making their employee plan available to anyone, to get any customers.

If they are still in business on their own in 2 years it will be a shock.

Anyone who uses sprint can't afford real cell phone service.

6. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

i still have sprint, i hated it so much i had to get a new phone so i will pay both for another month in july until i can cancel.

7. alejovh1 macrumors regular

ha,ha. Leaving ATT for the instinct? are you kidding me?
    I went to two different sprint stores yesterday to see the instinct and I must say, not impressed at all. Not to mention the stores were completely empty!:p

8. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had sprint just 3 months ago and left to get this iphone.My phone service was alot better in my area with sprint.Not thinking about leaving just for the instinct but everything all together.I love my iphone but i hate att and there prices.On top of all that i planned on upgrading to the 3g my bill for unlimited everything is going to be $150 a month when it could be $99 a month.The instinct is sold out around here.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There is also no reason for him to have hurried. It's the first post. No one is going to post the same information before you.

10. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

i am sorry but sprint is terrible it sounds like i am under water when i talk and it always lost service. my iphone is awesome it sounds like i have got a landline.

11. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

At the risk of validating the OP's point, I know quite a few people with Sprint who they happen to love the service, and the reception is as clear as a bell when I speak to them.

The poor reception, as reported by other posters, could be a regional issue.

Jude

12. Walter P Henson macrumors member

quite frankly ive been with sprint for 4+ years and i can honestly say the service is much better than people give it credit for. I dont always have full bars but i very very rarely have no service ad i do travel quite a bit. i do plan on switching to ATT for the iphone but i have heard much more complaints about ATT than Sprint from people i know. and its the cheapest US carrier by far

13. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

AT&T to Sprint...? Oh my God. Ignorant people exist??! :eek:

14. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I am not sure people are leaving AT&T for Sprint, but I have used Sprint for 2 years.

Some facts.
    1) The network is great. Sprint and Verizon use the same system, so if I am not in a Sprint area, I seamlessly switch to a Verizon tower. Thus I am benefitting from Sprint PLUS Verizon coverage. This has meant nearly NO dropouts anywhere. And no, I don't pay extra to "roam" on Verizon's towers.

2) Sprint has had for at least 2 years a 3G data network (EVDO)... AT&T is just now catching up (and perhaps surpassing Sprint). But Sprint is now slowly rolling out WiMax along the eastern US. It is a game of catchup, of course, but thus far it has been AT&T catching up. So for the past 2 years while fanboys (of which I am sometimes one) have been blogging about 3G, I have been actually using it.

3) Sprint may offer dirt cheap plans to recruit customers, but what do I care? I currently pay $30/month.... for 500 minutes, Sprint + Verizon network cov'g, unlimited 3G data, unlimited text messaging/MMS, Sprint TV on the handset, nights starting at 6PM, unlim weekends.

Now Sprint doesn't have iPhone... but based upon the above, it doesn't sound too shabby, does it?

15. rican macrumors 6502

rican

It's all a matter of preference really.. Who cares what others have.. ? You have a cell phone, you use it to call, text etc... I love my iphone and would never go to any other carrier... but no one should be putting down someone who is happy with what they have... IMO... :cool:

16. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats the same way i feel.Sprints reception is better to me.It might be this metal back on the iphone i dont know.3gs going to be plastic that might help me.I love my iphone everything about it the best phone i have ever had.I just dont know how much longer i can ignore the fact that i dont have good service,higher plans and no insurance on my phone.But i also hate sprints customer service.

17. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Good points. I love my orig iPhone too-- it's just that I don't use it as a phone (!)

This is why I want Apple make a phone less 3G iPhone (iPod touch doesn't count- no camera or speakers-- I need both). Or Apple can let me PAY for a 3G iPhone without activating it on AT&T. I'll gladly pay more.

18. aneftp macrumors 68040

I had Sprint for 7 years, suffered with poor coverage the last 4 years

I thought Sprint was the "best" cell phone provider form 1997-2000. Maybe it's because my med school was just 1 mile away from their World Headquarters right next to Kansas City, Kansas. I never had a dropped called in that area.

Than I moved to NYC, I suffered for a year (thought maybe coverage was just bad in NYC). Moved down to the Washington DC, suffered though another 3 years.....than a light-bulb when off in my head....Sprint just does not have good coverage.

That's when I switched over to Cingular (2004). I've been a satsified customer since than.

So the only thing I recommend is that if you live in the Kansas City area, than I know their coverage their is exceptional (I think they might have moved their world headquarters since I left in 2000). It's like trying to get a package delivered overnight to Memphis, TN via FedEx. You know you can't got wrong delivery overnight mail to FedEx's world quarters.

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

What I don't get about the OP, is that he has to show up at MacRumors: Forums, attempting to qualify his decision on buying an "iPhonie" and then convince "US" (former Sprint/Nextel users) that he made the right choice. For me Sprint has the ugliest phones (especially the inSTANK!) and the poorest phone selection. If I wanted a push-talk phone, I'd shop at Radio Shack for a kid's "walkie-talkie" and push-talk to only one other person that is actually stuck in her "added with out her knowledge" two-year contract with Sprint, because she needed a Sprint phone because her phone stopped working and it was out of warranty.

I would call the Sprint/Nextel Network "The Surprise-Surprise Wireless Company," b/c every time I turned around my bill had surprise-surprise charges that couldn't be explained by any CSR or manager at Sprint. Should I mention "double-billing?" It always took them 2-3 months on average to fix the situation, and I never received anything in return for having my service shut off for 2-4 days, while they tried to shove a $750 monthly bill down my throat. Regardless, that my service was shutoff, they always treated me like a deadbeat, until they figured-out that it was their fault once again. Coverage? I'd never seen full bars with Sprint, and clear and understandable phone conversations were unfounded as well. "As for going into a Sprint/Nextel store, it never happened with me or the other three I have on a family plan; they enjoyed screwing us over the phone!"

Most interesting, is the fact that the OP describes "inStank" as a phone; clearly justifying his purchase for "just a phone!" I guess everything else after the iPhone is "just a phone!" Enough said.

I think the OP is willing to settle for less phone and pay $99 for unlimited minutes, no rollover minutes, and the worst customer service in the business. It's probably good that he got the the cheap plastic, insensitive to the touch, piece of s%#& phone (yes I demoed it and it hardly met the demands of this iPhone owner), b/c it sounds like the iPhone might be too much phone for him. And yes, the iPhone isn't for everyone, but at least he could have gone with something like the BB. Maybe he can lose the phone and utilize his deductible and come back to AT&T; b/c it will most certainly never be stolen! :eek::p

20. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

From the contents of your post they obviously do.

It's a free world, people have different opinions.

21. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Now take a deep breath :D

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You always kill me! Thanks. :p

23. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

And I am allowed my opinion just as you are yours, without the insults, so take a hike.

Here in CA everyone I know with Sprint hates it. I also have a close friend in FL I talk to a lot, and I'm always trying to convince him to get rid of his Sprint/Nextel service because A) he's always complaining about it anyway and B) I can't even tell you how many times I've called him and it says his line is not available, or some other cryptic message. The sound quality stinks often times, and there are just so many issues with it.

So in MY opinion, someone going from AT&T to THAT, would be ignorant. I hope the people did their homework is all I can say.

24. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I cant agree with you more about Sprint Service and Phones...

Bay Area Love Man ! :D

25. calvy macrumors 65816

I can't quit laughing at this thread. I'd use a tin can and piece of string before I used Sprint.