Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
In went with 512gb on the 11 pro because we plan to record a lot of 4k. And lots of pictures. I also like to store video library locally.

I’m not one to keep all my stuff on my iPhone as a permanent thing but I have been thinking about stepping up from 64 to 256 because of video recording. I’m often out for a good 12 hours at a time and don’t want to risk running out of space. Which I could

Killbynumbers

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I bought three 512GB XS Max last year and I'm glad I did. I sold two of them in the last two weeks for $900 each. I'm keeping the last one to use another year.

I will never fill all that space even though I have 123GB of music on it. I also bought a 1TB S10+ and last week, a 512GB Note 10+. I also have a 1TB iPad Pro. I bought a 512GB pro also but sold it last month for $1000.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
At least now the topic of conversation is about too much capacity, instead of back when everybody said 16GB was too small!

Mt44

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
I bought three 512GB XS Max last year and I'm glad I did. I sold two of them in the last two weeks for $900 each. I'm keeping the last one to use another year.

I will never fill all that space even though I have 123GB of music on it. I also bought a 1TB S10+ and last week, a 512GB Note 10+. I also have a 1TB iPad Pro. I bought a 512GB pro also but sold it last month for $1000.

Purely curious—what do you do with 3 Max’s and a Note 10?

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
It’s not that hard to fill up half a TB if you shoot a lot of 4K video. I don’t, so I won’t be buying the 512GB. 256 GB for me, and even that probably isn’t necessary.

cvs

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
I backup everything on icloud so no problem with backing up all family iPhones.
I still have the X, skipped last year, but really need >256GB since it is full with music, photos, videos and a lot of content from dropbox that I need to access in the lab where cell signal is weak or non-existent.

In fact, I don't care about X or 11, or whatever, I could use any large display iPhone as long as the capacity was large enough. I would trade the 11 max pro 512 for an 8plus with 2TB anyday.

Same reason that I am getting the MBP 15" with 4TB, I would have been happy with even larger SSD on a 13" MBP. I don't care for i9, bells and whistles.

Wokis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
When hovering over the storage selection buttons I checked my 64GB 6S to see how much storage had been used over these past four years. 48GB and about half of that were podcasts.

Easy solution to prevent the podcast syncing to overwhelm the device seems to be switching player from the default Apple one into Overcast instead and have some stricter sync-limits set. I don't get why the podcasts need to be on the device anyway :) Said and done my library went from ~24GB to 800MB.

I suspect what with such a decent camera that my photo taking habits might change and strain that library some more. Easy solution would be to move to cloud sync but I'm here trying to not spend money on some extra cloud subscription, so that idea goes into the backburner for now.

I think that I'll just semi-regularly offload non-important photos and videos onto my iPad Mini. It makes more sense for me to have that archive on a bigger screen anyway because it's there I'm going to want to look at them in the end, and the iPad has lots more storage also. AirDrop makes the move really simple to do as well.

It's always suboptimal to start thinking of workarounds, but I'm expecting this to be some very minor bumps in my day to day use and I'd rather save the money.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I see a lot of people complaining about unable to record 4K videos on the 64GB model. If you have iCloud enabled it should be fine. I’m doing the same and have had no issues.

Depends where you take your photos. The worst case scenario is being on holiday in a foreign country where you have minimum internet connection and maximum camera use, so can't sync to iCloud fast enough.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Depends where you take your photos. The worst case scenario is being on holiday in a foreign country where you have minimum internet connection and maximum camera use, so can't sync to iCloud fast enough.

True that. Although it’ll literally need to be in thousands to fill out the space. I’m at 9365 pictures including some videos and 143 apps but still at around 33GB. 12 GB is being used by the system somewhere.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I'm using just over 128gb now on my phone. And it's just some playlists downloaded, some podcasts and audiobooks and the rest is pictures/video and an offline map in google maps. I don't feel like i'm using all that much space but there it is.
I do have kids so I record their events in 4k 60fps.

Reactions: sean000

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I'm using just over 128gb now on my phone. And it's just some playlists downloaded, some podcasts and audiobooks and the rest is pictures/video and an offline map in google maps. I don't feel like i'm using all that much space but there it is.
I do have kids so I record their events in 4k 60fps.

I download a lot of podcasts as well since I listen to them while I walk to and from work (I don't have unlimited data). I also have a lot of music, photos, and video. Those 4K 60fps videos add up, and I record my kids using it as well since they will be watching them on some ridiculously high def displays by the time they are adults. Still, I can comfortably go with the 256 GB size for now.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
I just be terrible. I’m still on a 6s Plus. I only have 64 GB but am just using 16 GB. I still use the iPod Classic for music and podcasts. I don’t know what I’d do with a huge iPhone. I prefer not having my large music library on it, even though it could easily dwarf my 160 GB iPod. I like having my music downloaded and not streamed.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Because they need the space?

There are people who want the highest quality photos on their phone, lots of offline music, or gasp, they maintain their own music library and don’t use streaming services. Same goes for video.

There’s lots of reasons to get more space, even more if you plan to keep the phone for a few years. Apps, and games in particular are going to grow in size, as time rolls on, to take advantage of the extra power and graphical capabilities of newer devices.

Even I’ve gone up a notch to 256GB, I’ve not yet maxed out my 64GB, but I’m bloody close now, where I wasn’t two years ago.

And I’m thinking I’ll try and keep the new phone for a couple of years again. I think one of the big changes (other than cameras and all of the usual stuff) next year will be 5G, and it’ll be years yet before that reaches me, so I’m not fussed for it yet.

memo90061

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

How's the note 10 compared to an iPhone? I'm thinking about buying one.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
128gb is the sweet spot for most $1000 plus phones these days. Apple knows it.

I felt like I had to get the 256gb last year cause paying $1100 plus for 64gb and planning to keep it for 2 years. I was using around 50gb. I would need to be careful.

MrEcted

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
I have a 256GB version, but I can see why someone would want 512GB. On my XS Max I was pushing 200GB.

Some people want to keep a LOT of their data local. Sometimes data caps, bad connections, etc get in the way so keeping everything local is ideal. This is especially handy if you travel a lot but want to keep a lot of music, movies, TV shows, etc available any time.

Some people like to record a lot of video and they want the best video possible, so they record in 4K 60 FPS. Just 1 minute of 4K 60 FPS eats up 400MB, so it doesn’t take long to start pushing 512GB. Also keep in mind that people who store a lot of data want some peace of mind. Nobody wants to push the full limit and eat up all 512GB, they want some breathing room.

jstar002

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2012
I know of quite some people who use their phones to record content for sites like onlyfans... take tons of pics but also videos... some even use their iphones to sell clips on sites like iwantclips.... a lot of people are using their phones to make money online now (create content) etc and as such 512 gb is the way to go.

You don't want to have to constantly delete content or have to back it up somewhere to record something new.... A clip may be 15 min... even 20 min.... I'm not talking nudity either (some people sell clips of themselves insulting/humiliating the viewer etc and yes there is a market for that).

Fact is lots of people are using their iphones to create content now as the quality of iphones are so good.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
(some people sell clips of themselves insulting/humiliating the viewer etc and yes there is a market for that).

There's a market for insulting people? How the hell do I sign up for that? One of the few things I've been training my entire life for :D

BOT, I'm still happy with 256GB, my lossless/High-Res music collection/obsession has expanded to well over a terabyte now and I'm still happy streaming it from my dedicated music server in full quality and using Apple Music/Tidal to fill in the gaps.

I do keep some choice albums on my phone in case I'm out of service coverage and I am toying with the idea of going back to maxing out local storage again with my next iPhone. I still don't think I need to, but what the heck, nobody ever complained about not running out of space.

Reactions: Arran

anitak1982

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2017
West Central Ohio
Do you backup your photo's and documents to the cloud? I got a bigger phone but saw it was a waste unless I back up to the cloud. So the extra space just sits there. If I am doing it wrong tell me.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I've heard plenty of people regret not having enough storage. I've never heard anyone regret having too much storage.

Reactions: Runs For Fun
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.