People who complete Swap Upgrade....Please share your experience/procedure

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pinwanger, Jun 19, 2009.

1. pinwanger macrumors member

For people that received their iPhone @ home or @ store.....please tell us how did you do it so the rest of us can follow =)

2. JRod993 macrumors member

yea please, I am going this afternoon to do the swap upgrade.

3. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

It went fine...

1. Activate the new iPhone on the original line that was upgraded

2. Swap sim cards

3. Re-Sync phones in iTunes

4. Claypidgeon macrumors member

Doing this right now actually. Here's what I did to prep:

1) Upgrade old iPhone (1st Gen) to OS 3.0
    2) Got all available app updates on the phone using the standard Apple Store app as of this morning
    3) Took screenshots of each of my home screens (so I can re-arrange my apps back to the original if it gets messed up).
    4) Synced all the pictures (and screenshots) to Aperture (my plan is to put these back on the new phone as a separate album so the "old" and "new" images don't commingle :p )
    5) Currently doing a "normal" sync on the old phone to iTunes

------------

My understanding is that once the sync is finished, I can eject the old phone, plug in the new one, and it will ask me if I want to restore from the old device. After that I should be able to do a normal sync and away I go. I'll update to let you know how it goes.

5. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

I think it would be wise to activate the new phone on the upgrade line, first.

6. cflorio macrumors member

Looks like I can't get a cell data connection.

I had a first gen Iphone, it seemed to activate fine at the apple store. iTunes at home moved all my data over fine. I can place calls fine. I can use wifi fine. edge/3g is broken for me.

Attached Files:

7. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

You need to add a iphone 3g Data plan to your AT&T account...$30 a month

8. JIGPhone macrumors newbie

9. Future2001 macrumors member

I did this today in store...

When I preordered I told Rod my AT&T guy I wanted to upgrade swap... He said cool. Paid money and left store. Today went in got Rod and he proceded to accept the 3gs on the upgradable line... I had to sign a new contract on that line... Then I gave him my moto q to use for that line... He removed all the iPhone related stuff off that line... Added the imei number from the q on it... Activated the iPhone... And voilà.... Took a while cause AT&T system went down a few times... But everything worked out fine...

I'll be upgrade swapping next year too....

10. Iron Chef macrumors member

I'd like to know the experiences people are having of doing upgrade swaps.

I used my sister's non-iPhone line to get the 3GS and have since sold my 3G.

I'd like to know if I should activate the 3GS on her line first, and then call ATT and tell them I want to do an upgrade swap?

Or should I not activate it at all, call ATT first and have them do their thing.

11. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input. I hope more people share their experience.

My situation is a little different and I hope someone experiences before I go in tonight.

I don't have the sim or the phone of the upgrade line here (mom uses it, but lives far away), so I'm wondering how they'll activate and then swap.

12. nippyjun macrumors 65816

If I have an old iPhone and am receiving my new phone at home to replace it is there any need to put the old sim card in the new phone or not? I thought that you just attach to my computer and iTunes would ask if I want to restore from backup or set up as new phone. And since it's just replacing my old phone I would just restore from backup. Is that correct?

Also how does AT&T know to change my plan for the new phone as my current plan is for the original 2g iPhone.

13. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Went by great for me. Activated the phone on my dads number in the store. Went in the car, took out the new SIM from the iPhone 3G S and put it into my dads phone. Took the SIM from my BlackBerry, put it in the iPhone... activated it.

And I also just got off the phone with AT&T. They removed the data plan from my dads number since he's using a Samsung flip phone.

Easy.:)

14. xxMACxx macrumors regular

Walked in the AT&T store and told them what I wanted... gave them my phone number and drivers license, swiped my credit card and walked out. 10 minute process and had no issues.

15. Sport73 macrumors member

Sport73

Sorry, just to clarify:

My wife has the 2g, I have the 3g. Plan to pass the 3g down and upgrade to 3gs; used her line (family plan account) to receive upgrade pricing.

SO, I'm hearing the best process is to:

1. Activate the 3GS using the NEW SIM and on her line (as it was 'intended').
    2. Swap SIM with my 3G.
    3. Restore and revert to backups on both phones with appropriate data/apps.

CORRECT?

OR,

Since my wife's 2g is already on the Family Data plan (and has a 3g card inside - I checked) - should I discard the new SIM, put my SIM in the 3GS and her SIM in my 3g?

HELP VERY MUCH APPRECIATED - AWAITING FEDEX ARRIVAL ANY MOMENT.

16. fabianvs macrumors regular

fabianvs

sounds like everyones procedures went smoothly, can't wait to do it next week :)

17. xxMACxx macrumors regular

Walked in the AT&T store and told them what I wanted... gave them my phone number and drivers license, swiped my credit card and walked out. 10 minute process and had no issues.

18. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i go in. tell them i want to upgrade swap. they do it. no problem. i happy :)

19. sk2sep2304 macrumors regular

sk2sep2304

Restore? Then sync?

20. Sport73 macrumors member

Sport73

Yes,

After you do a restore, it asks you if you want to recover from a backup; the drop down should allow you to select the phone/person you want to use.

21. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Is there a way to change the IMEI online or do we have to call it in?

22. Sport73 macrumors member

Sport73

My understanding is that you have to call in, but everything should work even without that step, so it's more of a 'heads up' to AT&T so that your account is set up with complete accuracy.

Not sure though, STILL WAITING FOR FEDEX; and no one else seems ready to confirm the steps I outlined above.

23. sk2sep2304 macrumors regular

sk2sep2304

thanks!

To restore, I just hit the restore button on itunes? No need to get into any modes on the iphone? Just leave it on?

Can I just pick my itunes profile when activating?

24. sk2sep2304 macrumors regular

sk2sep2304

have to call it in...they'll ask for account name and last four digits of SS number.