People who sign with their name on emails...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chriscrk, Sep 20, 2012.

1. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

Or any other medium in which your name is already visible in another way (Facebook messages, forum posts, etc.), why do they still feel the need to sign with their name at the end of the message?

I've always found it weird, and you'd think people would realise it's truly unnecessary!
    The only way I see it is from people that were used to doing it when, say, writing hand written letters... Or they still see it as a formal or polite way to end a message, a "signature". To be honest, I don't see the need for it, and it kind of irks me.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Some email providers don't include your registered name or they use a different way of sending. I know for Penn State if you send an email from your Penn State webmail account using the IMAP/POP backend with an email client, the sender shows up as being from "imap@psu.edu" and unless you include your name, the receiver has no idea who send them the message. Even the reply function when sent an email that way doesn't work. I'd much rather receive an email knowing it's from Intell than one from orangemuppet4411@Macrumors.com.

--Intell

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Several reasons:
    1. It's polite.
    2. It lets them know I sent the email. Other people can access my computer and reply to things for me, and hopefully if they do so they reply as themselves (using their name). Using my own name is just another reassurance that it's from me.
    3. It's a habit.
    4. It lets people know what I prefer to be called (abbreviations/full name/nickname/etc).

5. chriscrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

I can understand it in situations like that!
    I've just seen a lot of people do it when their emails still show their name/nickname clearly in the title of the mail, or on Facebook even.

----------

Yeah, the polite thing makes sense (I guess it would be more of a generational thing as well...)
    I don't see your second point being convincing, because anyone can do that as well, but I see what you're going at.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

7. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

I do it so that if someone doesn't look at who sent the email (weird) knows who sent it, without seeming awkward saying "My name is Comeagain".

~ Comeagain?

8. TSE macrumors 68030

I do it because that's how I write letters. You know, those weird white rectangular things you write on? :p

It's customary to end it with your name.

-TSE

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I don't know about it being generational, I'm 22, I grew up with internet and email, and have barely sent a physical letter in my life, but I still recognise it as being the polite thing to do. I don't sign my name for facebook messages or emails to friends though, only really to strangers or people I work for/with.

As for the second part, its not so much to trick people, just a little assurance that the message came from you (I have no idea if this applies to others, but its part of why I do it).

10. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Do it in the military, so I am in the habit of doing it for all of my emails. Emails only though, no Facebook messages or anything else.

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

You wouldn't believe how many people spell my name wrong, even when I have my name right there at the end of the email.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Everyone I work with puts their name on the end of an email. It must be a thing in our industry.

I always do it too unless my email and the email I'm replying to is only 1 line. No need to sign quick questions.

13. Roller macrumors 68020

I always sign emails with my first name (if I want to be informal), my first and last name (if I want to be informal but don't know the recipient well), or my full name, title(s), and contact information (most formal, and/or for people who may need to get in touch with me by other than email).

Often, not signing an email comes off as rude, especially if the message is to ask for or complain about something.

I never sign forum posts, because my online name is readily visible to the left and I have no need or desire to add contact information.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Maybe that explains it all. Perhaps someone e-mailed Joe Paterno to tell him that Sandusky was ****ing a kid in the shower, JoePa didn't know who it was from so he couldn't follow up for more details and dropped the issue. Simple mistake!

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Could be. I do it at work.

Jessica

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

When I call someone that probably has me saved in their address book, I still say, "Hi, this is Ian calling."

It's just polite to tell the recipient of the email or phone call who you are.

I don't think it's a generational thing, since I'm not old.

17. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Probably. I have never had an email signature, or ever bothered to put my name on the bottom.

If they're being emailed by me, they probably know who I am.

18. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Unlikely, Penn State only started offering the IMAP/POP backend access in 2004.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Do not forget emails often times get forwarded and the header infomation is often times stripped out. That way you can look at that info.

20. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I only do it when writing emails. You know, as a tradition, since we did that also when writing letters on paper.

Lewis82

21. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Really? Does this exist? My English professor will NOT respond to emails without proper greetings and closings. It's just proper etiquette and makes you seem professional and formal. I couldn't imagine sending an email at work without, not only my name, but my contact information and title. I have it set as a signature to avoid having to type it out every time.

22. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

If you're writing to family/friends I guess you could leave it out. But really I just think it 'completes' the email.

Opps, almost forgot...

-tech4all ;)

23. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Its just business etiquette. I first had it drilled into my head in college. Ever since then, its all I've seen in professional settings. I now do it for everything out of habit...it just seems more complete.

24. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

I've got a signature for work email, and for personal I sign it whenever I feel it is necessary. This usually DOESN'T include emails to friends, or continued conversations with most people.

It DOES include emails to multiple people "Hi all, ... Regards, Matt" people I don't know, especially if it's work/education/similar. It's polite and gives a good impression I think.

I've never signed a facebook message :p

25. leenak macrumors 68020

I'm amazed people think its weird to have signatures in email.