Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I would never use a module with a heatspreader in the iMac or MacBook.
I have read of one person who managed to fit it, but... those machines were not designed for these modules.

Send it back for a different brand, preferably a brand that says it is intel Mac compatible. Otherwise, the Corsair or Crucial DDR2-667 generic SODIMMs will probably be OK.

jonnylink

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
very easy, go to crucial.com and you can search by your computer, easy as pie

Agreed. You will save money and be happy with better system performance. Adding memory is meant to be pretty simple for a user to do. I've always used crucial and never had a problem. Their products and service are pretty great. Don't try to get super cheap memory or you'll probably regret it.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Because the bus isn't fast enough to take advantage of the speed.

It would be like putting high octane gas into a Honda Accord. Sure, it's good gas, but it's not going to make your car any faster.

The OP never said which iMac he had. Wouldn't the new iMac's with the 800Mhz system bus take advantage of the DDR2 800 ram?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yes

The OP never said which iMac he had. Wouldn't the new iMac's with the 800Mhz system bus take advantage of the DDR2 800 ram?

Good point. I just assumed the old model.

NO HEATSPREADERS for ram in apple computers. Takes up too much space and it's an absolute waste.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5

Forgive me, but we have done this question in these forums many times already. There is a Guide to intel Mac RAM for reference. The answer is - no it is locked at 667 due to the hardware memory controller on the motherboard.

Who offers the best no name brand RAM for Mac that's reliable and cheap?

That's a contradiction in terms. Generic or no-name brand RAM by definition can have different components and construction from month to month, or even week to week. Therefore, if Patriot or JetRAM or some in-house brand RAM worked for another user last month, there's no assurance you are getting the same RAM when you buy it this month. It could be a different chip entirely under the same label.

You can take a chance on generic DDR2-667 RAM and there is a 90 - 95% chance it will work in your intel Mac. You may save $10 or if you are unlucky or the seller is providing substandard RAM you may pay considerably more in trouble and return shipping costs.

As usual, however, I recommend choosing a reputable dealer who tests and guarantees compatibility with your Mac machine, and offers a no cost return (no shipping, no restocking) if it doesn't work.

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
Therefore, if Patriot or JetRAM or some in-house brand RAM worked for another user last month, there's no assurance you are getting the same RAM when you buy it this month. It could be a different chip entirely under the same label.

Since when is Patriot generic?
Last I checked they often used Micron chips, and they always come highly recommended by overclockers on the PC front.

JimmyDreams

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
My 2.8Ghz iMac is my first Mac. I upgraded from 1GB to 4GB RAM from OWC.

It was very easy. :)

I WAS taken aback a little by the plastic 'pull tab' that allows the memory sticks to be removed....i was afraid I was going to break it since the sticks require some tugging to remove. But whatever that plastic stuff is made out of...well, it's tougher than it looks!!:eek:

You'll be fine. Just remember to put a towel down so you don't scratch the front of your new monitor!!!!:eek:

JimmyD
:apple::apple::apple::apple:

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
I have a new 24" 2.4GHZ Intel iMac with the standard 1GB of memory installed by Apple.

The second memory module slot is open. Can I plug a 2GB into this second slot? Will the machine operate properly on an asymmetrical ram configutation (ie 1GB & 2GB)?

Important: Has anyone else tried this? Results?

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
My 2.8Ghz iMac is my first Mac. I upgraded from 1GB to 4GB RAM from OWC.

It was very easy. :)

I WAS taken aback a little by the plastic 'pull tab' that allows the memory sticks to be removed....i was afraid I was going to break it since the sticks require some tugging to remove. But whatever that plastic stuff is made out of...well, it's tougher than it looks!!:eek:

You'll be fine. Just remember to put a towel down so you don't scratch the front of your new monitor!!!!:eek:

JimmyD
:apple::apple::apple::apple:

Same here, I thought my iMac's plastic pull tab was going to break but finally I took a deep breath and just tugged and it came out. Up to 4GB and loving the 10sec boot time!

Southern

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
London, UK
How timely...

I managed to get round to installing an extra gig in my iMac last night, didn't even need to sit it on its face as indicated in the manual (scratch my iMac? Just you try it!) and it was so painless to get sorted. Compared to my first generation iMac this is child's play to upgrade and at least you don't have to chuck out unused RAM to upgrade.

Southern

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
London, UK
I have a new 24" 2.4GHZ Intel iMac with the standard 1GB of memory installed by Apple.

The second memory module slot is open. Can I plug a 2GB into this second slot? Will the machine operate properly on an asymmetrical ram configutation (ie 1GB & 2GB)?

Important: Has anyone else tried this? Results?

Assymetrical RAM should be doable, just make sure the RAM is of compatible type and decent brand (Cosair, Kingston or Crucial are all good!). I think the maximum capacity is 2Gb per slot, actually. Don't quote me on that though (in before someone quotes me anyway)

Leeloo the 5th

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2005
Belgium
I would never use a module with a heatspreader in the iMac or MacBook.
I have read of one person who managed to fit it, but... those machines were not designed for these modules.

Send it back for a different brand, preferably a brand that says it is intel Mac compatible. Otherwise, the Corsair or Crucial DDR2-667 generic SODIMMs will probably be OK.
Thanks for the advice, I will send it back. I managed to pull out the original module (did like someone else wrote: took a deep breath and tucked) and put it back in, and it was indeed super easy. The heatspreader is definitely a problem.

Could anyone recommend a good website for buying Mac-compatible Ram in Europe, with prices in Euro and VAT and shipping calculations for Belgium? Thanks again!

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
is crucial a reputable ram company?

Crucial is ok, I ordered a couple of times over there and never got any problem.

Could anyone recommend a good website for buying Mac-compatible Ram in Europe, with prices in Euro and VAT and shipping calculations for Belgium? Thanks again!

crucial has an european branch. They ship in the United Kingdom and follow the european VAT rules. If you want more information in Dutch you can go to intermactivity. There are a lot of threads about ram in the forum, the last one is here

Leeloo the 5th

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2005
Belgium
Crucial is ok, I ordered a couple of times over there and never got any problem.

crucial has an european branch. They ship in the United Kingdom and follow the european VAT rules. If you want more information in Dutch you can go to intermactivity. There are a lot of threads about ram in the forum, the last one is here
Thanks, but I'd rather not order from Crucial. I've been reading some stuff about them on this forum... With their dynamic pricing (the prices adjust automatically according to your OS, web browser, cookies,... ) and they're not even that competitive, I'd rather go with another seller.

Gaz545

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2008
Because the bus isn't fast enough to take advantage of the speed.

It would be like putting high octane gas into a Honda Accord. Sure, it's good gas, but it's not going to make your car any faster.

the bus is 800MHz, is it not?

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
If I remember right there is a notch on the bottom side, you want to make sure the noth is closer to the right side. In other words, you may be putting it in the wrong way. Be careful not to force it, you'd be better off taking in to the Apple store if you're not sure of yourself.

apple stores arent authorized to install 3rd party RAM.

i recently started a thread asking about a video on how to install it, its here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/installation.cfm

just click the RAM tab on the bottom of the page, then select imac, oh, and by the way, just wanted to say...pie.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Yes it's easy. A 1GB upgrade is probably enough. Make sure you get DDR2-667, DDR2-800 is a waste of money.

I think that what is "enough" is entirely according to the circumstances of the individual doing the upgrade. I went from 2GB to 4GB in my 24" iMac because Windows in Fusions was causing my machine to become nearly unusable it was so slow. 4GB cured it.

I bought 2 x 2GB sticks here in Japan of Taiwanese-made UMAX RAM for about $70 total. I think it is only distributed in Asia but it worked perfectly.

Whatever you buy you should check to see if it specifies Mac-compatibility prior to purchasing.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
so i was looking at the imac's instruction manual and came accross the memory upgrade page. it looks easy enough. i might want to give it a shot.

what size and how much should i be spending?

I did my own, after watching the videos on OWC over and over. Easy as pie. Oh I got my memory 2x2gig sticks from OWC as well. Go for it and good luck...

JohanCruyff

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2007
Italy
Where did you buy it that cheap ? I was looking for an extra gigabyte for my powerbook last night and crucial was around 80 euro + VAT.

Here in Italy, Crucial RAM was a bit more expensive than the "German" TakeMS one.
But elsewhere, I think one could spend less than 100€...

Anyway, I bought my 4 Gb here (hope the link works).

Link:
http://www.buydifferent.it/index.ph...ducts_id=234&zenid=nisa9fub3u0pqnbjgns9d05lh6

Manifacturer:
http://www.takems.com/salespoint.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.