people who upgraded memory on their own. shine in please.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by steveoh, Sep 7, 2007.

1. steveoh macrumors newbie

steveoh

so i was looking at the imac's instruction manual and came accross the memory upgrade page. it looks easy enough. i might want to give it a shot.

what size and how much should i be spending?

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

very easy, go to crucial.com and you can search by your computer, easy as pie

3. Aggamemnon macrumors member

Aggamemnon

4. Nutter macrumors 6502

Yes it's easy. A 1GB upgrade is probably enough. Make sure you get DDR2-667, DDR2-800 is a waste of money.

5. negatv1 macrumors 6502

A monkey missing a couple fingers could do it.

6. HD303 macrumors regular

HD303

Could you please explain to someone who does not really understand why the 800 is a waste of money? I'm thinking of buying a 2gb card and any help would greatly be appreciated.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Because the bus isn't fast enough to take advantage of the speed.

It would be like putting high octane gas into a Honda Accord. Sure, it's good gas, but it's not going to make your car any faster.

8. hardhatmac macrumors regular

hardhatmac

I just ordered 4 gb for my iMac from OWC......it'll get here on monday. I am a little scared because I have never installed ram in any machine.....

but from what I read the hardest part is not stripping out the screw...other then that, it's a walk in the park.

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah...

Yeah, pretty much. A trained monkey could do it.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

MacRumors Guide to Intel Mac RAM

Installing RAM in the iMac (and MacBook) is easy enough with 2 caveats

1) Get the right size screwdriver to fit the screw tightly, use no other. Be SERIOUS about bearing down on the driver to hold the tip in as you make the first turn. Do not let the driver ride up and out of the screw, otherwise you can ruin the screw and you'd be...well... drivered.

2) When you push the RAM into the socket, you cannot see what you are doing. The RAM will go in about 1 inch and stop. IT IS NOT INSTALLED YET. You need to get both thumbs on the RAM and push it in 1/8" (2mm) more to get the pins fully seated into the contacts. I can't stress this enough - 50% of RAM 'failure' on these machines is actually a failure to push it in hard enough.

Note: I have edited the Installing RAM Guide with this info

11. BennyK macrumors 6502

Installing ram is as easy as changing my kid's toys batteries. Really easy.

12. kygeographer macrumors member

I did my upgrade in about 3 minutes, from the time it took to unplug everything, to reconnecting and plugging it all back in.

13. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

14. gvg45 macrumors member

Replacing RAM was really easy. Just follow the instructions in your Everything Mac book and it should be a breeze.

Assuming you have 1G in your iMac now, I would buy a 2GB module. That should be plenty, but if you decide you ever want to max out your RAM, you would only need to buy 1 more module.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item-maillist/Other World Computing/5300DDR2S2GB/

15. richkent72 macrumors regular

It took me longer to find a screwdriver than it took to actually fit the RAM. :D

16. stuff99 macrumors 6502

17. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

I'll weigh in here and say that I put 2 chips in my new 2.8 GHz iMac (24 inch model). Each chip was 2 GB, for a total of 4 GB.

I bought them from Ramjet:

http://www.ramjet.com/imi.asp

It was a piece of cake to do, didn't cost much money, and it sure increases my ability to run a lot of memory-intensive applications at once! Hooray!

By the way, I'm not affiliated with Ramjet at all..... just a happy customer. I've relied on them for many years.

18. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

If youre smart enough to do one of these:
    [​IMG]

Then you have the skills to upgrade every single component in a computer.

Dont waste money on name brands like Crucial or high grade memory on a mac, it doesnt make sense. High end PC memory is meant to handle overclocking, you cant do that on a mac so dont get it. If Apple doesnt go for high end ram then why should you? Just go to newegg.com and find some memory with a high user rating and cheap price (G Skill seems to be the new star for great quality memory at very low prices, theres also Rosewill).

19. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

'failure to push it in hard enough.' Canada Ram, how dare you?:eek:

20. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

it's very, very easy.

as said ^ make sure the screwdriver is aboot the right size. seems like most problems are with 20" not the 24"

hardest part is gently laying the system face down before sticking in the memory. use a towel for padding ;)

21. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I bought a 1gig module from Newegg.com. I'm a big fan of Transcend memory. My memory with shipping was $48-, and it's been working great! I was pleasantly surprised at the big improvement in performance with just a single gig. The money was well spent.

22. Leeloo the 5th macrumors member

Leeloo the 5th

After reading all this I'm starting to feel worse than a monkey....
    I bought this: http://www.memoryc.com/products/des...5300-667MHz_SO_DIMM_200_pin_module/index.html which seems right, I opened the ram door without problem but I never managed to push the module in, like I couldn't produce enough strength. Is there really so much resistance?
    I wanted to take out the original module on the right and put it back in to have a feel about the strength needed, but I didn't even manage to pull that one out. I couldn't get a grip on the plastic strip.

What should I do to install my new memory module? Ask a second person to help me by pushing against the oposite side of the computer?
    Thanks for any help!!

23. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

It definitely shouldn't be so hard. Don't force the RAM, while removing or installing it! Just take it easy. Maybe see if somebody you know has done it before, because you should have to push hard or pull hard.

I'm really surprised about this....

24. Hibbsy macrumors member

When did it I was surprised about the amount of force needed, I had to brace the imac with one hand to prevent it moving on the table.

PCB was bending slightly before it finally went home. Shouldn't be that tight, I can understand a good firm fit but it did seem bit OTT.

25. stockcerts macrumors 65816

If I remember right there is a notch on the bottom side, you want to make sure the noth is closer to the right side. In other words, you may be putting it in the wrong way. Be careful not to force it, you'd be better off taking in to the Apple store if you're not sure of yourself.