people who upgraded to 4s from a 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lewys, Nov 30, 2011.

1. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

To the people who upgraded to an iPhone 4s from and iPhone 4.
    After owning the 4s for a while now do you think it was worth the upgrade from a 4?

I have owned an iPhone 4 since launch and was thinking about getting an iPhone 4s as a present for christmas. Are you happy with the upgrade? Do you now think it is worth it?

Also did you get the same colour as before? i own a black 4 but was thinking about getting a white 4s so it looks different from my previous phone.

Thanks

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Another thread on this ?

3. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Do I love the 4S?

Yes.

Is it worth the upgrade? Nope, not even close.

If I were paying for it out of my own money, I would never have done it.

I love the nominal speed increase but the better camera and Siri is not worth another 2 year contract commitment, plus the cost of the h/w.
    Not to me anyway.

The iPhone 4 was almost the perfect phone.

If you live in an area where you can enjoy the faster AT&T data speeds, then it might be a more difficult choice.

4. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

If you have to break your contract and pay a termination fee, then no way. Only upgrade from a 4 if someone is willing to lend you an upgrade eligibility.

5. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

6. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Perfectly explained. Not worth it at all imo since yearly upgrades are gone.

7. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I upgraded from a 4 to a 4S, I believe it is a good upgrade. I hear what you are saying about the colour, I went from black to white simply because it was "different" and felt like a completely new phone.

I am not on contract and bought contract free.

8. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I love my iPhone 4S but compared to the iPhone 4, the difference isn't that big. Yes, it is faster, and Siri is great to have, but overall not a big difference. Having said that, I always want to have the latest and greatest and since this is the best iPhone ever made, I couldn't ignore it.

9. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

I think it was worth it. The snappiness and camera upgrades alone made it worth it for me. Selling my iPhone 4 on eBay for more than I paid for my 64GB helped with the decision too. It helps when you can get paid to upgrade!

10. lewys thread starter macrumors 6502

lewys

Just a few more bits of info.

I bought the iPhone 4 handset outright as i have a sim only contract that is only £12 a month and i can cancel it with a months notice so i would keep this contract and just get the handset as a present for christmas.

Also my iPhone 4 was one of the first ones so it does suffer from crappy signal but it isn't that bad but my friends always have signal when i don't. i also can't really get 3g in many places where as my friends iPhone 4 on the same network has quite a few more bars than me in most places and nearly always has 3g

11. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Agreed. Another big point for me was the greatly increased browsing speed. I surf the web a lot on my iPhones, and the upgrade in browser speed on the 4S is definitely worth it to me.

So what if the 4S doesn't look any different from the 4? I use my iPhone; I don't stare at the casing all day or show it off to my friends. :D

12. lordofthereef, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I don't think it's worth it, unless you are getting something else out of it...

My fiance has an "all you can eat" plan with Verizon through her work. Catch is that she needs to pay for her handset (they did give her a free Droid Incredible to USE, but she hated it). So, I used my upgrade, sold my iPhone 4 (AT&T), and bought a Verizon iPhone 4 for my fiance. THAT made things worth it. Had we not wanted to dot hat, I probably would have kept the 4 and not bothered with an upgrade this year.

The additional speed would be nice if developers would make applications that utilize the extra hardware capabilities of the 4S. Unfortunately this would alienate the 3GS and 4 users, cutting potential sales, so we likely won't see that happening.

I talk on the phone at least an hour a day and I have noticed fewer dropped calls. I have had exactly one since I bought the phone on launch (with the 4 I might have had 2-4 in that amount of time). Not sure if I attribute that to the phone or not, but it is what it is. I just had the dropped call yesterday. Up until then I had thought the dropped calls issue was solved, but sadly it has not.

The battery issue, which isn't SO bad for me, is still a problem. Supposedly we will have a fix for this. I won't hold my breath because, to be honest, Apple has claimed software fixes for hardware issues before. Hopefully this isn't one of those things.

13. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I like the phone, but I only think its worth it if you can sell your 4 to offset the 4S costs. I am happy with my decision because it did not cost me a penny after selling my 4 and I have another line on my family plan eligible next April so I can upgrade again.

14. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

Sadly, yes. 183.34th one to be exact!

15. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

If the yellower/slightly washed-out screen wasn't there I'd be much more enthusiastic about the 4S but that has honestly taken quite a sheen off the phone.

Is the upgrade from the 4 to the 4S worth it? Yes and No.

We paid €230 for the 32GB phone (I wish we'd got the 64GB but ...) and my wife get my old iPhone 4. The extending the contract doesn't really come into it as we'd be sticking with Telekom anyway and it was time to renew one of the contracts. The plus side is that my wife has stopped paying nearly twice contract amount a month (she was talking a lot) as she has moved up to a better tariff.

For the phone itself, it is much snappier. Sometimes you'll notice it, other times you won't as sometimes the difference is only a second or less.

The speaker is better, though as noted in another thread here they seem to be applying a weird equaliser effect on custom ringtones that means they are sounding worse on the 4S than on the 4.

The camera is better, it catches more detail but the results are, to my eyes, slightly washed out compared to the 4. You could describe that as being more natural but certain things, like wood tones I think look better on the 4. Also Fries :) check out these photos (not mine)

iPhone 4S
    [​IMG]

iPhone 4
    [​IMG]

Best improvement of the camera though is the green splodge that appears on photos taken in certain (CFL) lighting conditions is gone. This alone is a big thing for me. (You can see a little of it in the above iPhone 4 picture, look at the right side of the chicken in the middle of the shot, you can see it is a bit greener than off to the left)

GPU - It might be faster but I haven't noticed it yet in the things I do.

Siri is cool though she/he/it has good days and bad days, particularly with my quite mild Northern Irish accent.

Screen - largely the same as the 4 except a little/lot yellower (depending on what tint your 4 had). From reports here and elsewhere in "proper" reviews its been noted that the screens have a different tint

Battery - Honestly I think this is more an iOS 5 bug than a 4S hardware issue. Particularly from having seen where device loads were typical sitting under iOS 5 compared to iOS 4.

Data Speed - It is much quicker than the 4, for me on 3G its about double (or a little over) the speed. Great except that Telekom have a shallow incline for the first X seconds of an download, so small data transactions are overly going to benefit.

So, if I could talk myself out of having bought one I probably would. However I admit I have a problem and that resisting the newest versions of the iPhone / iPad is difficult for me.

16. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

THIS COMMENT WILL EXPIRE WHEN THE NEXT IPHONE IS RELEASED! :rolleyes:

17. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

The internet speed alone was worth it, everything else is extra.

18. ranoi, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  19. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

For the reduced price? In my opinion, yes it totally is. You can sell the 4 for more than the price of a subsidized 4S and there are enough changes that make it worthwhile. Also, my guess is that there will soon be 4S specific apps coming out.

Probably would not have gotten it if I had too pay full price though.

20. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

If it doesn't cost you anything, go for it. If it does, then don't. I upgraded essentially for free, but had I paid for it, I would be very disappointed. Maybe in the summer when I'm taking more photos I'll think differently, but I haven't used the camera much, and while Siri is cool, I don't use it that much.

21. JulesK macrumors 6502

Worth it for me because of the camera

I had the 4 since launch, and AT&T let me upgrade on October 26 (got the phone about two weeks ago). I've been quite happy with AT&T service, particularly data speed/availability, where I live, so I don't have a problem with a new contract. (My brother-in-law got my 4, an upgrade from his 3S, and is very happy with it, so all is good.)

Most of the time, I honestly can't tell the difference between the two. The 4S is faster, and you can tell the difference, but it's not that big a difference and for the most part wouldn't have justified the cost of the new phone even at the upgrade price. I did go with 64GB as I was filling up the 4.

The one big difference (as Siri has been hit or miss, mostly miss, in the time I've owned it) is the camera. It's still not a replacement for a great point-and-shoot (e.g., Canon S95 or S100), but the lag in getting the camera up and ready on the 4 caused me to miss many shots, which was frustrating. The iOS5 unlock straight to camera feature (which obviously works on the 4) and the faster speed of the 4S make enough of difference that the iPhone 4S camera is now at least comparable to a competent point-and-shoot (although, obviously, only a digital zoom, but having more megapixels helps with the cropping). Since I always have my phone with me, it's the camera I have available, so this is huge plus for me.

But if the camera weren't better, it wouldn't have been worth it.

22. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I owned an iPhone 4 from Verizon on launch day until about 2 weeks ago. Gave it to my wife. Got a DROID RAZR. Returned the Droid RAZR. Got an iPhone 4S.

If you really dig:
    - Gaming
    - Using the camera
    - Siri

Sure. They're improved, and with the dual core and updated graphics games like INFINITY BLADE II look great!

If you don't really use anything that's CPU intensive to make any use of the dual cores, or if you don't use the camera (or care about it) then no. Not at all.

I'm a photophile so the camera alone made it worth it to me as I constantly snap photo's w/ my iPhone (since I can't take my DSLR and gear w/ me everywhere).

Outside of the camera, and the fact I do enjoy a good engaging game from time to time... I probably wouldn't have upgraded. Since I am a bit of a photo junkee it was worth it for me.

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Basically, if you're comfortable with eBay, and unlocking/jailbreaking your previous phone to sell, then pretty much every upgrade will be worth it. Selling your previous model during the right timeframe after launch of the next model will always significantly defray the cost of buying the next model; and if you're eligible for a subsidized upgrade, it will typically pay for that upgrade outright.

I upgraded from a black iPhone 4 to a white iPhone 4S. I initially wanted a white 4 when the 4 first came out, but that obviously wasn't in the cards. Since then I had been on the fence about what color to get for the 4S, until the first 64GB AT&T model available at a store near me happened to be white.

Was it worth it me? Absolutely. The camera, the extra speed which I know will only be more readily apparent as iOS 5.x gets updated and the 4 starts to run slower on it, the HSPA+ (since I tether), and the 64GB capacity make it all worth it. SIRI is icing on the cake; not critical, but I make use of it now and then.

Had I never upgraded, I probably would've been okay with keeping the iPhone 4. But now that I have the 4S, I wouldn't think of returning it and going back to my 4.

24. Aljamaki macrumors newbie

Good to know. I planned to upgrade when the iPhone 5 became available, but my Droid Charge has been annoying me. I'm on my third device since April 15. If this upgrade to Gingerbread doesn't solve the problems, then I plan to get the 4S on the available upgrade on my family plan. Then pass it to my wife after the iPhone 5 comes out.

25. loyalist macrumors 6502

I upgraded to the 4S from the 4 because I was eligible for an upgrade and sold the 4 when it still had a high value. Anyway, I might be regretting this move if the 5 comes out next year. I love the faster network speed but overall it's not worth it. I'm hoping that my upgrade will be pushed up like previous years so I can get the 5 at launch day. :)