People with jailbroken iPads answer please

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by ny2nctova, Jul 23, 2010.

1. ny2nctova macrumors member

ny2nctova

Are you satisfied with the jailbroken ipad?

Does it lagg more since its jailbroken?

Also is it slower now that you jailbroke it?

2. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Very satisfied.

Probably lags less since I did the virtual memory hack.

Not slower at all. If anything may be faster.

3. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Agree. Agree. Agree. Agree. Love the VM hack. Took it off for a day after using for a while and couldn't stand the iPad without it! It's obviously back on (just saved my plist files for re-use)

4. iSlanderous macrumors regular

Faster with more control. You can make sure apps like ipod, dont stay on in the background if you don't want them.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Love it. With Backgrounder, CategoriesSB, InfiniDock, and Circuitous, I'm thinking it's better than iOS4 will be when it finally comes out.

6. newdeal macrumors 68020

Totally agreed but I hope ios4 on the iPad will handle multitasking and folders with a better ui than the iPhone does. Hopefully they have foldersin the dock show up as stacks and multitasking more like expose or even top sites on safari with screenshot previews

7. rikbrown macrumors regular

Oh what do I need to do to prevent that? It's driving me insane seeing iPod appear in Circuitious.

8. iSlanderous macrumors regular

backgrounder

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

My ipad is JB'en for categories. I hate having an untidy ipad screen. The only other two things i use is 3G unrestrictor & displayout

10. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I love my ipad, jailbreak actually makes it a viable laptop replacement for most tasks outside of flash and heavy duty productivity. VM hack makes safari usable with more than 1 tab open, categories, infinidock, sbssettings and iconoclasm are a must as well.

11. kilidar macrumors member

I just rolled back from 3.2.1 for the jailbreak couldn't wait any longer, I had previously jailbroken the pad on uk launch day, and only had the chance to use un-jailbroken iPad after I upgraded to 3.2.1, the battery life is the same, iPad is not really useable without backgrounder. If os4's multitasking on the iPad is like the iPhone then I will stick to 3.2 with backgrounder and circuitous.

12. iSlanderous macrumors regular

one of the major reasons i bought the iPad was the jailbreak. It becomes worlds more useful with jailbreak. Noteables are:
    Root access
    Video out for everything
    Mouse support
    VNC to iPad
    customize-ability
    On the fly brightness controls
    backgrounding of apps
    fast switching between thoes backgrounded apps
    run unauthorized apps etc
    List goes on and on.

13. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

In agreement with all of the above. The iPad (especially with the VM hack) is much better when jailbroken.

14. CorruptedSanity macrumors member

15. mixvio macrumors 6502

16. georgee2face macrumors member

How about printing directly to a networked printer? any jail-Break apps for that?
    Mike

17. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

You can get an apple app forr that. Several in fact. Whether you like them or not is a different story. I'm hit and miss on that stuff.

18. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Great thread. I'm one of those on the fence with jailbreaking (I'm currently running stock 3.2.1). A little background on me: I love to tweak things on computers, phones, iPods, etc. In fact, I have a rooted moto droid 1 that I love tweaking and have a lot of fun doing so.

However, I have done the jailbreakme.com once and i was a little lost with the whole cydia setup so I restored back but kinda yearning to do it again.

I mostly want to play my nes and snes roms the most and eventually zotdd psx4ipad when it comes out.

Anyways, enough babbling on my part, I'll just sit back and watch in standby as I wait...

19. nickfrancis86 macrumors newbie

I jailbroke my iPad pretty much as soon as I got it, I bought it with the intention of jailbreaking it. It is so much more versatile, so much more that you can do. One of the newest upgrades i think is great is the RetinaPad tweak. Far superior to FullForce, i dont know why this is something apple dont already do. For the people that are interested psx4all runs brilliantly using RetinaPad. I just wish that i had wiimote, that would finish it off for me. I wouldnt hold your breath for psx4ipad any time soon. allthough i would still get it if/when it came/comes out. Things that i love using are, ifile maily just to move files between apps. iconoclasm is pretty cool, i have an issue with it when using folders if it has too many apps in the folder. infinifolders, again something apple should already do. uremote app that was chucked from the app store, if your into that sort of thing. i use sneshd and psx4all all the time too.

i could go on for ages but it is definitly worth jailbreaking.

if your new to it all i would wait until you can do it untethered as when you first jailbreak you will find that you will be curious about what things do and download a load of crap and will keep rebooting.

if you are a vet then def go for the recent 4.2.1 redsn0w tethered get what you need do the few reboots that are required then enjoy. you will rarely need to reboot unless you obviously get something that requires it and you should be able to guess if it needs a reboot. JUST DONT LET YOUR BATTERY DIE!!

20. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

This is a pretty old thread.

As for JBing a 3.2 Pad...it is a no brainer. I might not have liked the pad as well. In fact, I will NOT upgrade my iPad 3.2 until they have an untethered JB to get to 4.2.1 because 1) no real reason and 2) HATE that Apple changed the rotation lock. HATE!!! I use that rotation lock many times a day, personally when I am bymyself, and when I am showing people stuff on my pad. Usually, I keep it locked, but I unlock it to switch it to different orientations a dozen times a day. 3) I use a USB Card reader to transfer images. Infact, I SOLD the SD card slot. I have cameras that use CF, so, it was a logical solution. I bought the CCK got a card reader that worked for both the SD and the CF, and sold the Apple SD card reader. Apple pulled a FAST one and dumbed down the USB port. The port WAS able to hook up a keyboard to it. Not that I ever wanted to, but I had a small Apple Keyboard that was available if I needed to hammer out a lot of text. Not any more...at least not as a unJB 4.2.1.

3.2 with JB allowed for as many icons in my dock. Folders...with as many apps in them as I wanted (at least more than 12). Tap to Unlock (I HATE sliding to unlock...what a PITA!!!!). Quick access to Brightness...and equally importat to turn off Wifi when out in public places where there IS a wifi, but it is closed...causing the iPad to want to connect to it. It was easier to just let 3g kick in.

Virtual Memory and Backgrounder have been KEY reasons to have my iPad JBed.

I have also used the tethering a great deal...but I consider this to be a bit on the shady side of why JB. All of the above should be allowed by Apple. It is our dang device. I came from the Newton era, and Apple allowed us to install whatever we want. If it were for JB, I probably would have been FAR more eager to jump to Android.

There are less reasons to JB a 4.2.1 pad because of things like built in Multitasking, but still some really good reasons still exist. I do want to upgrade my iPad since managing apps with Categories is awkward at best, but there are too many reasons to wait. I just hope they they can eventually do it...JB 4.2.1 that is.

21. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

I totally agree... There are a few things I want in 4.1 on my iPad, but I'm also waiting. Tethered jb is to much of a hassle. Thanks to backgrounder & categories sb, I'm happy. Other then managing the folders, I prefer the way folders & backgrounding work on 3.x... I find it easier to manage memory that way. I don't wanna go through the trouble of jailbreaking, just to redo it when the untether comes out. It does however suck for those that just got their iPad, for Xmas or whatever. My friend just got one, & now wants to jailbreak it and his iPhone 4, but can't... His iPhone is still at 4.1, so I might get that working with greenpois0n, just hope it doesn't fail. He doesn't have his hashes saved so if it fails & we have to restore, he will be stuck updated. Guess it could be worse. Oh well, guess we just gotta be patient.

22. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I updated to 4.2.1 and jailbroke it. Before I did it, I didn't ever want to have a tethered jailbreak. However, I have not once needed to reboot my iPad once I did the jb and I am very careful to make sure to not totally drain the battery. Of course, that's only my iPad. I still would never have a tethered jb for my i4. I do occasionally reboot it.

23. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Couldn't be more happier.

No Lagg

Faster since now I run only the App and Services I want and not what Apples wants

24. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Exactly the same for me...

25. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Feel exactly the same way. I had experience of the previous tethered JB on iPhone and thought I would never recommend it on the iPad, but a couple of months on and I've barely had to reboot at all... Considering how stable it is I would have no hesitation recommending it to people until the untethered version is ready for general release...