Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
So I am debating on getting the black or white iphone 4s. I currently have the black iphone 4. I was wondering if anyone can see a difference in their white iphones. For example, color disfiguration. Is your phone changing to a yellowish color? Does white iphones have a higher resell value? Thanks in advance for your input. :)

tx26257

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would be interested to

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
So I am debating on getting the black or white iphone 4s. I currently have the black iphone 4. I was wondering if anyone can see a difference in their white iphones. For example, color disfiguration. Is your phone changing to a yellowish color? Does white iphones have a higher resell value? Thanks in advance for your input. :)

White iPhones definitely have a higher resale value, at least now. As far as color changes or anything, no. It's under the glass. I haven't noticed this on either model.

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
I would like to second this question, and add one.

Do you have problems with dirt on or around the small white plastic bezel around the screen?

jcapz

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Thanks for the info! I was just wondering this last night because if and when I upgrade, I was thinking of switching to the white one. Always wondered if the white plastic around the bezel looked discolored easily.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Exactly. When I got my iPad 2, I went to the store and played around with the white model (I already had the original iPad so was familiar with the black).

To me, and maybe it was the store lighting, but the iPad 2 just seemed to have a yellowish cast to the white. I looked at a few of them and they all looked that way. That turned me off so I ended up getting the black one, and I'm happy with it.

Once again, with the iPhone 4S, I'm revisiting the possibility of white. Will probably have to go to the store again to get my hands on one.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
I remember someone posting on here a while ago regarding the plastic besel around the screen getting a bit dirty or something.

Not going to phase me though, definitely getting one in white this time around.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
White iPhones definitely have a higher resale value, at least now. As far as color changes or anything, no. It's under the glass. I haven't noticed this on either model.

True...I sold my white 32GB AT&T on eBay for $550 last week. The black version of the same was going for over $100 less!

But... White has been out for only a few months... less on the market used... so their worth more. This time next year, I can't say it would be the same scenario.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Curious as well...

While i'm disappointed about no iPhone 5, i have always liked the iPhone 4 design.... So, because of my urge to have shiny new things :D and having carried a black one from day one, i'm considering a white iPhone 4s this time around... Come to think of it... i'm sure apple has considered all of the iPhone 4 customers that wanted a white phone but couldnt get one, will now get a white iPhone 4s.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I've been using a white iPhone for 3-4 months and haven't seen any discolouration at all. No issues either with dirt or stuff going around creases or the home button.

I say if you're interested in it and had the black iPhone 4 then try it out and do it different for the 4S.

8ght

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
And another question for you who have seen it or own(ed) it: does your impression of the color differ between seeing it on the web and the real thing, and in what way? (yes I should probably get my lazy ass over to a store)

Dubthedankest

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2010
The whites are totally fine. I got mine on the day of the white launch and it still looks brand new. No issues with dirt or dust and it doesn't show fingerprints nearly as bad as the black.

I was quoted $280 from Gazelle for the 32GB which looks to be in line with the black model.

As far as looks it looks pretty much exactly like it does in all the Apple promo videos online - amazing.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
And another question for you who have seen it or own(ed) it: does your impression of the color differ between seeing it on the web and the real thing, and in what way? (yes I should probably get my lazy ass over to a store)

Even more amazing seeing and holding it in person. Couple close friends of mine who always bought the black iPhone (3G, 3GS, 4) and are fans of the black design - when they saw white in person they said "I think next time i'm going to consider the white. Something about it is hard to resist".

tubalores

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
Love

I haven't had any issues with my white iphone 4 at all! I have carried it both in cases and naked and still nothing. I was concerned as well, as I wear makeup, carry the phone in pockets and in purses, and generally did not want to constantly be cleaning the phone. iP4 is still stark white and beautiful after months and months of constant use!

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
While i'm disappointed about no iPhone 5, i have always liked the iPhone 4 design.... So, because of my urge to have shiny new things :D and having carried a black one from day one, i'm considering a white iPhone 4s this time around... Come to think of it... i'm sure apple has considered all of the iPhone 4 customers that wanted a white phone but couldnt get one, will now get a white iPhone 4s.

I'm in the same boat. I wanted a white iPhone from the day they were announced, but bought black instead since it was the only option at the time. All the new features, plus a shiny, new, white phone are rather enticing.

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
Good to hear the white is fine. :) Wouldn't even think about getting a black 4S to be honest, white all the way! :D

RyCan3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
thanks everyone for their input. I think White it is!!!

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
I've had both black and white iphone 4 Currently using white. White looks much better and doesn't look as smudged and fingerprinted with normal use. The white does not discolor it is behind the glass. Edges can get dirt... just have to clean them... I use no protection on my phone.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm getting white too. Can't wait. Though I've had a few silly texts off my pals saying the white one is for woman. !! Oh well. I don't care. !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.