Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henrynw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Hello,

Does anyone know the percentage of Mac users who are still running a 32-bit system, versus 64-bit?

If anyone has a link to some online survey results, that would be awesome.

We are building some software and want to know if there's any point in supported 32 bit.

Thanks.

Henry

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Don't forget about the iPhone it is 32-bit.

It isn't a Macintosh however it does share a lot of base code with OSX.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Very nice, but it doesn't address his question at all.

What he needs to know (and what I'm curious about) is what percentage of Mac users are using 32-bit only systems (eg, G3, G4, and Core Duo) versus the percentage using 64-bit-capable systems (g5, Core 2 Duo, etc.)

Read the article and you'll realize no matter what % are running what, unless 64bit is needed, then 32bit would work fine. Simple logic would also deduce that good number of people are running 64bit macs due to the rapid adoption of Apple computers in the past years. Do the math to figure out what % has what. I can find the data and do a good estimation within an hour or 2.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
Read the article and you'll realize no matter what % are running what, unless 64bit is needed, then 32bit would work fine.
Absolutely flawless logic. If all you need is a 32-bit space, then naturally all you need is a 32-bit space.

But it doesn't answer the question.

Simple logic would also deduce that good number of people are running 64bit macs due to the rapid adoption of Apple computers in the past years. Do the math to figure out what % has what. I can find the data and do a good estimation within an hour or 2.

Obviously, we only need to know how many Macs were sold in the 32-bit era, how many Macs were sold in the 64-bit era, and then add the numbers up and divide, right? I mean, Apple releases sales numbers every quarter!

Hmm.

Wait.

It seems like Apple's sales numbers aren't broken down by processor, or even model. All we get are "desktops" and "laptops" every quarter.

Mmmm. And it seems that Apple was selling 32-bit and 64-bit desktops simultaneously from 2003 up until 2007 or so. That's a looooong time.

And...oh yeah...we don't know how many of the older machines have been replaced, or have broken down. We can't assume that all of those old G4s are still alive and kicking, can we?

How we are to find the answers we seek?

otis123

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
not alot of stuff uses 64bit yet, hell programmers just started taking advantage of multiple cores, hardware is often years ahead of software.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Hello,

Does anyone know the percentage of Mac users who are still running a 32-bit system, versus 64-bit?

We are building some software and want to know if there's any point in supported 32 bit.

Thanks.

Henry

Apple will. It's likely this stat or simliar will be discussed at WWDC if it isn't easily findable.

Riverbird

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
My Macintosh says I have a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz. Is this a 32-bit processor or 64-bit?

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
My Macintosh says I have a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz. Is this a 32-bit processor or 64-bit?

Googling
"Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz. Is this a 32-bit processor or 64-bit?"
Google says it's 64-bit.

"The Core 2 brand refers to a range of Intel's consumer 64-bit x86-64 single-, dual-, and quad-core CPUs based on the Intel Core microarchitecture".

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hello,

Thanks.

Henry

What benefit will your customers have if your software is 64 bit? Is that benefit worth reducing the number of potential customers by any percentage? Ask your marketing people how sales will be affected.

Riverbird

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Googling
"Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz. Is this a 32-bit processor or 64-bit?"
Google says it's 64-bit.

"The Core 2 brand refers to a range of Intel's consumer 64-bit x86-64 single-, dual-, and quad-core CPUs based on the Intel Core microarchitecture".

Thanks! I remember reading that now... a while back... but I have short term memory loss I guess ><

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
The most recent figures for web traffic show that 1/5 of Mac Users have a PowerPC Mac. Those are pre-Intel users.

Considering that the Intel Core Solo and Core Duo based Macs came out AFTER that and were on sale less than two years ago, there will be many users still using 32 bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.