Perfect hardware on 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aipoun, Oct 8, 2008.

1. aipoun macrumors newbie

hey guys, good forums, glad to join in...

here's the deal: i might be getting the 3G in a couple of weeks, for my birthday. Officially unlocked (Belgium). A lot of money: 615 Euros for the 16GB black.

While I am not particularly worried about software glitches or missing features (as they will come around eventually via updates), I AM VERY WORRIED about hardware issues. Like most Mac users, I am picky about my gadgets. And I do want the perfect piece of hardware delivered through the Iphone 3G.

Anyone out there who can ease my anxiety? LOL
    Are cracking casings rather the exception?
    Are the bezels generally nicely aligned with the plastic back? ETC.

Can anyone say ''I have the perfect 3G''?
    Meaning:
    - no dead pixels
    - no dust under screen
    - no out-of-the-box scratches
    - no misalignment of bezel and plastic back
    - no light leak of any sort
    - no sharp edges
    - no sunken buttons
    - NO CRACKS, DENTS in the casing

Cheers!

2. bartelby macrumors Core

I have an black 8GB one and as far as I can tell it's perfect. None of the concerns you've listed.

3. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Welcome to the forums!

Can anyone even say "I have the perfect gadget" or even 'product' in general for that matter?
    If you start nit-picking, chances are you'll always find something to complain about, but overall, I think the cracks in the casings are exceptions, as I've never seen an iPhone 3G with a crack myself. (Only pictures on this forum, really)

By the way ... you might wanna edit that title as it's kinda misleading.

4. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

By those criteria, mine (black 8GB) is perfect.

5. aipoun thread starter macrumors newbie

Misleading? It seems straightforward to me... But do make a suggestion :)

6. TheRiseofTheFal macrumors regular

TheRiseofTheFal

i havent heard as many issues with the black, but my white one developed a fairly substantial crack on the top corner and you can see that the phone has never been dropped no scracthes on the bezel or knicks anywhere else just a nasty crack that you can see and feel with your finger on the corner

7. aipoun thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, but i was looking for 3Gs NOT displaying the above issues...

8. aipoun thread starter macrumors newbie

okaaay, good news... thanks!

9. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Before anything, welcome to the forum. :) I hope you can get your perfect iPhone, as soon as you get it forget about defects. Only use it.

Maybe change it to something like: Does anyone has a perfect iPhone 3G? :):apple:

10. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

When reading the title, I expected to see a topic about the perfect 3G internet connection or something similar, but I guess it's just me then :)

11. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Mine (16GB Black) has none of the issues listed...As far as I can tell, it's perfect.

12. icewing macrumors 6502

I also have a black 16 that has been perfect so far.

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have:

Sunken Buttons
    Loose Buttons
    3 Light Leaks
    1 Crack
    My Screen has the Horizontal Lines when you move it

14. martinmartin macrumors 6502

in my opinion, the most widespread 'imperfections' are:

1. slanted and/or depressed sleep/wake button.
    2. volume/mute slider that doesn't click or move smoothly.

my white iphone has both of these problems, and no others...

15. danielforman macrumors regular

I have had 8 yes that's right 8 iPhone 3Gs due to numerous defects including cracked casing, dead/stuck pixels, loose buttons, really rough edges, light leak causing quite a bit of dust to get under the glass. However, each unit has had at least 2 issues and O2 or Apple have always quite happily replaced them and have said these issues should not be present.

But I have had my 8th one for a few weeks now and is ok except for one problem. Half the LCD has, what I would call, the proper iPhone colour tones. But on the right half of the screen is a blue tint which is extremely annoying as the right half of the screen does not look as clear and sharp on things like text, bit blurry in other words.

Now I have tried restoring the firmware to see if it makes any difference but it hasn't. Have spoken to Apple and they seem a bit reluctant to getting it in to the repair centre as I have had so many already. However, I have said to the customer service guy I would wait til the next firmware comes out to see if makes any difference at all. If not I think I will be phoning them again because it is noticeable when using it and does hurt my eyes after looking at the screen for a while. Not so bad on black/dark screens but is more noticeable on white backgrounds.

So as you can see so far I have yet to find, not a perfect iPhone, but a decent one. I am not expecting to get one without some kind of issue but something minor would not bother me but when it affects the viewing of the screen then I see that as something that should be addressed as after all the screen is the part of the iPhone you look at the most.

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Mine has some light leaks, but I never notice it. I only found out when I was looking for them after reading threads about that issue.

17. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

My 16gb Black is perfect.
    Well.... perfect other than turn by turn gps.

18. crazylegsmurphy macrumors 6502

Well, interesting that you posted this topic. I actually have my 3rd phone coming today (at least I hope today because my other SIM has been shut off since Monday night).

Here is a breakdown of my iPhone problems.

1st Phone (Store bought)
    16 Gig: Black

- Light leak on left side
    - Camera Slow to respond (couldn't take a non-blurry pic)
    - Plastic cracked between headphone jack and bezel

2nd Phone (Replacement)

- Glass sunken on right hand side
    - Bezel not aligned and had sharp edges
    - Light leak left hand side
    - Plastic cracked between headphone jack and bezel (after plugging in headphones)

3rd Phone (Replacement)

- I'll update later today if it actually comes.

My personal opinion is growing stronger and stronger that these phones simply are junk. I'll admit that the software is fun to use and I have had some fun times with my phone, but it's simply not worth the cost in both time and money.

I was sucked into getting an iPhone with it's flashy jive and it's promise of awesome, but I should have stuck to my "no Apple products" policy because I have spent so much time dealing with Rogers concerning shoddy phones that I would have rather just purchased a blackberry and been done with it (Yes my friends/family all have blackberries and not a single one has had issues).

So, honestly, if I could give you my advice, either look for an alternative device, or don't leave that store until you have checked that phone over top to bottom and you're satisfied it meets ever single point you made....but even then, I can't say that I can guarantee it won't develop cracks a few weeks/months later.

The simple fact is, the iPhone is not a quality product.

19. aluren macrumors 65816

wow, it's unfortunate you run into so many problems. have you filed a lawsuit yet? :p

anyways, my iPhone 3G 16gb works perfectly fine with no physical imperfections. you will love it.

20. aipoun thread starter macrumors newbie

Has build quality not improved? do latest models also have issues? are certain build weeks prone to imperfections?

21. poenix macrumors newbie

22. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

Apples Quality is trash! Every iphone i have owned has had one of the following issues!
    My 2G iphone had dead pixels , the replacement apple gave me had dead pixels, the replacement again did not vibrate.
    My 3G iphone again had dead pixels, then the replacement has sunken buttons! The current replacement is doing fine though!:apple:

23. crazylegsmurphy macrumors 6502

Can't say for sure...I have had my first phone since Sept 14th, and the second one since, about the 25th, so unless they have drastically changed something in the last two weeks I would think not.

I know you don't want to hear this advice...but if you're dead set on getting an iPhone, I say wait 3 - 6 months and see if anything develops.

I'm stuck with this POS and the contract for 3 years and if I could get out of it without it costing me even more time and money I would in a heartbeat. The best I can hope for now is call Rogers every 2 months and request a replacement phone if something is wrong with the phone I get next.

I have to say that Apple has "defeated my spirit" as they say, because unless something is horribly wrong with the phone, I simply don't care enough to deal with it at this point.

What I am going to do (if there is an issue) is call Rogers and tell them there is a problem with the replacement they sent, but not to send a new one yet as I'll be calling back in 4 - 5 months if I read of any developments regarding the build quality.

24. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

week 34 iphone built - perfect :)

25. aipoun thread starter macrumors newbie

well, i could in theory still buy it now, maybe get lucky and snatch a perfect one, or wait 3-6 months and have it swapped for the ''if anything develops'' bit